Skip to content
Disappearing Positive
morningeorgia posted:
I know most people are here looking for answers, not to give them, but has anyone here experienced a positive pregnancy test with a disappearing test line? I've had 3 tests in the past day that came up positive but then faded away within 10 minutes. Some websites say this is probably a positive, and some say it's probably a negative. Any one out there have any ideas? I'm going to keep testing, but I thought I'd ask.

Any help would be appreciated. We've been TTC for 4.5 years and had 3 early losses. I'm high risk so I need to find out if I'm pregnant ASAP so that I can start getting daily injections.

Take the Poll

A disappearing positive pregnancy test is...
  • ...still a positive!
  • ...probably negative
  • ...no idea, keep testing!
vote
View Poll Results

beckie_33 responded:
Most tests say not to continue to read the test after 2-3 min because the line can fade. If you are getting a positive test result then you are most likely pregnant. Congrats!!!

No need to keep wasting money on more tests. Call your OB and set up your first prenatal visit.

reb_hun responded:
think you should go to walmart, they have a test for less then a dollar. it could just be the test that you're taking. if you have a birthright near where you're at they do free pregnancy tests too.. if those tests keep doing that, you should probably go in and get a blood test just to be on the safe side. good luck and hopefully happy and healthy 9 months!!

hgreenwood7058 responded:
You should go in for a blood draw. Generally positive tests will still show up positive even after the time limit. Its when it shows negative and then after 10 minutes that shows a line is an evap and should not be considered positive which is not your case. It is possible that you are pregnant and its possible you experienced an evap line. What type of test are you using? If you are using the blue dye tests try using a First response test (red line). Or see about getting a blood draw. More so a hcg quantitative levels which will tell you the number verses a yes/no so that if you are early it will still show. Good luck
Heather(24),DH Lee(25)PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 4/17/12. Carson Lee born 3/31/12.

morningeorgia replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Thank you so much for your thoughts and advice, all of you! I've been using the Early Pregnancy Test Strips (from early-pregnancy-tests.com), and I was told by customer service to interpret the result only at the 5 minute mark. I've tried a couple more times since then with no positive result at all. Also, my BBT dropped today and I started spotting so I believe AF is on the way...

...I feel like crying. I'm tired of doing this over and over. It will be 2 years since we lost our first and about a year since our second and third...nearly 5 years of TTC in all. But I know some people have it worse, so I guess I just have to hang in there.

wanderson2012 replied to morningeorgia's response:
I'm so sorry to hear this, it seems like you've been through alot But, to answer your question, I've also experienced this. Mine was with the cheap .88 WalMart tests. I took it, waited no longer than a minute and then saw a 2nd line appear, only to disappear. I was so happy, thinking I got a but I didn't. I wasn't pregnant. IDK what's going on but maybe we both just got "dud" tests? I'd NEVER rely on the cheap .88 Wal-Mart tests, just bc they've let me down wayyy too many times. I'm sorry for your loss- I've lost 1 baby so I can't imagine how you feel. Hang in there. BIG HUGS & Baby Dust to you!

morningeorgia replied to wanderson2012's response:
So sorry to hear about your loss, too! I know what you mean about the cheap tests...I've had a false positive before with a dollar store test. The Early-Pregnancy-Tests strips are supposed to be very sensitive and reliable - the best on the market - but it looks like I'll have to be more careful about following directions. I guess the second line can appear when the dye line gets soaked with urine, but it doesn't actually react by changing colors (because there's no HCG), and so it disappears. And then sometimes, after the urine dries, the residue sticks to the dye line and makes it appear darker (an evaporation line), and so for both reasons they tell you not to read the result outside of the time. So frustrating though, I feel you! GOOD LUCK! Hugs and Baby Dust right back at ya!
- Jen (25); DH Ben (28); TTC since 6/08; MC1 12/10; MC2 1/12; MC3 2/12; DX PCOS, Recurrent MC, Protein C Deficiency, Uterine Polyps, Endometriosis

kennadismommy2 responded:
Same happened to me last month. I had a faint faint disappearing positive line. Had a weird short irregular period then the following month...I was about a week late on my period. I took a first response pregnancy test and it came back positive. The next day I took another to make sure...and it was a faint positive at first but after the 3 minutes it was clear as day!! so do not doubt yourself or your body!

liznmike2008 replied to kennadismommy2's response:
took the test to early if you havent messed your peroid dont take a test till after you have missed.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My Husband and I have been ttc since last year! I had a miscarriage last year in april 2010 I didnt even no I was pregnant. Now we are trying and have...More

Helpful Tips

Not sure if i am pregnant
I had a lapse between my old birth control and my new one and during that time had sex without protection due to the fact i'm allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.