Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pregnancy Test smudged
An_250101 posted:
I haven't actually missed my period, still two to three days away but had unprotected sex around the time of ovulation, so I am thinking that I may be. Question is: took a pregnancy test today that showed negative with a smudge going into the top part of the positive line. It wasn't a whole line just a smudge into, like starting the line. Does that mean it's still a posiive? Or is it negative? Or if I am pregnant is it still too early for the pregnancy hormone to be detected fully? Was the test defective? I plan to take another test but I can also wait to see if I start since it isn't that far away now.

mthrof1 responded:
I am now officially late for my period! Having a little cramping, breast are achey, and very emotional with mood swings. Is this pregnancy or is my period just going to be a few days late?

tlkittycat1968 replied to mthrof1's response:
How late is your period? I've had mine be 3 days late without being pregnant. I'd wait a few days and see if it comes and if it doesn't, take another test.
Proud mommy to PJ (5)

mthrof1 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
I am 3 days late now!

I would still wait a few days. If it's a week late with no signs of showing, take a test.
Proud mommy to PJ (5)

mthrof1 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
I was going to wait until at least tomorrow or thurs. and see. I have been having twinges in my uterus. My breasts are getting really sore around the nipples and the little bumps are showing more than normal. Don't really know if they are darker, though. I have been extremely wet down there with white thick mucous, although it's not in my panties like usual though. Is this just impending period or pregancy? Getting really impatient here...Also, I have one child already but I don't remember all these symptoms. The only thing I noticed in early pregnancy was implantation bleeding.

mthrof1 replied to mthrof1's response:
NOW, I am 5 days late. Took a pg test and it came up negative. Is it still too early? Is something else going on? Or is my period just going to be extremely late? It's never this late, by the way, it's either a day early or a day late!

You may be one of those women who take longer to show on a pregnancy test than others. I'd wait another few days before testing again.
Proud mommy to PJ (5)

An_250209 replied to mthrof1's response:
I'm in the same situation!! I am now a week late and am never late! i have taken a couple of different pregnancy tests and they have come out negative. I am getting very impatient and stressed out. what is going on?? I wish you the best and hope you get the result you want soon!

mthrof1 replied to An_250209's response:
Thanks. This is very confusing. My first pregnancy, as soon as I missed my period I knew I was pregnant but don't remember how long after that I took a test. I only took one and as soon as the control showed up so did the positive results. So, I'm not understanding this at all. My body, though, just does not feel like it usually does when I am about to start. It just feels different!!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

The story I need to tell is the one about fighting infertility, through the two miscarriages and finally the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel-t...More

Helpful Tips

Why 1st morning urine?
I bet some of you are wonder why you should always use 1st morning urine when testing with home tests. Well the theory is that because ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 69 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.