Skip to content
could i be pregnant
bubbles2022 posted:
am 16 years old and me and my boyfriend have been trying for a baby
a couple weeks ago i thaught i was pregnant because i had bad back pains and i was more tired than normal and i had very light red discharge and sometimes a dark brown...then i got my period but it was really light so i dont know if it was....just a couple days ago after we tried again ive been getting bad cramps and i have had some really strange cravings..if im not pregnant i dont get why because i have sex quite frequentley and we do not use protection....any help???

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Why in the world are you trying to get pregnant at 16? Are you able to support the baby should your boyfriend leave you alone? Do you at least have a high school diploma?

I'd seriously re-think having a baby at 16.
Proud mommy to PJ (5)

lovebird79 responded:
If you think you are pregnant than you should take a home pregnancy test and go to the doctor.

A bit of advice... 16 is a very young age to start a family and 9 times out of 10 couples at that age do not last - not that you won't, but be prepared for anything.... so my advice is, stop trying for 6 months and talk to a trusted adult (doctor, older sibling, etc). 6 months seems like a long time, but it will help you know for sure if this is really what you want.

Also, a very important step in becoming a mother is thinking about the future of your baby and make sure you have considered several things:

1. Do you have health insurance? besides labor (which I've heard can cost upwards of $10,000 with insurance), babies need a lot of medical support to ensure that are no issues early on.

2. Are you in a solid, stable relationship? the last thing you need is to be pregnant or a new mommy and going through a breakup - make sure you have a honest discussion with the father regarding this.

3. Make sure you understand why you want a baby. My sister had a baby because "finally I will have someone who will love me unconditionally"... life has been very difficult for her - she loves her child but because she had selfish motives, she realized after the fact that she wasn't ready

4. Understand how this is going to 100% change your life. Have a plan in place for finishing school and make sure the father does as well.

5. Do you have a good financial source for the baby? They can be expensive... diapers, formula (if needed), doctors, vaccinations, daycare, etc.

An_250560 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
This is a rather judgemental response and, if anything, is just going to anger a teenager.

What she needs right now is support and someone she can trust to talk to her about how it will change her life... not someone to judge her.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me and my husband have just recently started trying last 2 months i got negetive tests and got my period as per normal now this month my period is due...More

Helpful Tips

(((KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF DURING YOUR PREGNANCY)))
Wouldn't It be great to go through out your pregnancy without adding those unwanted pounds? Well now you can, and I advise you to watch ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.