Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
could i be pregnant
bubbles2022 posted:
am 16 years old and me and my boyfriend have been trying for a baby
a couple weeks ago i thaught i was pregnant because i had bad back pains and i was more tired than normal and i had very light red discharge and sometimes a dark brown...then i got my period but it was really light so i dont know if it was....just a couple days ago after we tried again ive been getting bad cramps and i have had some really strange cravings..if im not pregnant i dont get why because i have sex quite frequentley and we do not use protection....any help???

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Why in the world are you trying to get pregnant at 16? Are you able to support the baby should your boyfriend leave you alone? Do you at least have a high school diploma?

I'd seriously re-think having a baby at 16.
Proud mommy to PJ (5)

lovebird79 responded:
If you think you are pregnant than you should take a home pregnancy test and go to the doctor.

A bit of advice... 16 is a very young age to start a family and 9 times out of 10 couples at that age do not last - not that you won't, but be prepared for anything.... so my advice is, stop trying for 6 months and talk to a trusted adult (doctor, older sibling, etc). 6 months seems like a long time, but it will help you know for sure if this is really what you want.

Also, a very important step in becoming a mother is thinking about the future of your baby and make sure you have considered several things:

1. Do you have health insurance? besides labor (which I've heard can cost upwards of $10,000 with insurance), babies need a lot of medical support to ensure that are no issues early on.

2. Are you in a solid, stable relationship? the last thing you need is to be pregnant or a new mommy and going through a breakup - make sure you have a honest discussion with the father regarding this.

3. Make sure you understand why you want a baby. My sister had a baby because "finally I will have someone who will love me unconditionally"... life has been very difficult for her - she loves her child but because she had selfish motives, she realized after the fact that she wasn't ready

4. Understand how this is going to 100% change your life. Have a plan in place for finishing school and make sure the father does as well.

5. Do you have a good financial source for the baby? They can be expensive... diapers, formula (if needed), doctors, vaccinations, daycare, etc.

An_250560 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
This is a rather judgemental response and, if anything, is just going to anger a teenager.

What she needs right now is support and someone she can trust to talk to her about how it will change her life... not someone to judge her.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Fiancee and I have been together since 2003..we have a reconstructed family. A little bit of his (DD Rinoa, 9) and a little bit of mine (DD Emily, 10 ...More

Helpful Tips

It's been 20 years sence I had my last child .and I had a tube . and I forgot how it feel to bee pregnant. I feel that I am but don't know More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 10 found this helpful