Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help?
ashleylynn1983 posted:
I have had my Mirena in since June of 2010. For the first 8 months, I had normal periods, and then they suddenly stopped up until August of 2012. Then I started getting regular periods usually around the 25th of the month and lasting about 4-5 days. I went to the clinic in January of 2012 to have my Mirena removed and they told me they couldn't remove it because the strings are gone. That I had to go see a regular OB doc and have an ultrasound to determine the position of the thing to have it removed properly. I don't have med insurance and the doc wants $250 up front to just see me in the office. I cannot afford this so I don't know what to do to get it removed. I'm not even sure if its still there or has shifted or migrated somewhere else into my body. I have painful cramping and sharp pains radiating thru my hips at times. I am now a couple days late on my period and I'm wondering if in fact I may be pregnant because I am having the symptoms. And after 3 kids,I should know. My breast hurt and are swollen and I eat all the time. I'm tired a lot and sometimes I feel like just throwing up. I want another child but cant afford to have it removed so of it fell out, thatd not be a bad thing. I wonder if it fell out, but I think I would know if it had come out on its own, right? I mean it's a piece of plastic. I should have felt it. Does anyone have any Really GOOD advice on what I should do to find out if its still in there and if so, how to get it removed. I don't have medical insurance and absolutely don't have the money to go to the doctor. Borrowing the money isn't an option either. Can anyone help me figure this out so I can get this prob taken care of?

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Well, it wouldn't migrate anywhere else in your body.

Is there a Planned Parenthood near you? I believe they offer low-cost gynecological services.
Proud mommy to PJ (5)

ashleylynn1983 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
There isn't one that I'm aware of. I called the OB clinic here n town to find out my options and she told me on the phone that if I don't have insurance or the money, then I'm basically screwed cuz they won't see me and I basically have to leave it in, regardless of the problems I have w it in.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! I am Katie and we're from Toledo, Ohio. I am 21, married, and we have an amazing little 2yr. old boy named Gavin. He's our miracle baby...More

Helpful Tips

Why 1st morning urine?
I bet some of you are wonder why you should always use 1st morning urine when testing with home tests. Well the theory is that because ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 69 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.