Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Best Birth Control
Anon_166687 posted:
I am 30 years old and very adamantly against ever having children. I have been with my bf for 3.5 years now. We were talking tonight about how I don't feel comfortable any longer using my Mirena as a birth control method. Before I moved in with him, my gyno assured me that Mirena was the strongest form of birth control out there. In fact, I told her I wanted my tubes tied at 27 if it meant never getting pregnant, but she assured me Mirena was even more effective than ligation. I just told my boyfriend tonight that I'm reading all these stories where girls are getting pregnant on Mirena. My boyfriend has never once ejaculated inside me. Still, I know pre-ejaculatory fluid is just as concentrated and can cause pregnancy. I told him I was thinking about a total hysterectomy, and he said it made him look at me in a completely different light as if he didn't even know me. It blew his mind. I'm devastated. I actually think the statement may have ruined our relationship. I guess my question is, is pulling out on Mirena enough? Do I move forward with a hysterectomy? I will do whatever it takes to not have a child.

Jhawkchick responded:
Can I ask why you're so adamantly against the idea of having children? I'm not judging...it just seems a complete hysterectomy is a bit drastic for someone your age. Does your BF feel the same way?

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I agree with the pp that a hysterectomy is a bit drastic. I would talk to your doctor about possibly getting your tubes tied along with using Mirena.
Proud mommy to PJ (5)

helplessone22 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
That's such a great idea! Now I just need a gyno. Haven't been to one in like 3 years now, and I've moved states.

Spotlight: Member Stories

im a first time hopefully mommy :)) me and my boyfriend absouletly adore children and cant wait to have our first any advice yall have would be wonder...More

Helpful Tips

It's been 20 years sence I had my last child .and I had a tube . and I forgot how it feel to bee pregnant. I feel that I am but don't know More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 10 found this helpful