Skip to content
Best Birth Control
Anon_166687 posted:
I am 30 years old and very adamantly against ever having children. I have been with my bf for 3.5 years now. We were talking tonight about how I don't feel comfortable any longer using my Mirena as a birth control method. Before I moved in with him, my gyno assured me that Mirena was the strongest form of birth control out there. In fact, I told her I wanted my tubes tied at 27 if it meant never getting pregnant, but she assured me Mirena was even more effective than ligation. I just told my boyfriend tonight that I'm reading all these stories where girls are getting pregnant on Mirena. My boyfriend has never once ejaculated inside me. Still, I know pre-ejaculatory fluid is just as concentrated and can cause pregnancy. I told him I was thinking about a total hysterectomy, and he said it made him look at me in a completely different light as if he didn't even know me. It blew his mind. I'm devastated. I actually think the statement may have ruined our relationship. I guess my question is, is pulling out on Mirena enough? Do I move forward with a hysterectomy? I will do whatever it takes to not have a child.
Jhawkchick responded:
Can I ask why you're so adamantly against the idea of having children? I'm not just seems a complete hysterectomy is a bit drastic for someone your age. Does your BF feel the same way?
tlkittycat1968 responded:
I agree with the pp that a hysterectomy is a bit drastic. I would talk to your doctor about possibly getting your tubes tied along with using Mirena.
Proud mommy to PJ (5)
helplessone22 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
That's such a great idea! Now I just need a gyno. Haven't been to one in like 3 years now, and I've moved states.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi i am 29 and my husband is 43 and we are thinking about starting our own family, however we are new at this so my question to anyone is should we ha...More

Helpful Tips

trying to get pregnant
.. im trying to get pregnant for 2 yrs.. im nearly hopeless..pls help More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.