Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pregnant?
kaylem45 posted:
Hey there.
I've never done anything like this but I've gone to doctors, friends and family trying to figure out what could possibly be going on but haven't gotten a helpful answer.

My problem is, I'm on NuvaRing birth control and have been for almost a year now and haven't had any problems with it until the past few weeks. I took it out on time on Feb 25th and started my period that day and it lasted about 5 days like it normally does. The only unusual thing about it was it was very light to where I could wear a regular size tampon for hours and it would be barely covered. The next Monday, I put my new NuvaRing in.

Well, after it stopped, about a week later, i started having light red, kind of pink very light spotting, along with very intense nausea and cramps to the point where I can't sleep and I can barely eat. It also doesn't help that I go from freezing with a blanket on me to feeling like I'm in an oven, poring sweat on and off all day and night, which, I don't know if that has anything to do with the situation or not. But, at first I just suspected my period got off cycle somehow but now I'm not so sure it's even a period. I've had many people suggest impantation bleeding but I don't really know what that is and the internet isn't very informative.

Me and my boyfriend have been having unprotected sex quite often so I don't know if pregnancy is a possibility or not. If anyone has been through a similar situation or has any advice, please let me know.

lovebird79 responded:
It could very well be implantation bleeding.
Implantation bleeding is a very light pinkish/red/or brownish discharge that women get when a fertilized egg implants into the uterus.

How long has this been going on?

You could have the flu (it's that time of year) and that could throw your cycle off a lot.

If you think that you may be pregnant, take a home pregnancy test.

Also, what does your doctor say about it?

kaylem45 replied to lovebird79's response:
The spotting lasted about 2 days. It started off a little heavier and then eventually kind of just faded away, but I've been having nausea ever since, especially right when I wake up but that's really the only symptom I've been having except the hot and cold thing. I haven't had a cough or sore throat or anything. My doctor is trying to fit me in to get examined to see if I am sick and he also wants to do a pap smear to see if there's anything wrong there caused by the NuvaRing. But, he said if that was causing a problem, it would usually have some kind of pain but all I have is the nausea. If I don't get in to see him soon I probably will get a home pregnancy test just to be sure. I've just never had anything happen like this and my doctor isn't being too informative.

Ready2bMommi responded:
Im in that situation kind of... it started spotting 7days missed periods then got a little heavy the nexy day for 1 day... Now its the 2nd day and its light again like its going away... im confused... and when i bleed when my cycle is on... i bleed heavy(sorry tmi)...

kaylem45 replied to lovebird79's response:
Now I'm having a couple more intense symptoms. The smell of eggs and onions make me leave the house, i start throwing up, and today i walked into the house and smelled apples which have been in our fruit bowl for a few days but the smell was just so overwhelming like there was an apple pie in the oven. Also, every little thing irritates me where i'm going off on someone, mostly my bf which i feel really bad about, to where i just burst into tears and i can't help it, which isn't like me at all. I haven't gotten any sleep last night because I was so iritated over a small thing and it just escalated to where i was pretty much yelling and crying all night. I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out if I really am pregnant or if I'm just losing it lol

tlkittycat1968 replied to kaylem45's response:
Have you taken a test?
Proud mommy to PJ (5)

A_Carter responded:
Hi, I'm currently in a similar situation (I posted something about it), but I am not on any Birth Control.

I do understand that Birth Control is pretty effective, but nothing is 100%. The way I understand it, is that implantation bleeding occurs a few days after conception, when the embryo implants itself into the lining of your uterus to begin its growth.

Lets say you have been fertilized, you are not yet considered "pregnant" until the blastoyst has implanted in your lining- this occurs about 3 days after conception. I understand that this implantation process sometimes causes light bleeding, usually light pink. Its very rare that any other bleeding continues during the early months of pregnancy, but apparently this does happen.

My advice to you would be to wait a while and take a home pregnancy test. I don't know what brands are available to you, but there are some "early detection" pregnancy tests on the market that should detect a pregnancy up to 4 days before your period is due.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been here at WebMD since 2007, but I've been involved in social media and moderated communities online since 1994, so you know I just lo...More

Helpful Tips

Am I Pregnant Poll!
If you're wondering if you're pregnant, why not add a Poll onto your Discussion? It's easy--just start a Discussion, then beneath the ... More
Was this Helpful?
100 of 133 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.