Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Having Light Period and Worried
An_250927 posted:
I would appreciate any advice you have. I have been on birth control for years now and am always diligent about taking it correctly. I also have a vary mild medical condition that occastionally requires me to take a low dose of doxycycline. I asked my doctor if it would reduce the effectiveness of my birth control, and he said it would not. Because I have no desire to start a family right now, I almost always use a condom when I have sex (in addition to bc).

I took a trip with my boyfriend two weeks ago and decided to be lenient with the condom rule (he forgot to pack them). At this time I was also on doxycylcine, but thought little of it because of what my doctor told me. My period was due on March 12, and it came right on time. I had all of the normal PMS symptoms I usually get. The thing is, my period is lighter than usual. It has not yet ended, but it never got as heavy a it usually does. I did some research and apparently some doctors think doxycycline can reduce the effectiveness of birth control. Naturally, I am freaking out.

I have had a light period like this before (strangely, this happened last March). It was just a weird period and nothing more. I am more nervous this time because of the antibiotic I was on. I have no symptoms of pregnancy other than the irregular period. I know that I am more paranoid than most women about gettig pregant. Even when I know I am being totally safe and responsible it is such a relief when my period starts. My question is if I am being paranoid again, or if there is actually a chance I could be pregnant. Sorry for my rambling (the mind wanders at night), and thanks in advance for your input.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Fiancee and I have been together since 2003..we have a reconstructed family. A little bit of his (DD Rinoa, 9) and a little bit of mine (DD Emily, 10 ...More

Helpful Tips

pregnant with negative test results and then a miscarriage
hi girls u had the worst experience we have been trying to get pregnant for a while and then I missed my period I took 8 pregnancy tests ... More
Was this Helpful?
65 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.