Skip to content
Getting symptoms, but the tests say no :(
An_250963 posted:
Hi everyone, this is my first post! I'm driving myself crazy here, and need some feedback on my situation.
Little bit of background: I'm 43, and recently brought up (again) the subject of a baby with my now partner. I keep telling him time has almost run out if we are ever to have a child of our own. Despite this, he didn't feel we were ready. Hmm.
Anyway, a few days later, we had sex (with a condom). A few days after this I started feeling odd-lots of pain in my breasts, and my usually "period is coming" symptoms-only way too early! I worked out that the day we had sex was day 10 or 11 (can't remember if it was past midnight), and it was a few days after that-around day 14, that I started feeling the pains in my breasts (which I never normally get before a period) and the way-too-early cramping. This cramping continued all the way up to the expected date of my next period (between day 26 and day 28), but no period came!
In addition, I have lots of very dense mucus, the sore breasts are coming and going (they're definitely bigger too), I have headaches often, and feel sick if I don't eat regularly. I'm majorly hungry too-I've gained several pounds in the last 2 weeks because of it. I have only ever missed one period in my life before this (well, one period that wasn't down to pregnancy that is), and that was around 4 years ago. At that time I didn't feel any of these symptoms-my period just didn't show, end of. I have done two pregnancy tests-one on day 28 (the day before my period should have come), and one on day 30 (yesterday). They were both negative. I am now on day 31-Monday 18th March 2013, still with sore and heavy breasts, no period, lots of mucus and feeling generally under the weather.
I have called the doctor's office and spoken to a midwide-she seems to think I am NOT pregnant, and has asked me to go in with a urine sample tomorrow. If this tests negative, she said they will do a blood test (for hcg, I'm guessing).

Am I going crazy here? Do I want a baby so much that my body thinks it is pregnant? (There have been other times I wanted a baby over the years, but the symptoms didn't come then) Or am I probably really pregnant, but it's not showing up yet on the shop-bought tests? I've honestly never had these symptoms before without actually being pregnant. At the same time though, I'm 43...it'd be unusual, right? Another options is that maybe I'm starting peri-menopause. I mentioned this to a midwife recently, when she did a smear test for me because I'd had a little bit of bleeding after that sex on day 10/11. She said she thought it was too soon for that. Incidentally, the smear tests came back looking good.

Any input here would be MUCH appreciated! I've discussed with a friend, and her view is that I find out what's going on before I mention this to my partner-who would NOT be pleased. He can be a bit temperamental to say the least, and I wouldn't mind betting he would accuse me of engineering this somehow, because I've vocalised that I want a baby.

Kindest regards to all

Julie

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a woman of faith! I lost a baby on Sept. 14, 2003 and had a total myomictomy on Oct. 31, 2003. Followed by a Laproscopy on Feb. 24, 2004. My hu...More

Helpful Tips

Not sure if i am pregnant
I had a lapse between my old birth control and my new one and during that time had sex without protection due to the fact i'm allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.