Skip to content
Should I bother to take a test? Physical and psychological aspects
A_Carter posted:
The last 3 months have been really strange for me, and in a way, its getting more strange as time goes by. My body has been acting crazy (see below), and my mind is not really that clear either- it doesn't seem to want to accept that I'm not knocked up.[br>[br>I've had almost constant menstrual-like cramping for the past 3 months, always a few days after my period. Also, these periods have been lighter and shorter than usual. The color fluid has also been persistently lighter than before. (e.g. light pink on the last day) [br>[br>I've been treated for fibrosis in my breasts, which were duly taken care of. However, my breasts have been more tender the past two months than before, but it may also just be fibrosis in my uterus right? I don't normally get heavy PMS symptoms; but the last few months were just horrible, especially where hormones are concerned. I have been very moody the last month (possibly due to emergency contraceptive pills I took), and feeling queasy all the time, vomiting twice (over 3 days, a week before my last period). [br>[br>... that takes care of my body...[br>[br>I've never been pregnant before, and I believe that I know my body well enough to know when there's another person growing inside me- but obviously I can't rely on that anymore. [br>[br>I've been reading a lot about my symptoms online, and watching shows like "I didn't know I was pregnant"- so right now my mind is a bit out-of-it. I really think I want to be pregnant (I've been thinking things like if I can come across it so often online, and you hear about other cases where it women go on bleeding up to 5 months in their pregnancy, could it be happening to me?) I go between believing I could be pregnant and being convinced that I'm not- sometimes, when I'm convinced I'm not, I get really sad about it. I was relieved when I got my last "period" as well- so its really up and down for me. Its been so bad that I caught myself praying about it several times (and I'm not a religious person!)[br>[br>So apart from really being all over the place, my body has been acting so strangely, and for the first time in years I have no idea whats happening to me. Should I even be considering pregnancy as a possibility here?

I guess what I want to know is that, since I've been bleeding (even though its been strange), at regular times, is it necessary for me to take a pregnancy test? Personally, I think its all in my head.

While I'm sure people out there have had similar experiences, please try and focus on whether or not you think I should be concerned at all. I've been curbing my alcohol and other "unhealthy" habits, and I want to know if this was all for nought (except maybe that I'm not poisoning my body), and whether I can go on with my habits without feeling guilty.

Take the Poll

What would be the best action?
  • Take the test
  • Continue bad habits
  • Discontinue bad habits without bothering to take a test
vote
View Poll Results

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Yes, take a test. Some women have regular, light bleeding in early pregnancy that they mistake for their period.
Proud mommy to PJ (5)

A_Carter replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Thanks- I am really regular so I get very anxious when things change, and I notice the smallest changes in my body, especially where my menstrual cycle is concerned. But with this, I just can't say whether its all in my head right now. And I've had unprotected intercourse quite a few times during those 3 months. He never came inside me, but that is not to say that his semen didn't come into contact with me at all.

I've been watching your answers, and you really seem like you know what you're talking about. I've been abstaining from caffeine and alcohol, just in case; but I think I'll take a test.

Helpful Tips

Am I Pregnant Poll!
If you're wondering if you're pregnant, why not add a Poll onto your Discussion? It's easy--just start a Discussion, then beneath the ... More
Was this Helpful?
100 of 133 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.