Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Advice on when to take pregnancy test
hnubtshiab posted:
I Had unprotected Sex The Night Before I expected To Have My Period (This Past Monday). It Is Now Two Days Past And I Have Not Had My Period. How Soon Can I Take A Pregnancy Test? I Have Read That You Take It After Your First Missed Period. I've Missed My Period But Is It Too Soon To Take A Pregnancy Test?

My Mobile Is Capitalizing All Of My Words For Some Reason So Please Ignore This.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Yes, it's too soon for a pregnancy test. It takes 6-10 days for a fertilized egg to implant and another few days for there to be enough of the pregnancy hormone to register on a test.

You may have just skipped your period for no reason other than not ovulating. It happens and usually there's no cause for concern.

Wait and see if your next period comes before worrying.
Proud mommy to PJ (5)

hnubtshiab replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Thanks for the information. I'm not worried. In fact, I hope that I am pregnant. I'll wait until next week or the following week to take an OTC test. Hopefully the results are positive! I'm so eager to find out!

hnubtshiab responded:
I am particularly eager to find out and concerned because I am on an anti-convulsant medication that can cause birth defects, cleft palate, etc. if taken during pregnancy. I can't see a neurologist for at least another month and am debating whether to stop taking my medication just in case I am pregnant. I'm just trying to make the best decision for my possible baby and myself.

tlkittycat1968 replied to hnubtshiab's response:
Can you call your doctor and talk to a nurse over the phone without an appointment?
Proud mommy to PJ (5)

hnubtshiab replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
I don't have a doctor I see regularly here. I just moved and haven't seen a doctor here yet. I haven't seen my previous doctor in about two years. I think it'll be okay though.

I jumped the gun and tested on Friday (just couldn't wait anymore) and it came back negative but that's likely because it was too soon. I'll just have to be patient and wait until end of this week or early next week to test again.

hnubtshiab responded:
On to day 47 of my cycle. Still no period and still no positive. A little frustrated with my body. I wish I knew what was going on. Feeling very bloated, very gaseous, and experiencing some cramps.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was on the nuva ring fo 3 months me and my sons father decided we r gonna try for another child. We had sex on May 22 and i took my nuva ring out on...More

Helpful Tips

Am I Pregnant Poll!
If you're wondering if you're pregnant, why not add a Poll onto your Discussion? It's easy--just start a Discussion, then beneath the ... More
Was this Helpful?
100 of 133 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.