Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How soon after intercourse can a urine pregnancy test work?
An_253227 posted:
I recently had unprotected sex and he accidentally came inside...don't judge (it all happened so quickly). I am on birth control however.
My question is how soon after intercourse will a pregnancy test work? I don't want to wait until my 1st missed period because they are irregular even with the BC.

howdoyoukno responded:
Even though your periods are irregular, do they seem to happen AROUND the same time? Like maybe the 1st week of every month or there by the 15th, at the latest? I'm asking because maybe you could test around the time you should be having one or when you feel like you might be late. Otherwise I'd suggest testing no sooner than 3 weeks after intercourse. Or, you could make a Dr appt or go to the local urgent care.... hope that helps:)

tlkittycat1968 responded:
You didn't have unprotected sex since you are on birth control. The pill is a very effective method of birth control when correctly used (taken every day and not missing any).

You can wait two weeks after the sex then test.
Proud mommy to PJ (5)

An_250560 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Technically, it WAS unprotected sex since she used no condom and therefore exposed herself to potential diseases - therefore not protecting herself.

Birth control does not protect you from anything... it prevents birth. Totally different and very irresponsible of you to tell someone that taking birth control pills is considered "protected" sex.

For the original poster - if you are on birth control, you should worry less about being pregnant and much more about STDs .

tlkittycat1968 replied to An_250560's response:
Most of the time when someone says they had unprotected sex they mean they did not use birth control.
Proud mommy to PJ (5)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name's Brittany, my boyfriend and I are highschool sweethearts, just celebrated our 8 year anniversary, and we have a 2 1/2 (April 3, 2008) yea...More

Helpful Tips

It's been 20 years sence I had my last child .and I had a tube . and I forgot how it feel to bee pregnant. I feel that I am but don't know More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 10 found this helpful