Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

How soon after intercourse can a urine pregnancy test work?
    An_253227 posted:
    I recently had unprotected sex and he accidentally came inside...don't judge (it all happened so quickly). I am on birth control however.
    My question is how soon after intercourse will a pregnancy test work? I don't want to wait until my 1st missed period because they are irregular even with the BC.

howdoyoukno responded:
    Even though your periods are irregular, do they seem to happen AROUND the same time? Like maybe the 1st week of every month or there by the 15th, at the latest? I'm asking because maybe you could test around the time you should be having one or when you feel like you might be late. Otherwise I'd suggest testing no sooner than 3 weeks after intercourse. Or, you could make a Dr appt or go to the local urgent care.... hope that helps:)

tlkittycat1968 responded:
    You didn't have unprotected sex since you are on birth control. The pill is a very effective method of birth control when correctly used (taken every day and not missing any).

You can wait two weeks after the sex then test.
    Proud mommy to PJ (5)

An_250560 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
    Technically, it WAS unprotected sex since she used no condom and therefore exposed herself to potential diseases - therefore not protecting herself.

Birth control does not protect you from anything... it prevents birth. Totally different and very irresponsible of you to tell someone that taking birth control pills is considered "protected" sex.

For the original poster - if you are on birth control, you should worry less about being pregnant and much more about STDs .

tlkittycat1968 replied to An_250560's response:
    Most of the time when someone says they had unprotected sex they mean they did not use birth control.
    Proud mommy to PJ (5)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I am 20 years old. My DH is 24. We got married July 31st, 2009. We found out we were expecting Feb. 2nd of this year. We went to th...More

Helpful Tips

Just curious.
    Hello, this is my first post on here. I'm really just wondering what your thoughts are on this. My DH and I are currently TTC, I have a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 2 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.