Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
can antibiotics mess w/ preg test?
pretty_dolly34 posted:
I am not sure if i am pregnant, but i am worried my antibiotics will make test show positive. Is this possible, or if i took one would it not matter?

angefleur29 responded:
They would not affect a pregnancy test. If you took a test and it said positive that should mean that you are pregnant. Antibiotics can decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills, so maybe that is what you are thinking. Fertility treatments, a recent miscarriage, there are a few things that can make a test show false positive, but not many.

pretty_dolly34 responded:
oh really? i took two and both came up positive, they were the first response ones, but even though yes the second line showed, it did not come out as defined as the first line. I am on antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection, and was not on birth control pills. So basically its looking like i am pregnant?

phoenixfire76 responded:
YES! You are pregnant. The test only looks for one thing and one thing only and that is the pregnancy hormone and nothing else. So no medication (other than some fertility treatments) can cause a false postive. And taking tests back to back would explain why the 2nd test was fainter than the 1st. The hormone was not as strong the 2nd time you peed. And a line is a line, no matter how faint it is. So it best to see a Dr. and set up prenatal care. Best of luck.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Just an ordinary girl who is trying to make the right choices...my goal is to avoid being in any bad situation that i can prevent ! kisses!

Helpful Tips

tip
have heard the same thing from my sister who is the mother of five so this is more then likely true.. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful