Skip to content
PCOS and Pregnancy Tests?
strawkisser posted:
I'm a 25 year old female with PCOS. I have very irregular periods (average length of time between cycles is about 60 days). I've been in a monogamous, committed relationship for about 3 years. We have consistent, frequent sex. More frequently lately, come to think of it. We don't use protection, but he does "pull out". I've always thought that I wouldn't be able to conceive, so we never really worried about birth control. However--all this week I've been having what I think is morning sickness. Once I get up and start getting ready for the day, this wave of nausea washes over me suddenly. I get really hot, feel like I can't get enough oxygen, and am seriously on the brink of barfing. I haven't thrown up yet, but today I was really close. This feeling usually lasts until I get something to eat. (Even though when I feel like this, eating is the last thing I want to do). Is this what morning sickness feels like? If I'm not pregnant, then what is going on? I'm concerned because of my PCOS, if I am pregnant I have no idea how far along I am. My last period was sometime mid-June. Like I said, they are so irregular, I kinda stopped keeping track. When is the best time for someone with PCOS to take a home pregnancy test and get accurate results? Lastly, I am a smoker and I'm concerned that if I am pregnant my current lifestyle habits have already hurt the baby. I've stopped smoking since I've been getting sick, but I'm still worried about damage I may have already done. (Also, I've heard that chemicals in cigarettes and things like that can affect pregnancy test results. Anyone know about that?)

Thistledown1973 responded:
First of all, most people with PCOS do not ovulate; they have steady state estrogen, and a dip in estrogen is what triggers ovulation. Clomid (clomiphene citrate - a common fertility drug) inhibits/masks estrogen, thereby triggering ovulation. Women with PCOS usually only menstruate when the lining of the uterus becomes so thick that it sheds out of heaviness, which is why women with PCOS are at risk for endometrial hyperplasia and uterine cancer if left untreated. It is possible that you did ovulate on your own and did become pregnant - I was taking metformin and ovulated 30 DAYS after my period and it was only because I knew the date of ovulation that I knew when to test. Before I took metformin I did not ovulate on my own. The OB/GYN didn't even believe my conception date until the first ultrasound confirmed it.

Because your periods are so far apart, I would recommend testing at day 60, and then once a week for four weeks unless your period shows up before then. Smoking and PCOS hormones DO NOT interfere with pregnancy tests, HOWEVER, people who raise goats or handle mice MAY see false postivies or negatives due to the antibodies used in the test production (I can explain further if anyone wants).

I am clinical laboratory scientist and a mom with PCOS and diabetes.

Taylove11 responded:
If you are having symptoms, you could probably test and get accurate results. Your symptoms are usually caused by a rise of the HCG hormone. This is what a pregnancy test measures to see if you are pregnant or not. Get a HPT and use FMU (first morning urine). With PCOS, you may not ovulate at all, or you could randomly ovulate, so there is a chance that you can get pregnant.

I don't believe that smoking affects a test. I know that PCOS does not. If you are feeling KU, please test. It's so important to stop smoking if you are. It can cause serious complications with the pregnancy and fetus. HTH!

Pianogirl2685 replied to Thistledown1973's response:
Hi,

I am curious about how raising goats can alter pregnancy test. My family raises goats and lately I have been having a lots of pregnancy symptoms.. I have took two hpt and they have been negative, so I am going to make an appointment with dr to see what is happening with me. Thanks

tlkittycat1968 replied to Pianogirl2685's response:
Raising goats will not have an affect on a pregnancy test whatsoever.
Proud mommy to PJ (4)

paint27 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
actually yes, it CAN trigger a false negative so can mouse/ goat handling . I have the reason too..

Causes: False positive increased serum hCG[br>"022 Causes[br>Heterophilic antibody (most common)[br>Human anti-mouse antibody (HAMA)[br>Nonspecific protein-binding hCG-like substances[br>Red Blood Cell interference[br>Marijuana use[br>Hypogonadism[br>"022 Confirmation methods in non-pregnant conditions[br>Qualitative urine hCG[br>Serum hCG by different immunoassay method[br>Serial dilutions of serum hCG sample

http://www.conceptiontechnologies.com/images/ReferencesPDFs/assurehcg_cassette.pdf

": for mice : To make the Home Pregnancy Test, mice are injected with purified hCH (a foreign protein - an antigen - to mice), and a few weeks later the antibodies that they made to hCH arere isolated.Home Pregnancy Tests use 3 different types of antibodies: Two from mice and one from goats. The first antibody molecules are placed in the papery material in the test strip (where the urine sample is applied). When a urine sample is applied, hCG in the urine binds to the mouse antibodies and starts to travel up the paper into the test region. Antibodies that do not bind to hCG (there are always more antibodies than there is hCG) also move into and through the test region, where they serve as a positive control.[br>[...>[br>At this point (the test has been at work for roughly 3 minutes), an enzyme attached to the first mouse antibody converts a colorless chemical placed in the test window and in the control window to a deep pink color. If the woman has hCG in her urine, the hCG-mouse antibody will be found in two places: the test region and the control region. There will be two color reactions, one in each window. [...> (If a woman was taking fertility drugs, this might give a false positive test, but otherwise, the test is very reliable)."

for Goat , which is he control anti-body in most tests , so to make the tests they use goat and mouse anti-bodies, to react with the chemicals found in urine... if you hand;e goats or mice,(like i do) you may already have a immune response to those anti-bodies and that may also be present in your urine. giving a false negative... it' is similar to immunity to toxoplasmosis in kitty litter ,if you have already developed an immunity before pregnancy your at a lower risk, BUT you still shouldn't clean the litter box if you can avoid it ..

so final answer , it IS possible for people who handle goats and mice to have a false positive result ...

Spotlight: Member Stories

Married mother of four who just gotten her tubs tied (well actually my doc says he burnt them) , but upon have my return visit with him he tell me , &...More

Helpful Tips

Pregnancy
Hey guys I need help, so I been feeling pregnant and I have all the systems Like cramping, then brown spotting, boob hurts, vaginal ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.