Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
how fertile after giving birth?
brantleysmama posted:
My concern is how fertile am i? i gave birth to my first son june 20th. he just turned six weeks, and on that day exactly, my husband and i had unprotected sex and he didn't pull out.. so what are the odds that i'm pregnant again already? how fertile is a woman just 6 weeks after giving birth?

tlkittycat1968 responded:
You're no more or less fertile after giving birth that you are at any other time.

If your period has not yet returned, then there is no way for you to know when you will ovulate. Remember, you ovulate before you have a period so it's entirely possible that you may be pregnant.

joellelewis responded:
Generally, as long as you are nursing you are pretty safe for the first couple of months. I am not an expert, but I believe you usually don't O for about 6 months after childbirth. I am sure that this site has some pretty good articles. Good luck!

segadelli24 responded:
be carefull with that one joellelewis I have now plenty of people who got preggers without a period and breastfeeding its an old wives tale and shouldn't be trusted , wether we like it or not mother nature doesn't give us a break you can be fertile as soon as you give birth I have randomly met several ladies whose children were 9 or 10 months apart simply because they just gave birth , breastfeeding or not and bam ! so yes there is a chance you could get pregnant .... you will find out and I would get on some form of birth control unless you plan on getting pregnant that soon after.

mamma2584 responded:
think that it is a very good chance because i had my first daughter and had her in march28th 2003 then the same day it was safe for me to have sex after haveing her i did and got preog again and did not get my period after haveing her and had my son in march5th 2004 lol so its very likely

good luck

joellelewis responded:
haha. wow. every women in my family has not been fertile till after they stopped nursing, so I was counting on good genes.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I am 20 years old. My DH is 24. We got married July 31st, 2009. We found out we were expecting Feb. 2nd of this year. We went to th...More

Helpful Tips

Am I Pregnant Poll!
If you're wondering if you're pregnant, why not add a Poll onto your Discussion? It's easy--just start a Discussion, then beneath the ... More
Was this Helpful?
100 of 133 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.