Skip to content
Mirena and Pregnancy
lovebuggs posted:

Hello , I have a question and I need some input of people who might have or are there in my position. I am a 28 year old female and I have been on mirena for abit over a year. I chose it after I gave birth to my son, my only child. Well since I am on birth control I figured I did not need to worry about that. Since I have been on mirena I had my period twice , and very light. Well when I do it is on the 11 th of the month. I last bled in april. For the past week or so things have changed. I have had short yet painful sharp pains in my right side (prev ectopic in my left side and ovary etc was removed) and the whole butterflies feeling and extreme exhaustion. I will be testing on Friday and will let everybody know If I am not.

But I need to know if anybody has been on Mirena and had a pregnancy, miscarriage while on mirena or had a healthy baby on mirena. Please let me know thanks.

mandy

B3autifulH3art responded:
Typically, pregnancies with IUDs of any kind are ectopic. And there's research suggesting the embryo can be moved if it's detected early enough, but the downside of an ecto-pregnancy is that little hCG is released early in the pregnancy, so it's usually detected in the second month or so. Miscarriages do happen. Pregnancy with IUDs are rare. And if you've had your device in for a year, there's little risk that it could become dislodged.

Mirena is new, so info on it is limited. However, it is also hormonal, and it's common for it to lessen your menstral cycles. If you think you're pregnant, or are having side effects from the device, I would skip the test and go straight to the doc. I had an IUD that punctured my uterus. But I never got pregnant while on it.

Good luck!

MsSarah04 responded:
Hi. Well yes, I am 15+ weeks pregnant with the Mirena IUD. They tried to remove it a few weeks ago, however it had moved to far up that they could not get to it. Mine obviously ended up being a Uterine pregnancy. The doctors have encouraged me to continue with the pregnancy. I am having a difficult time finding anyone who has gone full term with the IUD in place. So I dont have any answers for you or myself. I have been to the ER once this past weekend for bleeding, but they determined it is not caused from the IUD. I am being monitored very closely, the doctors are not sure what to expect either. I hope everything goes well for you.

Wow, that's a rough one! Fortunately, you're having a uterine pregnancy. Have you had the IUD in very long? Unfortunately, now that you're pregnant, there's no way they can move it? (The ? mark isn't a typo, they really can't move it for you?)

Stay healthy and keep up with the appointments. And don't be surprised if you read about your full-term IUD pregnancy in a medical journal. I'm sure you'll make it just fine, and that is a miracle!

Good luck!

lovebuggs responded:
Thanks,

I had an ectopic on my left side in 2003 and lost all stuff to make a baby on that side. I have my right side left and if I have an ectopic on that side chances are I will never have another baby.I do have one son but another child would be nice.

MistressAdaria responded:
Hi I have been on Mirena since Jan 2006 I have not had any problems from what i have experienced i can say it has been completely normal for me to miss my period or for it to be really light as far as the pain goes you might want to talk to your OBGYN about that. The IUC could have moved or be tilted in any case it can cause pain and you just need to have it taken out and placed back in the proper place good luck!!

lovebuggs responded:
I am not actually sure that I am pregnant, though if you ask me I am, just because of the way I feel. I will be testing on Saturday morn and I will let you know then. I am also epileptic so tis is not going to be an easy road.

MsSarah04 responded:
I had the IUD put in March of 07, about a month and a half after my last son was born. Yes the IUD will stay in. Right now it is away from the placenta. It is embedded in the uteran wall. The doctors are more concerned as the baby gets bigger, it will reach the IUD and this is what may cause the issue, pre-term labor. Right now any time I have any issue, I am in a doctor's office or ER. Even then this is so new they are not sure how to handle it. My Doctor feels we will be ok seems how she delivered a perfectly healthy baby recently with the Paragaurd IUD. So I am very optimistic that everything will be fine. And yes, she will be my little miracle. I did find out she is a girl.

Okay, I can tell you one thing I do know about any IUD, once it has been in for a year, there's very little risk of it shifting unless it's during intercourse. As long as it stays in place, you have a very small chance of getting pregnant while its in, especially since it's hormonal. During your yearly you should always have it checked for placement.

It'll be okay. If you get a negative Saturday, plan to call your doc on Monday. Since you're having a pregnancy scare, the main thing you want to check is if your IUD is in place.

kmaaskamp responded:
How is your baby, I suspect I may be preg. I have had the mirena in place for 2 years, but have gained 10 pounds in 2 months and its all in my breasts and belly. I have a 2 yr old son and even though we wern't planning right now to have another I would be escatic to be preg. I have taken multiple preg. tests but all neg. But recently my belly is bigger. I have a son and the first preg. didnt show until 6 months. I don't know I am just really confused and worried for my maybe baby and for my heath. Any info. would help. I am dying inside b/c I won't have any more info until tues. when I have my obgyn

BBKSmith responded:
I have the sharp pain every once in a while. But I have frequent urination,All of a sudden I am eating all the time and gaining weight, very little morning sick though, I even have been having dreams the past month that i am. I have a 8 month old and I am freaking out...

greenmnmfreak responded:
actually had pretty much the same question last week and ive had all the same things an ectopic on my right side everything taken out also and within the past 2 weeks i have been getting all of the pregnancy symptoms... and so i took a test the other day and i am pregnant. ive had my iud almost a year and i am going to the drs today they said they arnt gonna take out my iud because the chances of a miscarrage are a lot higher taking it out... so i am just gonna see where it all takes me..

missLovebug responded:
To msSarah I am a new user to this forum and I have a few questions. How long had you had ur IUD before you found out you were preggo? also were you still having a regular period, did you found out you were pregnant through a home prenancy test? What symptoms did you have with the mirena? Sorry to ask so many question I have a mirena that was placedafter my daughter was born. She is now 16 mos old. I am having hair loss, headaches, nausea and increase appetite. also recently some lower abdominal pain at random times. I am just trying to figure out whats going on and what alterntives I have before I go bald LOL

Blackarachnia responded:
I'm on my secon Mirena as in I had the first one for 5 yrs and it was time to get a new one.

There was a small handful of times that I had similar symptoms to pregnancy, but that was few and far between. One time, I was scared to the point that I took a home test.

After the first 6 months on the 1st one, my period went away unless I was truly stressed. So maybe I would see it once or twice a year. Loved it! Saved money on products, too! Woo hoo!

Now my second one since April 2008; also I have had a light monthly period the entire time I have been on #2 and have had experienced a handful of times as well of similar symptoms of preggo. I must also say after the 2nd one, the experience was different. I was really cranky for months. I think it was 2 months later after getting the replacement that I connected the dots....The string on the 2nd one seems to poke/ annoy the penise more than the 1st.

I've been with the same man for over 4 yrs and we can get really crazy, sometimes really rough during sex, so after 4 yrs and growing in my being a proud user of Mirena.

Despite the difference in experience between the two, I'd sign up for the 3rd one, when it's time. I'm currently 37 with 1 8 yr old child.

I hope this helps someone, even ones not registered on this board.

derea2010 responded:
hey my name is Derea and yes it is very possible to get pregnant on the mirena bc i did and it was very surprising and scary to know that that can reallly happen off of a 5yr birth control, but this was my 3rd time getting pregnant off of birth control

Spotlight: Member Stories

sorry it took me so long. but to those who were wondering about what i had done as far as taking a test. well i was positive twice and so i have seen ...More

Helpful Tips

(((KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF DURING YOUR PREGNANCY)))
Wouldn't It be great to go through out your pregnancy without adding those unwanted pounds? Well now you can, and I advise you to watch ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.