Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
(OT) Just Curious--how much do you care...
queston posted:
About the upcoming royal wedding?

On a scale of 1 to 10, my interest is at a solid zero.

If you do care, I'm curious: why? It's hard for me to even begin to understand why this is being treated as such an event outside of the UK.

kristinmarie722 responded:
I would say a 7 or an 8.

I have a penpal from 5th grade (I am now almost 30) from England that I still talk to. (Thank goodness for technology)- So I know a lot about the UK so that is part of my interest.

Also the fashion, glamour, etc. It's just exciting. Also it's nice for the media to be focused on an event based off of love and not the usual news and media stuff- drunk Hollywood and murders.

An_229319 responded:
I agree, a zero.

Foreverinyoureyes2 responded:
Queston,

I suspect this is a male vs. female thing.

Sunday afternoon my girls and I (the 19 y/o and the 12 y/o ) were watching, "Say YES to the dress." (If you are not familiar with the show, it is about women picking out Wedding Dresses at a high end store.)

My 14 y/o son happened to be in the room, and he could not understand why we were interested in watching such a show, and he was outraged at the idea that women would spend upwards of $10 grand on a dress that they will wear 1 time, for 1 day.

The girls were trying to explain to him the pageantry and magic of the "Wedding Day" for the bride. Throwing out words like, romance, princess, "her day", etc, etc...

He wasn't buying into any of it. His final word on the whole business was, "Well thats just stupid to pay all that money for one DAY!" I thought both girls were gonna beat him to death with a Bride magazine!

I have not watched a ton of the coverage for the royal wedding, but I am interested. It was such a tragedy for the Prince's to lose their mother so young, and in such an awful way. I sincerely hope that he is marrying for love and companionship and not because of some misguided duty to his country. It would be nice to think that he had found love and happiness in a family that has not had much luck with that in the past couple of decades. I am a sucker for a happy ending!

ImMe26 replied to Foreverinyoureyes2's response:
I think its just either you watch it or you dont...LOL.

Im a woman, but you know what I wouldnt spend over $300 on a Wedding dress either...LOL....(David's Bridal here I come...)...I also think its NUTS to spend soo much on a material thing you wear once. Thats just me though.

I did flip there lastnight to see what all the fuss was about, and to me its just another HUGE event , that really means nothing to us here. KWIM??

Im all for love and family .....and celebrations....but I cant stand over the top weddings. It takes the setiment (sp?) out of it for me.

I like them as a couple and happy they found eachother...happy endings are great.

I wish them all the best though!!
Don't put off tomorrow, what you can accomplish today!! Procrastination is a KILLER!!--ME(26)SO(28)DD1(10yr)DD2(8yr)DS(2yr)SO's-DD(8yr)DS1(6yrs)DD(5yr)LUV THEM ALL ALWAYS WANTED A HUGE FAMILY

3point14 responded:
I'm always pumped for a couple being totally in love and making a big commitment to each other. I'm just not gonna wake up at 4 AM to watch anyone do it! hahahaha

fcl responded:
Absolute zero here. I couldn't get out of watching the Charles and Diana one and fell asleep in the first five minutes...

I suppose that it's the fairytale princess effect for those who are interested in it.
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

lobermann replied to 3point14's response:
If they are in love. We don't know what they are and are not forced to do.

ImMe26 replied to lobermann's response:
I too agree with that.

Who knows??
Don't put off tomorrow, what you can accomplish today!! Procrastination is a KILLER!!--ME(26)SO(28)DD1(10yr)DD2(8yr)DS(2yr)SO's-DD(8yr)DS1(6yrs)DD(5yr)LUV THEM ALL ALWAYS WANTED A HUGE FAMILY

3point14 replied to lobermann's response:
Well, we don't know that anyone's ever in love ever, really.

So I guess I should've said I can go along with whatever positive charade people are willing to play-act.

naggingwife74 responded:
I think it is such a big deal outside of the UK for the same reason that the U.S. electing a new president is a big deal outside of the U.S. It is a big event that affects millions of people. They don't have to be next door for us to care. This is a huge thing in the UK, he will eventually be king which will make her the future queen, that's a big deal to a lot of people. Just like our president and first lady.

This wedding is a moment in history, he is a prince. Having the U.S. support and show their excitment for this I feel is a good thing. Why not show our support for such a huge event, regardless of where it is?

Now, on another note, I won't be watching. I will look at a People magazine to see her dress and some pictures, but like PI, I won't be getting up at the crack of dawn to tune in. My interest is pretty minimal.

cfisk replied to naggingwife74's response:
On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say I'm about a 7.

I've always been very interested in British history since I was a kid and have read a lot of British history. That includes a lot of history about kings and queens, about all the ups and downs since the Roman legions left in the fifth century, all the drama, executions, and the gradual loss of power and the changing role and changing image of the monarchy. So, it's just interesting if you're a history buff.

The roots of American culture lie in British culture and politics. It's only natural that there's a still a strong connection there, even though the royal family has virtually no political power anymore.

Even though we fought a battle of independence from Britain, we never let go of the strong cultural and socio-political connection. Our financial system, essentially founded by Alexander Hamilton, was based on the British system.

Anyway, the media is full of coverage of celebrities. Will and Kate are a type of celebrity too. They just behave a lot better than Charlie Sheen or Mel Gibson (or whoever, take your pick).

I remember Charles and Diana's wedding. It's interesting to compare and contrast the two weddings. C and D's wedding was a "fairy tale", but it was a recipe for disaster, everyone remembers that. I think a lot of the British public are seeing that this marriage looks to be a lot more realistic and sensible. William is fairly like-able, his "q-rating" is pretty good. We want things to go well for him.

stephs_3_kidz responded:
I love it! I watched the coverage when I got up, here and there, although I did miss the actual ceremony.

They are both wearing smiles from ear to ear and seem so very happy, that I can't believe for a minute that they aren't truly in love.

All that pomp and circumstance seems kind of overwhelming but I have to say that I think Kate (ahem..) Princess Katherine is handling it fabulously.

I think our country is so fascinated with the wedding in part because many of us watched William and Harry walking with their mother's casket the day of her funeral and it's just such a refreshing thing to see him happy at last.

kristinmarie722 replied to stephs_3_kidz's response:
I cried when she met William at the altar. I wonder what he was saying to her?

She looked BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

stephs_3_kidz replied to kristinmarie722's response:
I know..she was GORGEOUS. Some people were disappointed that her dress wasn't more flashy but I love, love, love it! I think she is very classy and modest, and looks stunning doing it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was at the end of my rope, literally, I just wanted my life to end. I saw no future for myself. I punched in support groups, and webmd popped up. ...More

Helpful Tips

my younger wife
my wife is 49 and im 59 years old . i feel low sex drive but she is a hot wife yet. making her satisfied how should i deal with her? More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.