Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
OT: Thunderstorms
alaska_mommy posted:
We had a whopper of a thunderstorm last night, with a power outage and trees down all over the county.
I just love it when it gets stormy like that--love watching the lightening burn a path across the sky and feel the thunder. It's exhilarating to watch.
I think this is from my dad's influence as a kid, he though T-storms were awesome (and we didn't get them that often in Portland, OR). He even had a wish to be one of those tornado chasers.
We had a tornado watch in force yesterday evening, and I almost wished I could see one (if there was some way to have that happen without mass destruction).
Also, side note, I wouldn't wish on anyone what has been going on in the midwest with the crazy storms and tornadoes. But, I just like to watch a good storm.
Does anybody else love them or am I just the product of a crazy dad?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

queston responded:
I have kindof a love/hate relationship with them. Here in Kansas, we get some doozies, and the tornadoes, of course.

It's kindof cool when you're right on the fringes of the storm so you know it's not likely to do any damage.

But it's very scary when a big Kansas storm is bearing down on you, tornado or not.

divachic1 responded:
Iknow what you mean.I live on the coast of texas. And we are about to enter hurricane season..... and none of the news is good. it is surpose to be really bad. and we havent had rain in months. We went through Hurricane Ike.Were I was we were a direct hit. It was so scary. You cant even sleep through Hurricanes cause there is so much going on.
I mean when you go through one it lasts for hours. and then you have to go through the first part..then there is a silenceand then the second part. ( thats when the eye passes).its all very scary.
They said the sky was the limit. And baby I put my footprint all in it.And made my mark.

ImMe26 replied to divachic1's response:
Im in Fl and like Divachic, about to enter hurrican season. I personally love this time of year. I dont like tornadoes ,but a good thunderstorm is GREAT!.

One year the year we had 4 major hurricanes back to back...I was off work every week for atleast 4dys...so for we would play board games and shack up at someones house and have a blast. Mostly it went north or south of Tampa Bay, but they were close enought to due damage. I pray we never take a direct hit thru the mouth of Tampa Bay, because even a cat 2 would cause complete devastation.

Still cant wait though.
Don't put off tomorrow, what you can accomplish today!! Procrastination is a KILLER!!--ME(26)SO(28)DD1(10yr)DD2(8yr)DS(2yr)SO's-DD(8yr)DS1(6yrs)DD(5yr)LUV THEM ALL ALWAYS WANTED A HUGE FAMILY

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I like thunderstorms as long as I can be inside where it's safe and dry. I love seeing the lightning and waiting for the thunder.

butterfly19790424 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
We just had a thunderstorm. The winds got up to 80mph. The trees looked like we were getting hit by a hurrican. It only lasted 10 min. I was looking at the weather radar before it hit. My little girl saw the green and red on the computer. When the storm was passing by she runs and says "Im scared of the green and red rain!" It was cute.
A true friend is someone who knows you're a good egg even if you're a little cracked

BalconyBelle replied to butterfly19790424's response:
I love lightning storms--and severe weather in general. Thunderstorms paired with mother's natures awesome light show take the cake, though. I grew up in Northwest Houston, lived most of my life in Tornado alley...and I love watching the sky spilt open, seeing lightning blaze across the sky, feeling thunder shake the ground beneath me--it's a natural high.
My finance wasn't nearly as keen on severe weather originally until he met me, and until the night I decided during a thunderstorm that I wanted to cuddle. It turns out that we found an entirely new way to divert the charge I get from storms...

Now, he loves them every bit as much as I do, albeit for different reasons

Anytime there's a severe storm system moving through the area, and we're not in the same city, he'll call or text me wishing you were here. If a storm blows through without us, we both feel like we missed out.

alaska_mommy replied to butterfly19790424's response:
That's cute about the green and red rain.

OK, well I guess I'm not the only "weather nerd" out there! It's fun getting some weather that's out of the ordinary--although I'm figuring out T-storms are a regular occurrence here in NE Pennsylvania. The other reason I love them is that the air is so much cooler and fresher afterward, whereas this week the daytime temps are in the 90's and I am NOT used to that after living in Alaska!

alaska_mommy replied to queston's response:
queston--I can definitely understand being nervous about a storm like that. I've never seen a tornado bearing down on me, but I am sure I would not be excited at that sight.
BalconyBelle--hah what a great idea! Your fiance is a smart man!

tmlmtlrl responded:
I love storms!! I definitely get an adrenaline rush when a good one comes through! I've always been this way and it rubs off on all around me.

My 6yr old recently told me he is going to be a tornado chaser when he's older, but that he's going to invent something to stop the tornadoes! I thought that was such a cool thought and big aspiration for such a little guy!

And Alaska, just like you, I've always had this inner desire to see a tornado but the reality of them is not something I want to be a part of! I've actually had many dreams of tornadoes -- like the dreams that feel R E A L. They're wild and intimidating. I read that dreams of tornadoes signify life changes, idk.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

divachic1 replied to alaska_mommy's response:
I dont like storms. I get nervous and scared. i watch it on TV. And when a Hurrican comes we all get scared.. I in a zone where i have to leave. And then they spawn out tornadoes. So its all rapped up in one. Lord, the traffic .

then peps personality really start to come out. your scared and mad all at the same time..

i love the weather and the knowledge it brings. but I know how bad and mother nature can be. So, like i hate what comes along with it.

During a hurricane you dont have time to snuggle.. you be tooo scared to even go PEE by yourself.
They said the sky was the limit. And baby I put my footprint all in it.And made my mark.

divachic1 replied to divachic1's response:
Oh even after hurricane ike. Women got preggers. there were a lot of babies born nine months later. I guess there wasnt nothing else to do in the dark but have sex. Even my sis got preg right after that time.lol.....

alaska_mommy replied to divachic1's response:
I can see how if there was a storm like that, I'd be scared too. I've never seen a hurricane before, or a twister. In Portland we were lucky if we got one or two good T-storms a summer. Here in PA it's a different story, we're supposed to have another storm tonight, and I'm enjoying it because they're essentially harmless. Oh sure, some shingles get blown off, and our road was blocked by a tree for a little while, but it wasn't anything that damaging. So, those storms I enjoy.

alaska_mommy replied to tmlmtlrl's response:
tmlmtlrl--
That's cute about your 6 y.o.! That's a big dream for a little guy! Reminds me in a way of my nephew, around that same age he was watching a squirrel in the street. It almost got run over by a passing car so he decided that it should be against the law for squirrels to run in the street.

GuardSquealer responded:
Well when they hit just at just the right time I like a good storm. Seems like we have had so many the last couple months I am a little tired of them. My farm is like a swamp. I am hoping to start mowing hay tomorrow. I like a good storm when we have finished baling. Usually we are in a battle to get the hay done before the next storm.

Last year we were baling a field and going as fast as we could, you could see the storm coming over the horizon. The closer it got the darker the sky became and you could see the lightning bolts. With thousand of dollars worth of hay laying in the field it isn't a good feeling thinking it is going to get rained on. Fortunately the storm seemed to go around us. And we were able to finish without any rain.

They are calling for 6 days of sunshine. So I am going to be running in High gear. They always change it right in the middle but I am going to go with it and mow a lot of hay tomorrow. And then keep my fingers crossed no storms come up.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 32 yr old divorced mom with a 13 yr old son. Life over the past year has been very trying and confusing. I am recently divorced and still wo...More

Helpful Tips

Get on with your life.
Once they cheat, believe me they will always cheat, they don't know the real meaning of true love & devotion. If it bothered him in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.