Skip to content

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
Business Ideas?
GuardSquealer posted:
I have been trying to come up with some idea for a new business so that I can quit the prison.

I know I would like to open a restaurant, but start up is high and so is the failure rate. It seems that since I have been on the kick to do this there is now a dozen tv shows about saving failing restaurants and bars. Plus it seems that I would have to work 18 hours a day 7 days a week to make it fly. Not that I am affraid of putting in the hours. But I just don't know.

I have thought about starting with a concession trailer of some sort and seeing how that goes. Start up wouldn't be as high.

So I have been throwing around some other ideas in my head.

One is getting a dump truck and bobcat and starting to do some construction type work and clean up.

Also getting some bounce houses and renting those out on for parties and events.

Building another barn and making it a kennel and boarding and grooming dogs. Also offering training for dogs.

Maybe getting a couple of my prison guard buddies and starting a security / body guard business.

Anyone else have some ideas?

fcl responded:
How about a franchise restaurant? There are many opportunities, there's usually less of a layout for you, there's help with training, setting up, advertising, etc. It would also mean fewer hours for you per day ... Would there be any chain you'd be interested in?

Just a thought.
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

fcl replied to fcl's response:
PS

http://www.franchisegator.com/Food-Franchises/
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

darlyn05 responded:
I think alot of it is sociological. Debate over whether or not this recession has come to an end is sociologicaly based. What endeavors or business's are thriving in your area? And as you mentioned, how much CAN you and how much are you WILLING to put into a new venture? How can you, are you able to, or is it wise to, extend or broaden what you currently already have going? Will you be taking on this new adventure alone or is your family and/or hired help interested in participating?

Springisnear responded:
What about a private prison. Private security overseas?

GuardSquealer replied to fcl's response:
I will look at that from home this week. Can't access it from here.

GuardSquealer replied to darlyn05's response:
Well it probably would be a family thing. Not only my wife and daughter, but I have several other relatives that need something to do. The right restaurant still seems like the thing. I guess I am an optimist that hard work can make anything succeed.

GuardSquealer replied to Springisnear's response:
Private prison would be great. Usually they are ran by large corparations. But maybe I could do something grassroots. Overseas would be interesting. Might look into that.

Spankyrae responded:
This is what I would ask myself to consider what area to go into:

• What are my passions?
  • Is there something I've always had a natural talent/skill for?
  • Is there something I've always wanted to do, even as a child?
  • What are my natural skills? (Example: leadership, people person, problem solving, analytical, etc.)
  • What is something I could see myself doing for life, and always enjoying?
  • What do I expect to achieve?
  • What are my long and short-term goals?

They have tests too that you can take to help assess which areas may be best for you.
http://www.AConleyCreation.com/ http://CreativeBlossoming.wordpress.com

cfisk responded:
I would vote for building a kennel for boarding and grooming dogs. The farm means a lot to you and your family and you're already boarding horses so this would be an expansion on some work activities that are already going well.

Plus, your daughter is already working out at the farm and if you open a franchise restaurant you'll never have a chance to see her. You'll be thinking "dang! I never get out to the farm anymore, I'm trapped in this place!"

You could probably get a lot of good advice on the internet if you can connect with people who have run kennels and dog grooming services. A lot of the time people love to share their advice and work experiences.

The start-up cost for a concession trailer wouldn't be as high, but wouldn't you have to set up the trailer in downtown Columbus, near office buildings or near the Ohio State campus, or someplace that would have a lot of pedestrian traffic? There are a lot of those food trucks around the Rutgers University campus and the U of Penn campus where I've worked, and they're very popular. It must be really hot work in the summer, though.

GuardSquealer replied to cfisk's response:
I actually looked into the dog kennel a few years ago. A friend and I were considering being partners in one. I guess I need to find out if I can get permission to build one on my property first.

cjh1203 replied to GuardSquealer's response:
If you do that, you might think about having a dog park and doggie day-care, too.

tmlmtlrl responded:
I was thinking about it and if you're really stuck on having a restaurant had you thought about doing just breakfast/lunch?

You could do 6am to 2pm. That way it wouldn't take ALL of your time. It's a more simple menu and a quick turnover. You could get yourself established that way and branch out later. You could even do practice dinner dishes with your customers.

Some people I know owned a bar restaurant and her mother owned a cute popular little breakfast diner. It is very successful. She says her money maker is her 222 -- it's 2 pancakes, 2 eggs, and 2 bacon strips. She charges $2.22 and it costs I think $.08 to make.

Anyhow, all you need is good food, good coffee, and good service. You probably know enough people to get word out. And yes those 'good' things are easier said than done! If you found a place with a bar area to eat and socialize it would be a plus.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

gd9900 responded:
Don't forget to check with your local small business administration for helpful resources and support.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 23 my SO is 23 We have two daughter 7 and 4, and are taking care of his sister 14.

Helpful Tips

Books for relationships/love
I know we've probably shared this in the past, but I thought it would be nice for the new exchange. These are books I've found to be ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 300 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.