Skip to content

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
Confessions 8/22/11 thru 8/28/11 Are vacations like sex, even a bad one is good? What is your worst Vacation Story?
GuardSquealer posted:
Well this time next week I will be listening to my wife snore in our rented condo in Charleston, SC. I am looking forward to a break, but I always dread being away from my business for that long a time.

Someone once told me that "even bad sex is good". So I wonder are vacations the same way? Even a bad one is better than not having one at all. I will post my bad vacation story in a few minutes. Gotta run, prison stuff.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

naggingwife74 responded:
This time next week I will be on my way to Missouri to watch my son graduate from Army bootcamp! I only get to see him for a few hours on Thursday and 30 minutes after graduation on Friday but I will take it! I haven't seen him in almost 3 months so anything is better then nothing.

I can't think of a bad vacation. I go into my vacations with a great frame of mind and they have always turned out great. Even this one coming up, it's going to be great to see him and hug him but it is going to be miserable leaving him again for another 3 months.

I don't think that even a bad vacation is good. People pay a lot of money when they go on vacation and most people only have a certain amount of vacation days. If you have a bad vacation, it would seem like a waste of money and accrued vacation from work. But then again, I guess it all depends on your frame of mind and what you expect from your vacation.

GuardSquealer responded:
Well I have two bad vacation stories.

First one happened when I was 22, I agreed to go to Myrtle Beach with my mom, my grandmother, and one of their friends. So I went to the beach with 3 old ladies. Although I enjoyed their company, sharing a condo with them wasn't exactly what I was wanting to do. But what was really bad about it was that I had just started dating my first wife, she hadn't really ended her previous relationship yet, so I worried the whole time I was away that she would wind up back with him while I was gone. And back then there were no cell phones, and long distance calls from hotels and rentals were outrageous. So I only got to call her like once the whole week. I enjoyed the trip with the ladies, but I was a little distracted the whole time.

I can't explain the feeling when I saw here walking up the driveway to me while I was unloading the car. Such a relief.

Second bad vacation, my wife and I went to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, and it was actually a great trip. Until the last day. I don't know if it was something I ate, or from accidentally drinking the water. But right after breakfast, Montezuma's Revenge. We had a late afternoon flight out. I could not drink or eat anything. And I was affraid of getting in a jam on the flight. But fortunately since I never ate or drank anything for a few hours before I was ok. I drank a soda when we landed and was in the bathroom within minutes. I was sick for about 2 weeks after we returned. I did enjoy the trip though. Had a lot of fun. One of the best times was taking out a little catamaran sailboat with my wife. Hopefully someday we can do that again.

My daughter is heading to Missouri on Monday. She decided to take her horses to a show there, instead of going to the beach with us. Hopefully my truck and trailer make it for her without any breakdowns.

tmlmtlrl replied to naggingwife74's response:
Oh Nagging, I'm so happy for you I want to cry!! I can't believe how long it's been already. I started thinking about how hard it was for you when he left and now the day finally is here that you get to see him again!!!!!!!!!!! Bring lots of kleenex
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

cjh1203 replied to naggingwife74's response:
Nagging, I would never have guessed it's been three months. You must be jumping out of your skin with excitement about seeing your son. I'm really sorry you'll have to say goodbye to him again so soon, but look how fast this three months passed. Have a wonderful reunion with him.

a_pugs_person responded:
Guard,
I'm *so* jealous that you're going to Charleston. It is my ABSOLUTE favorite place on earth!

As far as bad vacations go... I'm sorta with Nagging - in that thinking that bad vacations aren't good. After putting all that time and effort and money into it I want things to go really well and if not I almost regret the whole thing.

I'm not sure I can pinpoint my *worst* vacation, but I've had several bad experiences. Including nasty hotel rooms, political arguments, terrible weather, sea-sickness (on a cruise), car trouble, etc.

Have a great time in Chuck-town!

tmlmtlrl responded:
I would say the two could be comparable. However your wording made me think of vacation sex!! That is the best sex ever!!! So maybe you could look forward to that instead of the snoring

Ok, I have a total Griswald vacation story! This June when we went to Gatlinburg, TN was by far the worst trip I've ever taken. I take a lot of trips so maybe I was just due...

First thing was shortly after we entered TN a rock came up and cracked the window on our new vehicle. Then we had rented a cabin out in the woods by a river. It was super nice! We were meeting my best friend there who got a bit lost in the mountains and had no cell phone reception.

I had gotten up at 5am to get on the road for this trip. It is about 11pm when I get to lay down (cuz of lost friend). So I'm laying on my stomach with my arms under the pillow, husbands asleep already, and I start feeling like something is biting my arms. Felt kinda like a flea bite. I move around alittle before giving into my worst fears that there's bedbugs. I jump up and turn the light on ----- BEDBUGS!!!! I freaked. I cussed. My sleepy husband thinks someone broke into the room and was getting me, lol.

Ugh, worst feeling in the world. I called the emergency numbers, took a shower, bagged my clothes, took pictures of the critters all over the bed....so disgusting. They transferred us to a hotel for the night. I laid down at 4am...

They paid for the cabin and then the hotel for however long we want (we only had a couple days cuz my hubby farms) and they gave us $100 to do our laundry. So we spent the second day tired as heck. We spent hours washing everything we had with us. We even put our shoes in the dryer. Thankfully we all brought bags instead of luggage, so that all went to dryers as well. Then also used some raid, wiped down, and vacuumed out our vehicle.

The third day we decided to go hike in the mountain. We had tons of little things go wrong. Like I had been taking pictures with my awesome camera all the way up. Right as we got to the waterfall my battery died. Usually no big deal, but I learned the hard way something new about my battery charger! My back up battery was dead too. I love to take pictures...I cried.

Then when we got back to town we had had our coolers loaded with some good food we were going to cook out. It's like 9pm now. We put the last of our charcoals in a grill and light it up. About a minute and a half later.....downpour rain!! And it didn't stop. At this point we just laugh at ourselves (in a sad way) and go get the kids some Wendy's.

We had to leave but my friend stayed a few more days and said they took everything out of our room! I brought her kids back with me to visit. We kept everything in our vehicle the next day so that the sun would cook anything that might have made it! Then the next day we had this freak storm that took down trees and powerlines. Our power was out and our generator took a poo. We got another one, but no power for three days.

Honestly I still have fears about the bedbugs. Keeps me up at night sometimes. What I've read is that people don't usually feel them because they inject a numbing agent into you and they stay on the bed so they don't crawl on you. I, however, have a hard time getting numb like when at the dentist they have to give me 7-8 shots to numb me. That's my theory on how I felt them. About a week later we had bites show up on us. My DH had many bites on the back of his neck! We were SOOOOOO LUCKY that I felt them.

We asked how could housekeeping not see those? We thought it had been empty or not cleaned in a while....nope, people had just checked out from a 3 day weekend...

So, when you check into a place either don't bring your stuff in or put it in the bathtub and then immediately check under the mattresses for bugs or their poop which looks like tons of flea dirt.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

SC_Cat replied to naggingwife74's response:
Nagging... Enjoy every minute of your time with your son... Remember that where you are is exactly where I was last year this time... my son graduating from Army boot Camp... and now he is being deployed to Afghanistan next week... He is home with me right now and hug him every chance I get... Let your son know that we are proud of him and that our prayers are with him... Pray for our Troops...

naggingwife74 replied to cjh1203's response:
Well thanks both of you! I can't believe it's been 3 months either! It did go by fast but it seemed to take forever, does that make sense?

I have been an emotional wreck the entire time mainly because I worry too much about things I can't control. this time next year he will most likely be in Afganistan so I will be a blubbering fool. But, right now, he is graduating from something that very few people even want to try so I am very proud of him!

I will admit, I have a new found pride when I see a flag or anything patriotic. I have a new appriciation of people that serve and have served because I can somewhat relate to what they and their families have sacrificed for me and my family. Okay, I'm done. Now I'm all teary eyed!!

cjh1203 replied to tmlmtlrl's response:
That sounds really horrible. I had a dream the other night that we had bedbugs. They've become so common now, I always check the mattress as soon as we get into a hotel room.

cjh1203 replied to SC_Cat's response:
SC_Cat, I can't even imagine what it must feel like to send your son off to Afghanistan, but I know you're very proud of him. I hope you'll post updates now and then. I'll be thinking of you and your family, and I'm sorry you have such a rough day coming up next week.

MissCaptainKirk responded:
First of all, bad sex is not good. But I'm sure it's different for everyone. And I guess you would have to define "bad"... like traumatic or like just boring/awkward?

Secondly, bad vacations are just bad. And believe me, I have been on HORRIBLE vacations. My mom was a trip-aholic, we went on a vacation every other month and we were staying in nice hotels bcuz she refused to stay in a normal one. However since she freely shared their financial situation even as a kid I knew it was a terrible idea to spend money on vacation when they were so in debt. I even begged them not to go or to leave me home, which caused huge fights/verbal abuse/panic attacks on my part.
Imagine a 10-year old child pleading with her parents not to go on vacation.
During the vacations I wouldn't buy any toys and I was always starving bcuz I barely ate, trying to save as much money as I could. It's not a wonder I had heart problems later, with all that stress.

Had some very bad experiences on my most recent vacation with my husband. To tmlmtrl, I know how you feel about bugs. And on vaca last week I had a nightmarish experience with cockroaches the size of MY HAND in our very questionable condo. Yeah.

P.S. to naggingwife74, so happy for you to see your son and I will be keepin him in my thoughts.

stephs_3_kidz replied to MissCaptainKirk's response:
I would say we've had some pretty good vacations. No bad ones!

However, we were in Pigeon Forge in June, and had the kids at the pool the last night we were there. There was a really dark cloud moving right at us at the hotel and all of a sudden the wind picked up something fierce. We all ran inside, people were screaming but I didn't know why.

The storm went on for about an hour, Pigeon Forge lost power but thankfully our hotel had backup generators---we never lost tv, power, anything.There was a tree right outside our 4th floor room and it was whipping back and forth like nothing I've ever seen.

The next evening when we got home I was looking at the news website from Knoxville (near PF) and a woman had sent in a picture of a funnel cloud about 1/4 mile from my hotel during that same storm. It was hanging WAY down, nearly to the ground.

Then I knew why people were screaming!! We were so close to it, it just looked like a dark, very low cloud. We didn't even realize what it was.

tmlmtlrl replied to stephs_3_kidz's response:
What weekend were you there? We were there the 7th thru the 10th. There were a few bad storms then. That'd be crazy if we were there at the same time!

stephs_3_kidz replied to tmlmtlrl's response:
We left the Monday after Father's Day. 19th? 20th? Whatever that was. We only stayed 2 nights, that's about all the little one can handle.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am not komfortable puting a pikture up yet. I like LARPing, conventions, and my frend likes these things too. I met him at a festival. I was just a...More

Helpful Tips

Books for relationships/love
I know we've probably shared this in the past, but I thought it would be nice for the new exchange. These are books I've found to be ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 300 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.