Skip to content

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
Earthquake
tmlmtlrl posted:
I know we have quite a few east coasters on here and wondered who felt it. I did not, but I'm listening to the radio and apparently a lot of people felt it here in MI.

Have you ever felt an earthquake??

My first was out in CA. It scared the crap out of me. I had never realized there are different types of earthquakes or different ways to feel them. The one out there was a huge jolt. I thought a car crashed into our house! lol! I felt one here in MI this spring. It was more of the shaky kind.

My brother is still in CA so I get all the cool details when they have bigger ones. During the last one he was downtown San Diego and not only did the buildings sway, but he said when he looked at the ground the pavement was rolling like waves! So cool!

I bet the people in the pentagon crapped their pants!!! LOL ;D
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

stephs_3_kidz responded:
I'm in VA. Definitely felt it!

tmlmtlrl replied to stephs_3_kidz's response:
Soo, being that close how was it? Did you have stuff falling off your walls or what? I'm surprised how much people around here felt. Did the kids freak out? Were they at school? Was that a first for you?
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

stephs_3_kidz replied to tmlmtlrl's response:
I had one kid freak out at school, she was crying when DH picked her up and he had to stop and call me bc she was worried about me and her baby brother. They didn't even feel that much shaking, but the teacher made them get under their desks just in case and it freaked baby girl out. Nobody was hurt or anything. My husband was just a couple miles from the school and felt nothing.

Here, I was sitting on the couch with my youngest and all of a sudden I just felt like I was going up and down--my first reaction was the washer was spinning too hard. I went and looked, it wasn't even on. I grabbed my son and headed outside, then it stopped. Things were moving on the walls and dishes were rattling. Sort of like being on a boat with small waves.

It was a first for me, for sure. LOL

We are a little over 200 miles from the epicenter, so I'd imagine it was much worse there!

It shook me up for a little afterwards. Then the kids were home and we had dinner and homework, so I was quickly distracted. We watched some of the local news coverage but it got repetitive and there wasn't any real damage here except for a woman who found a crack in her foundation.

They said the earthquake hit at 1:51. I looked back at my cellphone and saw where I'd tried to call DH (repeatedly, LOL) and it was 1:54 the first time I called. So it only took about 3 minutes for the shockwaves to travel 200 miles!

That got long. Sorry. I'm rather wordy.

gd9900 responded:
We felt it in NH...I was at work discussing a project with a collegue when another collegue called out "did you feel the earthquake?" At that moment the guy I was talking with was looking intently at his computer moniters...that's when I noticed they were shaking. A few seconds later I felt the next shockwave. Ten minutes later we learned it had originated in VA!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Majoring in dietetics. I love learning anything about health and medicine, human physiology, and nutrition. I'm a strong believer in preventive me...More

Helpful Tips

Books for relationships/love
I know we've probably shared this in the past, but I thought it would be nice for the new exchange. These are books I've found to be ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 300 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.