Skip to content

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
OT: Irene
alaska_mommy posted:
Hey y'all,
Anyone slated to be in Hurricane Irene's path? Or already dealt with it? We will be seeing some strong winds and rain from the storm system sometime tonight. I'm sorta excited, I do like storms, but we are all prepared too, with lots of fresh water saved up and food, clothing, and blankets laid out in the basement just in case.
I hope we get a little excitement, but not so much that it causes too much inconvenience. LOL I'm such a storm junkie.
Everyone take care!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

cjh1203 responded:
I live in Florida and I love thunderstorms but the two big hurricanes we got hit with in 2004 cured me of any excitement over hurricanes! They were horrible experiences, and our house didn't even get damaged very much. I'm so sorry for people in Irene's path.

We did get some wind and quite a bit of rain from Irene for a couple of days -- the rain was a good thing because we've been in such a drought.

I spent a couple of days in the Red Cross office this week trying to find out how many of our volunteers were going to be available locally if we needed them, and for three-week deployments in the areas that are being impacted -- our chapter has already sent some people up north.

Hope you make it through the storm without too much excitement. It sounds like you're well-prepared.

cfisk responded:
I'm in Philadelphia and we're not going to get the worst of the storm because we are well inland. We're expecting lots of rain and high wind but we won't have hurricane-level wind and we'll have flooding in a small area near the rivers.

I figure we might get a power failure. They're shutting down public transport at around midnight but everyone is assuming that we'll be back to work as usual on Monday. Ok, whatever. I just walk to the office.

The mayor in New York City is much more concerned because they are so close to sea level. They shut down the subway, bus service, and regional train lines, which is a good idea. All of the airports around New York have stopped accepting arriving flights earlier today and they'll probably shut down departures later tonight.

alaska_mommy replied to cjh1203's response:
cjh, I guess I look forward to this because I grew up in Portland, OR, where if we had one thunderstorm in the summer it was a big deal. Here in PA we get them all the time, and even with that they still aren't quite enough of a thrill for me. I guess I want the thrill of the storm with the knowledge that it won't be dangerous. But you can't have both, it's either on or the other.
I don't mean to downplay the destruction some are facing. I don't wish that on anyone. I guess I'm just looking forward to whatever comes my way, not wishing for any damage on anyone.
I can understand not looking forward to hurricanes if you've experienced some scary ones. This will be the first one I've ever seen.
cfisk, glad you are not close to the coast. Stay safe!

FCL responded:
The closest I'll get is dealing with bad jokes about Hurricane Irene. Irene is my real first name ...
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

alaska_mommy replied to FCL's response:
Haha!

longduckdong46 replied to alaska_mommy's response:
My take on hurricane Irene...over-hyped and overblown. The news media, politicians and storm forcasters layed an egg with this one.
What I found amazing was some of the newscasters were standing out in it, claming 70 mile an hour wind gusts, while telling everyone else to take shelter. If you look in the background you see normal everyday people frolicking and kicking the waves.
Since it was to bare down on the media capital of the world ( NYC ) and the desire for ratings they played it way up.

Your not over-hyped FCL .

stephs_3_kidz replied to longduckdong46's response:
It killed almost 40 people and left what, 7 million people without power at one time? Not to mention it spawned several tornadoes, and destroyed houses, apartment, and businesses with flooding. Washed out bridges and stranded people on mountains. Carried off several mobile homes.

I'd say it was pretty serious!

cjh1203 replied to longduckdong46's response:
How can you say it was over-hyped and overblown when so many people were killed and there was such terrible destruction over such a huge area? All of the media coverage about it probably saved a lot of lives.

Some people who frolicked in the waves ended up drowning.

It was an absolutely horrible event, and I can't believe that anyone could be so dismissive of it.

MissCaptainKirk replied to longduckdong46's response:
While I believe that the media hypes things sometimes, I don't think they hyped a hurricane. It's a hurricane. Why would you need to hype it?
My cousins' home got affected it by it, tremendous damage, lots of people don't have any homes anymore, and people have died.
Even if the media is being dramatic about it, wouldn't you rather them be dramatic and cause people to get to safety just in case instead of people thinking it's no big deal and getting killed?

To alaska_mommy, hope you guys don't get too much of the bad weather! Stay safe!

Anon_129305 replied to MissCaptainKirk's response:
All the papers are saying over hyped, but I believe the reason there is a huff over it is because funds are being diverted to it and that those funds were targeted to the tornado disasters. The hurricane with 30 something fatalities verses the tornados hundreds.

The damage cost is only projecting to be about a third of what the tornados did. And although there are isolated towns with the hurricane, the tornados destroyed towns.

It's my disaster is worst than your disaster type of thing, and a fight is brewing by the limited funding FEMA has.

Hurricanes (floods) are bad, so are tornados. I'm from where we have them both. The problem isn't the disasters or the funding. The problem is FEMA. It's the real disaster.

alaska_mommy replied to MissCaptainKirk's response:
We didn't have anything more than just blustery winds and rain. I was a little disappointed. But a couple people still died in this area, one from a tree falling on their trailer and another which was really sad, a dad died saving his son from getting crushed by a falling tree. I really hate hearing stuff like that---I mean, it was the most heroic thing he could have done---but now that little boy is without a daddy. That's really heartbreaking.

We lost power for a few hours but it came back on the same day. I hear there are still some people without power right now.

MissCaptainKirk replied to Anon_129305's response:
It's really sad that FEMA is such a disaster. You would think after the whole Hurricane Katrina disaster they would have worked on making FEMA more effective.

MissCaptainKirk replied to alaska_mommy's response:
Wow I'm glad you and your family is ok!
That's very sad about the people dying, and that the poor little boy has no daddy. I hope he is ok.

Anon_76083 replied to alaska_mommy's response:
alaska_mommy, what part of PA are you from? I live about 10 miles from where the man was killed in the trailor.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Married for 9 yrs (together 10 yrs). We have five, almost (next one due Dec. 2010) six kids. So we lead busy lives at home. Work is the most peace and...More

Helpful Tips

Get on with your life.
Once they cheat, believe me they will always cheat, they don't know the real meaning of true love & devotion. If it bothered him in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.