Skip to content

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
OT: romantic getaway destinations
queston posted:
My wife and I are planning a short trip for our 25th anniversary, which is in June. We're trying to go somewhere romantic but not necessarily break the bank. I welcome any thoughts on these destinations we have in mind or any additional suggestions of destinations:

More expensive air travel trips:

Belize
Quebec City
Bar Harbor, Maine
NYC
Hawaii
New Orleans. (I really want to go there, but late June is definitely not ideal)
Lake Tahoe area
San Juan Islands (WA)

Some less expensive places we could drive to:

Santa Fe/Taos area
Michigan (where we have family): either reliving our honeymoon at Mackinac Island, or some other Great Lakes resortish area.

cfisk responded:
Good idea about New Orleans---it might be really hot, humid, sticky and "buggy" (or insect-y) in June. You'll wilt.

I'm not well traveled but I've been to New York a lot. I think of New York as very exciting but not romantic. If you want a romantic getaway, I would not recommend New York. It's very exciting but it's exhausting and you're going to have so much sensory input (sights, sounds, pedestrian traffic, people handing things to you, people talking to you, vehicular traffic, stumbling over uneven pavement), that you will collapse exhausted on the bed by the time you get up to your hotel room.

Plus, it's very expensive. I would not get a cheap hotel room in New York either because I'd be too afraid of bedbugs. Even some of the mid-level hotels reportedly have bedbugs.

Don't get me wrong, I love New York and New York history to the point of obsession, but I would not choose that city for a romantic getaway. You and your wife want a place that's interesting but a little more mellow. After all, the two of you want to be able to relax and focus on each other and that appreciation that you have for each other, and to nurture the intimacy. You don't want to be frazzled.

Maine and Quebec might be refreshing and cool in June and there's an upside to that---cozy times together.

cjh1203 responded:
I'd go for the San Juan Islands. I haven't been to the islands, but I love that part of the country, and you may see a lot of whales.

GuardSquealer responded:
For my wifes graduation from college a few years ago I took her to a resort in Punta Canta the Dominican Republic. It was a very romantic vacation. And very affordable. They have package deals. It was like a cruise on land. They had lots of activities if you wanted, romantic dinners on the beach in the evenings. Couples massages and other things you could do together.

Just take their advice and stay within the resort.

BalconyBelle replied to GuardSquealer's response:
At this point, a romantic getaway destination for my fiance and I would be anywhere where we could spend some time together. You could stick us in a Wal-Mart parking lot & it might as well be Paris--all we want is to get through the year and be in each other's arms again. Long distance is driving me crazy.

I know one day he wants to take me camping on a mountain owned by the Boy Scouts...I'm not sure how that's going to work or if we'll need to sneak in, but he says there's a clearing with a lake nestled halfway up the mountain looking out over a valley, about 4,000 ft above sea level, where you can see for miles. It's his favorite place on earth, and he wants to share it with me.

I want to take him to Greece, specifically, Ios Island in the middle of the Ionian sea. Just a speck on the map, tiny, reserved, practically forgotten by tourists and natives alike, with some of the most glorious beaches and turquoise blue water I've ever seen. Athens and Santorini are just a ferry ride away, so we can still see some nightlife & tourist traps before heading back to our private island paradise.
http://erynlockhart.wordpress.com

stephs_3_kidz responded:
I think Mackinac Island sounds fabulous.

queston replied to stephs_3_kidz's response:
Funny--we talked about this a bit last night, and my wife nixed that one.

I think she would really like to go to Hawaii--we've never done that kind of vacation before.

Personally, Belize sounds similar but better to me: much more affordable, it's a foreign country, but they speak English, nice mix of beach/snorkelling etc cultural sites, mountains/rain forest. (i.e. a lot like Hawaii but cheaper).

mrslee97658 replied to queston's response:
I would love Hawaii, my dad went there 7 years ago and described how beautiful it was and told me that should be on my bucket list . I think your wife might enjoy that or something similar.

tmlmtlrl replied to queston's response:
I have to tell ya Hawaii was a dream of mine that I honestly never thought would come true. Then we went for our honeymoon! It was everything I could've hoped for and more. I LOVED IT! I look forward to returning someday...

I personally am not thrilled about leaving the country although we did a day trip to the Bahamas. I'm sure I will cross borders at some point, but it freaks me out!!

Why not do a cruise then? You could hit Belize and a few other places. My SIL did that. She loved Belize!
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

stephs_3_kidz replied to queston's response:
I said Mackinac because I've wanted to go there forever. Maybe for my 20th anniversary. My 15th anniversary is coming up next Wed. and we haven't planned a thing!

My ideal getaway is a secluded cabin in Gatlinburg in the middle of a snowstorm with a fridge full of food, a hot tub, and no reason to leave.

Foreverinyoureyes2 replied to tmlmtlrl's response:
I went to Hawaii when I was 15 and it was a fantastic trip. Funny though, I kinda have a, "been there, done that" feeling towards the Islands now, and would rather go somewhere I have never been.

I am a TOTAL beach lover. My ideal vacation is always centered around a beach theme. Our go-to vacation spot is Gulf Shores Alabama. It is affordable and driveable, which is required with so many kids. Can you imagine air fare for 7? I can't imagine packing for 7 with the guidelines for air travel!

Regarding leaving the Country Tml. One of my dearest friends from grade school had a destination wedding 11 years ago to an all inclusive resort in Cancun. We couldn't afford for the entire family to go, so Andy stayed home with the kids and my best friend went with me instead.

I was SO excited for months, and finally the day came, and we travelled to Chicago to stay overnight with the Bride so that we could all travel to the airport together. The plane left at 6am, and we had to be at the airport at 4. At about midnight I sat up in bed, went into a catatonic state, and had a panic attack, explaining to my bff that I absolutely could not be in an ENTIRE different country than my children.

She talked me off the ledge, and of course, I went and had the time of my life. But I feel ya on leaving the states!

queston replied to Foreverinyoureyes2's response:
"I am a TOTAL beach lover."

See, I am the total opposite. I love the mountains, I love a vibrant city, but I get bored fairly quickly on a beach. If we go somewhere beachy, there have to be lots of other interesting things to do besides lie around on a beach, because I have very limited patience for that activity.

Anon_121810 replied to queston's response:
Tahoe!

Then you get beach, mountains and little city....one of the most beautiful places ever. It's usually pretty cheap to fly into reno and drive there.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I work third shift, and I spend a lot of time checking out Webmd. I use to go to a lot of different boards, but now I primarily spend my time on coupl...More

Helpful Tips

Get on with your life.
Once they cheat, believe me they will always cheat, they don't know the real meaning of true love & devotion. If it bothered him in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 8 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.