Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
Privacy & the Web
Spankyrae posted:
Listening to NPR today, I heard a story I thought was interesting and relates to our board (and the hot topic on hand lately):

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/28/140879480/who-are-you-really-activists-fight-for-pseudonyms

If you could no longer post anonymously or without being identified to something like Facebook, would you still post here in this community?
http://www.AConleyCreation.com/
http://CreativeBlossoming.wordpress.com

BalconyBelle responded:
I would, though I'd be dreading the day when a family member found my contributions & decided to rake me over the coals for what I've written here (Family is uber-conservative & sexually repressed...mom & dad would probably itch to disown me).

On-line anonymity is vitally important for forums like these, when people are struggling for advice on concerns or issues they're either unable, or unwilling to express to friends and family--the entire reason many may post is BECAUSE it's anonymous; what they post will not follow them into real life. Stripping that away solely in an attempt to get rid of a few trolls who can be suppressed by other means is overkill, IMO
http://erynlockhart.wordpress.com

GuardSquealer responded:
I would not. I reveal many things here and discuss many things that I wouldn't really want to discuss on facebook. I am friends with my daughter, mother, and many other relatives. And I really don't need them knowing my train of thought. Or opinions and thoughts on sex.

stephs_3_kidz responded:
Nope, I wouldn't. Mostly because there are a lot of crazy people in the world.

3point14 responded:
Oh yeah, wouldn't bother me a bit. There's nothing I'd put into type that I wouldn't be ready to have tattooed on my forehead, because I think the illusion of anonymity is pretty much a joke anyway. I used to hang out with hackers, and really with enough know-how and determination your whole online life can be exposed.

Sure, I talk about a lot of stuff here that'd be kind of awkward for my family to know, but I don't have a problem with it if they did. I kinda live my life with the thought "If my Gram saw how I was behaving right now, how would she feel?" and I think besides the semi-rampant substance use, I don't think there'd be an issue with how I behave.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Yes, I'd still post. I don't post anything there I'd be ashamed if someone else saw it.

An_240094 replied to BalconyBelle's response:
I am with you on this.

ImMe26 responded:
I still post, I dont say anything here that I couldnt say to someone who asked me IRL.

If I feel uncomfortable with something I just dont post or answer .
Don't put off tomorrow, what you can accomplish today!! Procrastination is a KILLER!!--ME(26)SO(28)DD1(10yr)DD2(8yr)DS(2yr)SO's-DD(8yr)DS1(6yrs)DD(5yr)LUV THEM ALL ALWAYS WANTED A HUGE FAMILY

stephs_3_kidz replied to ImMe26's response:
Well I don't have Facebook anyway. And if I had to create a FB account to post here? I wouldn't.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 21 year old young lady in college, I am in a monogamous relationship with a great guy who I only want to strangle some times! LOL We don't ...More

Helpful Tips

How to change my story
I went to my community profile and it would let me edit my picture and signature but would not let me change my story. I had just realized ... More
Was this Helpful?
135 of 144 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.