Skip to content

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
BLACK Friday Confessions 11/25/11 Who has to work today?
GuardSquealer posted:
Well I have to work the day after Thanksgiving. Who else out there is working today? Who went shopping? What great deals did you get? I tried a couple years ago to get some of the doorbuster stuff. Didn't work out so well for me. I don't think I am buy too much this year. Daughter already got a new car. And she wants a pair of custom spurs. And the wife wants a new mattress. So other than a few other small things that should be it for the year.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

alaska_mommy responded:
I don't have to work (other than the usual--the kid) and I am fighting a nasty cold so I'm not going anywhere. I'm not a fan of black friday anyway...too much madness!

3point14 replied to alaska_mommy's response:
I'm at work in a retail store (not at a retail store if that makes sense) and it's semi-hellish. I'm in hour three of a ten hour shift, and dealing wih the crowds while not really knowing what's going on in the store is kinda very frustrating. This is exacerbated because I got two hours of sleep last night after a completely ridiculous party during which I got extremely intoxicated.

That being said, I'm in a completely wonderful mood and eagerly looking forward to getting home to some leftovers.

fcl responded:
I'm working today - but that's only to be expected, it's a normal, standard working day.

It's funny to think that I only ever heard of black Friday last year... Live and learn - lol
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

Spankyrae replied to fcl's response:
Does this Black Friday phenomenon exist where you live? Or is it just an American thing? I'm pondering this year why people go so nuts over this stuff. It's sad IMO.
http://www.AConleyCreation.com/
http://CreativeBlossoming.wordpress.com

fcl replied to Spankyrae's response:
It's a very American thing. Didn't have it in the UK either.
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

ImMe26 replied to Spankyrae's response:
YAY I dont get it either and has anyone notice that Thanksgiving is almost ceasing to exist? EVERYTHING is about Christmas, all the specials on TV were about Christmas, all the ads are about Chritmas, everything just seems to be about Christmas.

Used to be back in the day, which really wasnt that long ago, that there wasnt a thing open on Thanksgiving, everyone was home enjoying the holiday, now its just like a dinner before everyone shops...

IDK I just feel like its going to disappear before my kids get to enjoy if for what it is. Just a relaxing day to be with friends/family and enjoy good food and football.
Don't put off tomorrow, what you can accomplish today!! Procrastination is a KILLER!!--ME(26)SO(28)DD1(10yr)DD2(8yr)DS(2yr)SO's-DD(8yr)DS1(6yrs)DD(5yr)LUV THEM ALL ALWAYS WANTED A HUGE FAMILY

Spankyrae replied to ImMe26's response:
Exactly! And I think it's crap that all these places now open Thanksgiving night or even at midnight, so their employees have to worry about ending their holiday early.

I also don't understand why it's such craziness and why we let it be that way. Camping out in line for a day to get a super deal on something you probably don't need anyhow? Insanity. Or why don't these places just offer these deals during normal business hours?!

ImMe26 replied to Spankyrae's response:
Im so glad im not alone Spanky!! LOL.

I just remember it being so different not that long ago......
Don't put off tomorrow, what you can accomplish today!! Procrastination is a KILLER!!--ME(26)SO(28)DD1(10yr)DD2(8yr)DS(2yr)SO's-DD(8yr)DS1(6yrs)DD(5yr)LUV THEM ALL ALWAYS WANTED A HUGE FAMILY

LovelyChelle8 responded:
I have usually always had to work on Black Friday, when I was working at Victoria's Secret that was the most stressful time. We had food brought to us so we never had to leave during breaks. It was so stressful because there is a mess every where, you have to look out for shoplifters, and some people are just insane when it comes to Black Friday,

I work for a national bank now and sadly,we are opened, but this day is usually quite slow. So I'm doing some studying and watching Netflix. DBF and I did buy new living room furniture today so that was nice. Since we don't have children there isn't really any point in us waiting in line at midnight. I'd like to just experience it all one day, but like I said, some people are crazy.

I do think it is unfair that some businesses ask their employees to come to work during the holdiday, especially places like Wal-mart that opened at 10 p.m. last night. But I'm sure those who worked offered to and maybe made some kind of holiday pay.

Spankyrae replied to LovelyChelle8's response:
Speaking of VS, the news reported that at our local mall there was a fight inside that store. Sheesh. Good thing you don't work there anymore. It seems illegal for them not to have allowed you guys breaks.

LovelyChelle8 replied to Spankyrae's response:
People were always fighting it seemed, especially in the PINK department. And we had breaks, but they never allowed us to leave the store, like we normally did to eat in the food court, that day so we'd sit in the back hallway and snack during our scheduled breaks. I didn't get a break one year since I knew how to handle the registers when it was hectic, my manager would just let me run to the back and grab a finger sandwich or cookie and water then run back. (One of the reasons that led to me quitting.)

They take all that very, very seriously that it seems crazy lol.

3point14 replied to Spankyrae's response:
I think the whole camping and earlier hours thing is a manifestation of how bad our economy is getting. I think people, as their situations get more and more dire, are more and more willing to do things that seem ridiculous to keep up the illusion of Christmas. The pile of stuff under the tree, everyone getting their dream gift, that kinda thing.

As acheiving that gets less and less likely with peoples financial situations getting worse, businesses still have to generate sales to stay open. Black Friday can account for up to 25% of a buisnesses income during the year, and making even an outrageous timetable for deals is going to encourage people to shop more. It wasn't designer jewelry stores that were opening early, it was stores catering to the middle and lower classes, because those stores have also been hit the hardest.

I've done it a few times, and I've never had a bad time. It's fun to be out that early and see the huge crowds, and you really can save a lot of money. I've always kind of assumed that the kinds of people who were dedicated enough to get up that early and camp out are probably the kinds of people who enjoy shopping and pride themselves on finding a good deal.

I also think Christmas buzz happening on Veterans' Day (I work for an evil corporation, this is when they started playing the Christmas music) is to create a feeling of urgency for people to buybuybuy. It's definitely irritating, but I try not to get too annoyed by it. I figure if the most annoying thing going on around me is that too many people are being festive and cheerful, things aren't really that bad

darlyn05 responded:
I've never done the Black Friday thing. As 3.14 mentioned I think it's alot of hype for sales. The stores have the same deals or bargains going on for the next week or so and even some better deals after that.

What is Christmas really about anyway!?! I can't say that I'm a religous person in say scriptures practice to a tee, it's just too commercialized for me for some of the holidays and has been for years. So we try to instill the true meaning of the holidays for future generations. How else are we going to be able to preserve the true essence of the meaning behind holidays!?!

As God spoke down to Moses, 'Leave now and return, for the city has corrupted themselves.'.

stephs_3_kidz responded:
We always go shopping on Black Friday. I don't know WHY. My husband is convinced that's what we should do. I could do without it, although I do love Christmas shopping, I feel like many people are mean and grouchy that day and it totally ruins my mood.

Really, people act like Black Friday is their only chance to get a deal between Thanksgiving and Christmas. When honestly, most of the best deals are still yet to come.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Co-parent of 4 beautiful children. 13, 6yr old twins and our only son who is 2. I work in L.E. (law enforcement). I love bingo and am slowly becoming ...More

Helpful Tips

Get on with your life.
Once they cheat, believe me they will always cheat, they don't know the real meaning of true love & devotion. If it bothered him in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.