Skip to content

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
Christmas Confessions - What are you giving your SO this year? Everyone else? Has the economy hindered your shopping?
GuardSquealer posted:
I have been working a ton of Overtime. Mainly to get my wife the new mattress set she wanted. We bought it the other day. My daughter has Christmas everyday. Pretty much her new Dodge Challenger is her Christmas present. And my mom got a new sump pump since hers burnt up the other day and she didn't have the money to replace it.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

ImMe26 responded:
Nothing.

Nothing.

Definately.
Don't put off tomorrow, what you can accomplish today!! Procrastination is a KILLER!!--ME(26)SO(28)DD1(10yr)DD2(8yr)DS(2yr)SO's-DD(8yr)DS1(6yrs)DD(5yr)LUV THEM ALL ALWAYS WANTED A HUGE FAMILY

tlkittycat1968 responded:
SO: French Fry cutter
Kids: 2 toys each
Niece/Nephews: 1 toy each

Yes, the economy has definitely hindered out shopping. I would have liked to get more for our kids but couldn't afford it.

Foreverinyoureyes2 responded:
I think that the economy touches each of us in one way or another.

This year I told the kids to make their Christmas "Wish List's" in order of importance, so that I would know what they really, really wanted so that I could make sure that everyone got a couple of things that really meant a lot to them.

Out of respect for others on this board I will not list out the items that I got for my family, because for those having a meager Christmas, my list would seem excessive and it probably is.

We always try to give a little back though. This year our charity began at home. One of my aunts is raising her 2 granddaughters (ages 4 and 2) and my other aunt shared with me that the girls were not going to get anything for Christmas this year. I purchased two $100 Toys R Us gift cards and gave them to my Aunt so that she could make sure that there were presents under the tree for the girls. When I gave them to my Aunt she cried and cried and shared how heavily it had been weighing on her mind that she couldn't afford anything for them. I was glad I was in a position to make sure that didn't happen.

Just this evening I had a talk with the 3 youngest kids about being thankful and appreciative for what they have. I hope it sinks in. I hope that they don't think that they live in a land where North Face jackets, lap tops and Ipod touches grow on trees.

Tori, your post broke my heart. I am not pitying you, because I know that you wouldn't want that. But as a mom, I know it must be so hard not to have the resources to get your kids presents on the holidays. That sucks, and I am thinking of you. I know you are a hard worker, and I hope that the tide turns your way sooner rather than later.

candy352 responded:
I haven't done any Christmas shopping and I don't plan on it. I think that me and my SO have already given each other a gift, our newborn. And she doesn't need anything for Christmas right now. She doesn't understand Christmas at 2 weeks old. We will be spending Christmas with my family and everyone will have to understand that all of my resources have gone towards things for the baby.
Candy 26, DF 36, PG with 1st child, EDD 1/6/12

fcl responded:
We stopped giving each other presents the year that the girls were born. We now decide what we (collectively) want and then buy that. This year it's an espresso coffee machine (and it should be arriving this afternoon).

My daughters still believe (well at least one of them does and I suspect that the other is just playing along but REALLY don't want to ask that question - lol) in Santa so they never actually notice whether they get anything from us or not.
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

BalconyBelle replied to fcl's response:
I got my fiance audio tapes of the novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter (The Showtime TV series it inspired is one of our favorites to watch together). He has a lot of long drives, and this way he'll have something aside from music or talk radio to listen to while on the road.

Handmade ornaments, artwork, and fudge for everyone else, plus a fuzzy fleece throw with mindi designs for one of my sisters.

The economy has absolutely affected my shopping.

However, my mom & I still managed to help two kids from the angel tree at our church; a boy and a girl. They're each getting shoes, slippers, pants, shirt, pajamas, jacket, and a toy (a soccer ball and Barbie, respectively).
http://erynlockhart.wordpress.com

stephs_3_kidz responded:
Each year it seems like we cut back a little more, not bc of money but bc waste and excess is becoming more and more annoying.

I got DH a few nice things, music, cologne, a new watch, new coat...all things he'll use every day, nothing that will be a waste.

Spankyrae replied to stephs_3_kidz's response:
I'm with Stephanie in feeling the burden of excess this year. It's something I've been noticing in my own life and especially this time of year. But it is nice to be able to treat loved ones.

I pray that those who are unable to do much this year can find some peace in that and still have an enjoyable holiday. Gift giving doesn't have to be of the material kind. It can be something like cooking, car washing, etc. In fact, I think I'd like someone giving me a gift of washing my dishes for a month than anything else they could buy!

I also hope for peace and whatever is needed for those having a hard time with other things this season, such as missing loved ones.
http://www.AConleyCreation.com/
http://CreativeBlossoming.wordpress.com

ImMe26 replied to Foreverinyoureyes2's response:
Its okay im managing, just hate that im alone in all this. Atleast this year I have a tree, big comeup from last year, I had a Palm Tree with lights...worked just fine, but wasnt the same.

I do have a few things, but with the EX feeding the kids all these hopes and dreams , its makes it difficult for them to understand these are nice things, I can afford and its not the gift that matters. Everything is about quanity with them right now. Im not upset with them, I dislike the EX and how he is, wish he could be an adult....that aint happening.

Plus this was the most important holiday for my mom, she lived and breathed Christmas, and so there is this cloud over all this for me on top of doing this alone.
Don't put off tomorrow, what you can accomplish today!! Procrastination is a KILLER!!--ME(26)SO(28)DD1(10yr)DD2(8yr)DS(2yr)SO's-DD(8yr)DS1(6yrs)DD(5yr)LUV THEM ALL ALWAYS WANTED A HUGE FAMILY

kristinmarie722 replied to ImMe26's response:
I got my SO a Lowe's gift card, some thermal underwear (he works outside at times) and some shirts/sweatshirt. I am also going to make him a certificate for "a night out". I should be getting some back pay from work at the end of the month and if that comes through then I am going to take him out for the night, since he always pays for us to go out. I probably spent $60 maybe and I am sure he spent more on me, which I wish we would of discussed a budget before hand. But he knows I dont have a lot of money.

darlyn05 responded:
I found a bunch of wood laying around and since I do have extra time on my hands and enjoy crafty things I decided to make wood plagues for some people on my list. I sanded them, routered the edges and names, used left over paint for the letters, sanded again, stained, clear coated, sanded, clear coated, put hooks for hanging on the back.

Since atleast 1 of my GD's are affraid of the dark and going upstairs alone I put together kits for making 'rough rustic' dreamcatchers to go along with a childrens book of dreamcatchers and the wikipedia background of them. They enjoy learning and doing things as years ago, so that's a big plus.

I also used up things around with DDs' sewing machine; bags, blankets/quilts, fabic wall hangings.

I did baking for those not on the top of my list.

Stones/rocks(not small, just big enough to be carried) from out back are whimsically painted and clear coated.

I'm also trying to reduce items I have so things that are new that I can't remember why I bought them, I'm giving as presents; picture frames, whitty coffee mugs with cocoa/coffee/tea/treats or silk flowers, fancied up canning jars.

Pretty much everything looks as though I had spent a ton at the stores, sort of Martha Stewart like.

3point14 responded:
This year I'm getting M a bunch of smaller stuff, a pair of jeans, the Kama Sutra (for only $10 at Barnes and Noble ), some silly Star Wars stuff, and I'm taking him out galactic mini-golfing. I don't think he did anything too crazy for me this year, either. Last year it was our first Christmas together so we both went kind of nuts, but this year we had a few more medical bills than we'd anticipated, so we've decided to put health first and worry about gifts for birthdays.

For everyone else it's a mix of silly stuff in stockings, cheap stuff bought on sale or online, gift certificates with notes attached (like, "Let's make it a date!" on my Grams movie voucher) and homemade stuff. I made a bunch of collages for some of my artsier friends, and cookies for everyone, too. I tend to be really frugal during the year so I can afford to be excessive around Christmas, it matters a ton to me so I cut corners where I can.

I'm really excited to see my family tonight. I've had some bad health stuff going on this week and I really need to be wrapped up in the bosom of the people I love. I'm feeling a bit down in general, and knowing I'll be around my friends and family in a few hours is all that's keeping me really together at work right now.

RoseLynn02 responded:
I got my DH a black & white enlarged print of him & our oldest daughter giving our youngest daughter her first bath. Our old kitchen had a mirror in it so you get their side profiles & then in the mirror you see their wholes faces & it really shows the joy & emotion going on between them & the new baby ( who is now 1yr old as of 12/19). Our daughters got a lot of gifts from family member, but we got them a few things too. Dolls & such. Everyone else got a "merry Christmas, we love you!" phone call or text. ...except my mother-in-law who we hadn't seen in almost a yr....she got a coffee mug with pictures of all her grand-kids on it ( ours & her other kids)....it was $6 & she loves coffee (drinks it all day & night)...

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey there I am from MA, I am a flip flops and Margarita girl and would much rather be on a beach somewhere with DH then anywhere else in the world!

Helpful Tips

Get on with your life.
Once they cheat, believe me they will always cheat, they don't know the real meaning of true love & devotion. If it bothered him in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 8 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.