Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
Help! I have NO sex drive!
Stacey2005 posted:
Hi, all. . .I'll try to make this short. I am 31 years old, and my husband of almost 10 years is 37. We have two beautiful children, ages 5 and 2 1/2. It seems like since we've stopped trying to have kids, I have NO desire for sex whatsoever. I never initiate sex, and my husband has to get me close to orgasm before I'm interested in intercourse. Sometimes I have these weird feelings of anger, almost, when we're having sex. . . I don't know what the problem is. If the two of us are just watching TV or something and he starts touching me sexually, I feel uncomfortable. It's really tough for me to share this, but I know that he doesn't deserve my lack of interest. He tells me I'm in denial and that I'm just not physically attracted to him (he's overweight), but I really don't think I would want sex from ANYONE. I think I need to find a sex therapist or something, but I wondered if anyone here had any ideas or feedback for me. The only thing I can think of is that no one EVER talked about sex when I was growing up, and so maybe I've come to think of it as inappropriate/taboo/whatever. TIA for any input.

queston responded:
You say that your youngest is 2 1/2. Did you ever desires sex after that birth? Hormonal disruptions are, of course, part of the normal birth and post-partum cycle--maybe things never returned to their normal state?

Are you on any medications?

Did you ever feel differently about sex?

darlyn05 responded:
I know of a few mothers, younger and older, that go through this after children are born. Queston I think has a very good possibility for the reason. Also caring for and raising 2 young children let alone tending to a marriage can be exhausting to the point for the lack of interest. We don't view ourselves as a Man or a Woman any longer and that part of us, as these particular needs, gets lost temporarily.

Maybe if you internally focus on your sex appeal, sexuality, vivacious self as a woman.

stephs_3_kidz responded:
You are right in trying to figure out what's causing you to have these feelings. It's very, very important for a married couple to maintain a sexual relationship if they are able to do so. I can't add a whole lot without knowing more information like question asked you about..

I did wonder, though, (knowing how exhausting 2 small children can be!) do you feel you might have a fear of becoming pregnant again?

Stacey2005 replied to stephs_3_kidz's response:
No, there's no fear of pregnancy b/c DH had a vascectomy after our 2nd. I am not on any medications. . . I have always had irregular periods (currently haven't had one since September) and now am wondering if maybe I have some sort of hormonal imbalance that could be at issue here.

LiLMisShades responded:
Hi Stacey,

I don't think I'll be much help to you, but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in this! I am the exact mirror of what you are going through. I too am 31, and my husband is 35 (almost 36). We have an almost 13 yr old and a 2 yr old. This started happening with me a while ago and I atributed it to the pill. I went off the pill and that is when we started trying to concieve. Even then, I did not have much of a sex drive, but was driven more because I wanted a child. Since my son has been born my sex life has been none exsistant. I have ABSOLUTELY no interest in sex of any kind with anyone. And, I too feel uncomfortable when the mention of sex comes up or while we are having sex. I feel exhausted all the time and sex seems to be the last thing I want!

I am going to my gyny dr in a few days and had planned to talk with him about it. I don't know if there is some kind of chemical imbalance or if maybe I do need to talk with someone.

I came on here today to see if anyone else is going through this problem because I know it is so unhealthy for our relationship. My husband and I are equally frustrated with this and I'm not sure where else to turn!

So, know that you are not alone and that I truly understand everything that you are going through!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ruth and I am a married mother of 5 children. 4 boys and 1 girl ages 12, 9,5,4,and 6 months. My husband has swept me off of my feet 8 years...More

Helpful Tips

How to change my story
I went to my community profile and it would let me edit my picture and signature but would not let me change my story. I had just realized ... More
Was this Helpful?
135 of 144 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.