Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
Valentine's Day
MissCaptainKirk posted:
Valentine's Day is coming up, and I was wondering what y'all are doing to celebrate the holiday?

My friend suggested I write down exactly what I'd like to do for V-Day in a romantic-note sort of way and give the note to my husband so that he knows what I'd like and can maybe make some plans. I was wonderin what you guys are doin, a) to get some ideas and b) because I'm a sucker for real-life mushy romantic stories.

stephs_3_kidz responded:
Well, since we have 4 kids and no babysitter we won't really do much. I'll dress the kids up in cute red outfits and we'll probably all go out to eat right after school. DH and I might have a dinner alone next Friday night instead. I'm not a fan of going out on Valentine's Day evening for dinner because you can't get in ANYWHERE around here! We're in like an area hotspot, if you will, for restaurants, and it's so crowded.

I'm getting DH a couple John Deere shirts and some cologne he asked for. We always get the kids something small, too, so they don't feel left out.

I'm not sure what he got me exactly but I did see a purchase from Kay Jeweler's on our account and he told me to pretend I didn't see it and to act surprised. LOL

It's become increasingly important to me to not make Valentine's Day such a huge focus of romance but to make sure we appreciate each other 365 days a year. I've told DH I'd much rather have that instead of him focusing on that one day to do something nice/romantic for me. We still do little things for each other to celebrate but it's not as important to make a huge deal out of it as it used to be, for us.

GuardSquealer responded:
I will be attending training at work on Valentines day. Funny but 2/14 is the day I started at the prison 18 years ago. Easy to remember my anniversary date for work.

My first wife and I were married on Valentines day, so it was special for us. By current wife didn't like the idea of celebrating my first wedding anniversary date, so she has always said just to ignore Valentines day. But I always get her a little something.

Maybe I will try to make this weekend a little special. Don't know how yet, but I will figure something out. Maybe work overtime and let her spend the money.

We are going to the Boat show tonight, we have decided that the horses were for my daughter more than anything, and that we really don't have anything we do together than isn't related to the horses. So we are going to take some money we have saved and buy a boat. She loves the sun, and I love tubing, and skiing. This summer should be a blast.

alaska_mommy responded:
I think hubby and I are going to skip it this year. He lost a week of work due to my medical problems and neither of us are in the mood to celebrate anything after what happened.

BalconyBelle replied to alaska_mommy's response:
My fiance and I are both great cooks, so we generally fix each other a special meal of nothing but the other's favorite foods. I'll make him a goofy card, he'll play me a song, and we'll serenade each other on the living room sofa. Sometimes we'll go dancing, and sometimes we'll skip straight to staying in and spend the evening wrapped in each other's arms. One of the things my fiance looks forward to is unwrapping me--I love wearing lingerie any day of the year; but on valentine's, everything I wear is tug and release. With just a handful of fabric & satin bows holding my clothing on, even a natural klutz like me can manage an alluring striptease--and I have to admit, I couldn't ask for a more appreciative audience
http://erynlockhart.wordpress.com

3point14 responded:
M and I don't really care too much about V-Day, it's only significant for us because it marks the two year anniversary of the first time we exchanged "I love you"s. We don't like, go out to dinner or anything for it.

But! Because I too love any excuse to be mushy, I'll be doing some surprises. I'm going to visit my friend the day before and we're going to put together some home baked goodies. I'm also going to write M a huge letter about how much I love him and why, and then cut it into pieces, put them into envelopes with clues on 'em, and hide 'em around the house so he can find them all and piece together his love letter. I'll do this in the morning, so he can go to work feeling loved!

That night we don't have any plans and I'm ambivalent about making some. We both have Monday off and I'm sure we'll go on a hike and then hit the gym, so by Tuesday night we'll probably be open to seeing some friends. My best friend K is in a long distance relationship and probably won't be able to see her boyfriend, so I might get her a card and a small thing of champagne and have she and some other people over to watch a movie or something. M and I get a lot of satisfaction from being around the people we love, so I'm sure he'll be fine with friends being around.

butterfly19790424 replied to 3point14's response:
Since its just me and my daughter for V-day, I going to go to her school party that morning. Then Im taking her out for a late lunch early dinner.

I'm also going to get my mom a box of candy.
A true friend is someone who knows you're
a good egg even if you're a little cracked

queston responded:
I bought my wife a box of her favorite fancy chocolates.

I'm not sure if we'll have a romantic dinner or anything: I think my daughter has a basketball game that night. If it works out, I'll fix her a nice meal, or perhaps we'll go out for lunch.

kristinmarie722 replied to queston's response:
I bought a Valentines Day banner and some heart print paper plates. I also got my son a cd he wanted and card and some candy. Got my SO a gift card and 2 cards. Gonna hang up the banner. Buy some cakes, cookies, etc cause my SO loves sweets. I am hoping I dont have to cook. V Day isnt a big deal to me. But I am trying to make it special since this is mine and SOs first.

ImMe26 replied to kristinmarie722's response:
I bought my kids some treats and little nic-nacs....and I have no clue what Im getting my spouse. Its not really a big deal for us, I will proably cook a nice dinner and thats it.
Don't put off tomorrow, what you can accomplish today!! Procrastination is a KILLER!!--ME(26)SO(28)DD1(10yr)DD2(8yr)DS(2yr)SO's-DD(8yr)DS1(6yrs)DD(5yr)LUV THEM ALL ALWAYS WANTED A HUGE FAMILY

MissCaptainKirk responded:
Wow, it's been really interesting to read all the different kinds of plans. The theme seems to be that people are keeping it low-key. Which gave me this idea:

I think for V-Day I'll suggest that we dress up (because we both love dressing up) but go to a real inexpensive place like the local pizza shop or Dairy Queen or something, just to sort of symbolize how we can have fun going anywhere and it's nice to go out all dressed up but just being out together is most important.

And he loves Fanny May dark chocolate buttercreams so I'll get those for him. I told him I would like flowers and he said that he got me something so I'm pretty sure I'm getting flowers which is wonderful.
And I bought some lingerie which to be honest is mostly for me because I love it and I had like 3 coupons for it lol, couldn't pass up that deal. And also I just want to feel sexy on V-Day. And my sister-in-law got me a real pretty dress for my graduation gift which I'll wear! So excited.

So that's my plans, I'm very happy about it. And thank you all for sharing yours! I always love finding out more about you guys.
I hope you all enjoy tomorrow whether you're celebrating or not. I wish you all a good day! <3

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I bought the kids and DH some candy. I gave DH the suggestion of buying me some perfume since Avon no longer sells what I was using. DH asked for some leather wrist bands (he's in a band). Since I have no idea where to get those, he said he'd buy them if he could find them and pretend they were from me. We're also going out to dinner tomorrow night at a pizza place near my work.

MissCaptainKirk responded:
I hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day!

I just wanted to share some happy news with you guys. Valentine's Day evening was so shockingly amazing. We dressed up real fancy and went to a cheap restaurant to symbolize how we can have a good time anywhere.

At the restaurant, he apologized for not getting me a really meaningful or nice gift in a very long time. And he handed me a little box and I opened it and it was a gorgeous necklace. It came from the same store where out friends got us our wedding rings. The necklace matches my engagement ring/wedding ring (which I wear together). I about cried in the restaurant.

He also never once mentioned money or complained about anything. He again apologized because he hadn't taken me on a date in a very long time too and he hoped I had a wonderful time. Which I made sure to tell him how much I loved it!

At about this time my mind had been blown to smithereens by shock. This was a huge step for him and it was so encouraging. I think he will continue on this path to change and I really look forward to who he will become.

I just want to thank you all for all of the advice and help you've given me. He and I still have a long way to go in repairing our relationship but I have a lot of hope and I see our date as a great sign.

Again, thanks guys.

I went on a date!!!!!!!!! And it was romantic!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

queston replied to MissCaptainKirk's response:
That's great, MCK. I'm happy for you.

fcl replied to MissCaptainKirk's response:
Cool!
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Rachel, I'm 23 years old and have lived in KS my whole life :/ (I know...it's a sad thing) I have a wonderful boyfriend who I love ...More

Helpful Tips

Sex Problems Contribute to Relationship Woes
80% of women find it difficult to orgasm during intercourse. 33% of men suffer from premature ejaculation or erectile dysfunction problems. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 9 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.