Skip to content

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
Funny how things can change so quickly.
GuardSquealer posted:
Woke up early Monday morning to use the bathroom. My wife got up and asked me what was wrong with her. I looked at her face and it was horribly swollen. I wasn't sure what was going on with her. She is really sensitive to poison ivy so I thought maybe that was the problem. But she didn't think so. She asked me to take her to the ER, so I did. By the time we got there her throat had swollen shut. She couldn't swollow or speak. Once at the ER they took about 10 seconds and called a code, and a surgical team was there in a minute or two and rushed her to the OR to put in a breathing tube. They were affraid they might have to do a Tracheotomy if her throat swelled anymore.

A doctor took me to the ICU waiting area and I waited there for someone to come out. They had to put her on a ventilator.

Turns out she developed an allergy to Sulpha. She was on a med for a week for a UTI. She didn't have any problems until Sunday. I guess she had started to get a rash, but didn't think anything about it. Next thing you know she is in the ICU, breathing through a tube.

She has been in there for 2 days now. She is stabilized, and just waiting for the dr to let her off the vent. He is being cautious, wants to make sure there isn't going to be anymore swelling.

They said it was lucky when we got there. A few more minutes and it could have been a different story.

We were talking about things on the way home from a friends fathers wake, and discussed a lot of things that suddenly became more important in the span of a few minutes.

fcl responded:
Gosh, guard, how AWFUL! Fingers crossed that she gets better soon and that you can lower your level of stress. These situations come at you out of nowhere and happen so fast... and can change your entire perspective on life ...

I'm sending you both as much positive vibes as I can muster.
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

stephs_3_kidz responded:
Guard, I got chills reading that. So glad she's doing better now.

I will keep you and your wife in my prayers. Huge ((HUGS)) to you both.

3point14 responded:
Oh hun. I'm so glad at least it was something they could identify and start to remedy immediately.

Wishing her a quick recovery, and wishing you both some peace. I can't imagine how scary that must've been!

mrslee97658 responded:
Wow how scary, I'm glad you got her there in time.
Me 28, DH 43, DS1 (12), DD (9), DS2 (5), DS 3 (4), DS 4 (6 months)

butterfly19790424 replied to mrslee97658's response:
Scary! Im glad you got her to the ER in time.

Sending prayers for you and your family
A true friend is someone who knows you're
a good egg even if you're a little cracked

themanisnothere responded:
Wow!

themanisnothere responded:
Wow!

darlyn05 responded:
What a drastic change. I'm glad things worked out at the time and sincerely hope things are still going well for her.

fcl responded:
Any chance of an update, Guard?
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

GuardSquealer replied to fcl's response:
Sorry I should have gotten back sooner. She was in ICU for 3 days on a ventilator, the swelling finally went down enough they could remove the tube and take her off. She spent another day in the hospital and then came home. She was a little week for a few days, but has now went back to work and is doing fine.

Spankyrae replied to GuardSquealer's response:
That's good news!
http://www.AConleyCreation.com/
http://CreativeBlossoming.wordpress.com

fcl replied to GuardSquealer's response:
I am extremely glad to hear that. I hope she's feeling much better. Thank you for the update.

Helpful Tips

Books for relationships/love
I know we've probably shared this in the past, but I thought it would be nice for the new exchange. These are books I've found to be ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 300 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.