Skip to content

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
Missing Third Shift
GuardSquealer posted:
Well I have been off third now for about 6 months. I think I feel better and my mind is working a little better. But, I don't have as much time as I did. It was nice to be able to do whatever I wanted during the day really not worry about time. Now it seems that I have to hustle to get anything done.

It has turned my career around a little bit though. Everyone pretty much thought I was dead weight on third, as most people are. You are pretty much just there to fill a spot on third. If something happens then they need you.

We merged with the Medical Center on 1/1/12 and then we all had to pick our jobs again. I was bumbed out of my area I went too in october and now I am a yard officer.

I didn't like the condition of the grounds so I found a crew of workers that hadn't been working because nobody was making them. I started making them work and we have been pruning trees, trimming hedges, mowing grass, edging the sidewalks and whatever else I have felt like having them do. The place looks really nice.

After talking to an inmate that worked in the garden at another prison I decided to put in a garden at our prison. So my crew and a bunch of volunteers has been working on that. Since we are actually pretty much in the city, we don't have as much room as the rural prisons. But the warden gave me permisson to put it in an area that I thought would work. So we have been cutting the sod up manually. It is hard to get access to tools, they whine because it is hard work. But it keeps them out of trouble and I since a certain amount of pride in them for what they are doing.

The produce will be donated to a food bank. I have bought the seeds and supplies we have needed so far. We are starting all our plants from seeds. A lot of guys in here have never been near a garden before so there is some interest from them.

After we get all the sod cut up, I am bringing in a dump truck of composted horse manure from the farm to fertilize the ground. Hopefully I can get my tiller in for a couple days and we can get it worked up. Even though the temps are so high. We really can't plant until 5/15 anyways.

I have also started a going home clothes program for them. A lot of them don't have anything to wear when they leave. So we were sending them out in their prison uniforms. And they look pretty bad. Tough for them to get a start back out on the streets wearing that. So I have been trying to get some donated clothes so they at least have one decent looking outfit to wear when they leave.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Wow! Sounds like you've been very busy and productive. All the things you've been doing sound great and probably needed to be done. Even with all the grumbling from the workers, I'm sure they're proud of what they're doing and will be even more proud when they see the results of their hard work.

kristinmarie722 responded:
Wow Guard! Sounds like you are doing a lot of good things!

stephs_3_kidz responded:
Way to go!! That's awesome, everything you've been doing.

I know that the people are in prison for a reason but since they're there, might as well keep up the morale, you know some of those guys don't have anybody who care for them, and I'm sure having something productive to do gives them a boost.

Spankyrae responded:
That's pretty awesome the changes that you helped initiate. I like too that the harvest will be donated. I think it's cool as it could benefit the inmates by doing something that helps others.
http://www.AConleyCreation.com/
http://CreativeBlossoming.wordpress.com

darlyn05 responded:
Wow, again! Everythings sounds so positive. Congratulations on all of your achievements.

Would you consider being 'cloned'? Lol The world can use more people like you.

PS Glad your wife is doing so much better.

GuardSquealer responded:
The inmates working on the yard with me seem to be gaining a sense of pride in how the place looks. Yesterday there was an inspection and it pretty much looked like a part around here.

The vegtable garden is coming along, we have been moving the sod. It is a big job, but we are making progress. The seeds have started to grow, that is fun to see them popping up.

I am trying not to focus on what there crimes are. Most of the guys working with me are in for drug offenses. So it isn't too bad dealing with that.

I am hoping the overtime keeps up for the next few years. Will bring my retirement pay up substantially. Plus help pay for the boat expenses. The wife and I are really excited about this summer and taking out the boat.

Thanks everyone.

fcl replied to GuardSquealer's response:
What's more, Guard, is that you could well be giving them a foothold in the working world. It seems too me that gardening businesses are always looking for employees. You'll have helped give them the experience that may get them a decent job ...
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

darlyn05 replied to GuardSquealer's response:
To add to FCL's last reply, they are gaining self confidence, esteem, and all else(hope they can maintain this and not relaps) that they will need in pursueing employment.

I hope your retirement plans materalize for you and your family. Happy boating!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Name is Jason. I'm 31 years old, I'm an engineer. I've been married to my wife for 12 years, we've been together 16 years. We have 3 k...More

Helpful Tips

Books for relationships/love
I know we've probably shared this in the past, but I thought it would be nice for the new exchange. These are books I've found to be ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 300 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.