Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
Round Two
nph106 posted:
Well it is back to counseling tomorrow afternoon. Definitely not looking forward to this. It has been a total rollercoaster couple of days, and I feel like I am going to be a babbling fool the minute I get asked a question. I decided a couple of days ago to do some journaling, just to get rid of some thoughts. Not sure if that is productive, because I end up in a pretty negative place every time. I will have to ask my gal if that is a good idea or not! I have never done this before, and it is much more difficult than I ever imagined. I have had a couple of panic attacks the last couple of days, and that is a new experience for me too. This stinks.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Personally, I think journaling is a good idea. You get those negative thoughts out of your head instead of keeping them inside and stewing in them.

1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on responded:
NPH106,

I totally understand what you mean about journaling, but i do agree with TL. Getting those thoughts out is a great thing. I know at first it can put you in a dark place and that can be very rough. Do you share with your therapist what you journal about? Even after a good therapy session i can find myself down, just talking about certain memories can bring you down. But its a process, and feeling angry/mad/upset etc. is part of the process. The biggest thing you can gain from therapy is how to deal/cope with those emotions. They ultimately may never go away, but if you know how to deal with them in a more effective manor that can be a huge advantage.

Also journaling can be a great way to track progress. Before i got into therapy, i used to write a lot and it was some very dark thoughts. Then i started to get help and i went back and read some of those poems i wrote and realized that, you know what? i have progressed. many times i didnt think i was making any progress, but after looking back, it sure did. Id love to say that all those dark feelings are gone, they arent, but i am learning how to see them in a different light.

Keep doing what your doing, it will be painful at times and happy at others, just like the rollar coaster your on now. But you have to believe in the process and be willing to tear down your walls and open up 100% with your therapist.

i wish you the best!

IC

fcl replied to 1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on's response:
Great post, IC!
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

Spotlight: Member Stories

simply put im 41 my wife's 38 we have been married 19 yrs. have three children monica-19, shawn-16, samantha-13, my wife has diabetes, acute bi-po...More

Helpful Tips

How to change my story
I went to my community profile and it would let me edit my picture and signature but would not let me change my story. I had just realized ... More
Was this Helpful?
135 of 144 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.