Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

This Exchange simulates the original Couples Coping Support Group. It is designed to help persons with concerns in their relationships, family, marriage, seperation, divorce, etc.Offering a wide range of real world, personal experiences, information, knowledge, suggestions, & views from real people.
Leaving for Military
An_251822 posted:
My son is leaving in 4 days for Boot Camp. I feel really happy and depressed a little bit I know he's going to fine. As a mother I tell myself he's a young man wanting to better himself start a new career. We have always been close Mom just need to let him go and fly. I was wondering if any one else is dealing with something like this or been through it.
Thank you.

SC_ArmyMom responded:
Hey... My son has been in the Army almost 3 years now.. I totally understand what you are going through... He has even spend a year in Afghanistan (the worse year of my life) but he is so happy and content... He can't imagine doing anything else now... That's what gets me through each day, knowing that he is doing exactly what he wants to do with his life... What more can a Mom ask for then our children to be happy... hang in there... There are lots of us military Moms out here....

Be proud of your baby for he is doing an amazing thing.. He's in that 1% that is willing to go into the military..

I am so proud of my son and all our military all over the world

Jumper2011 responded:
My son joined the military (Air Force) a year and a half ago and it's been a great ride for all of us. It's tough seeing your kids leaving the house knowing they're going out on their own. But the pride you feel when you know they succeed is great. When my son graduated basic training, it was especially emotional for both of us. I'm nearing the end of my military career (retire this year) and he's just beginning his. To me it equates to a changing of the guard or passing of the torch.

It does get easier! Believe the transformation you will see in your son at graduation is awesome. Good luck to you and your son

TexasMother43 replied to Jumper2011's response:
Thank you I feel a little better.

TexasMother43 replied to SC_ArmyMom's response:
Thank you.

Jumper2011 responded:
Any word from your son yet? How are you holding up?

TexasMother43 replied to Jumper2011's response:
Hello, I haven't heard from him just keeping myself busy at work. I'm sure he doing great he did phone once he got to his Atlanta and St. Louis airports. Thank you for checking on us.

Jumper2011 replied to TexasMother43's response:
It took a while before my son could call home. He called us once he got to Basic just to inform us he made it safely then it was a couple/three weeks after before he could make his first "official" phone call home (he was able to call home on Thanksgiving thanks to the family who "adopted" him for Turkey Day). Recruits are expected to earn the right to make phone calls and write letters. Stay positive! No news is good news

What branch of service is he entering into?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm the mom of two beautiful girls, a 10 year old and a 7 1/2 month old. I'm currently going through a seperation/divorce, so I'm excited ...More

Helpful Tips

Get on with your life.
Once they cheat, believe me they will always cheat, they don't know the real meaning of true love & devotion. If it bothered him in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.