Skip to content
EYE COMPLICATIONS
ravenjen posted:
Hey All! I am a new member here, and was wondering if any of you had experienced eye problems with IBD. I have Crohn's Disease and have had pain daily in my eyes for the past three years, with other manifestations throughout my body for the past six.
If you have had eye problems, what were they? How have you managed the pain?
I am not on any meds that could cause the eye pain, and I am working a lot with my opthalmologist. Just curious. Thanks!

kaj2313 responded:
Hi, I also have had eye trouble. Sore and felt like my eyes balls were swollen. I was put on steroid eye drops then after that just eye wetting drops. It comes back and then I just do the steriod drop again. My eye Dr. said you can get the inflmation from Crohn's in the eye just like any other part of your body.
Seems to work for me. I'm not sure what your exact eye issue is, but hope this helps.
Julie

rednewbie responded:
Yes! My eyes used to always run. Its awful, sometimes they would run like I am crying. Only one at a time, and more so when I am laying down, so my eye makeup is always smeared under my eyes. And since I am a redhead its noticeable!! I have found an eye drops called systane lubricant drops work great. I have to use them twice a day... Morning and night, but they make a huge different. Its one of those things, where you really notice when you miss a day of using the drops.. As long as I use the drops, my eye do not run at all.

Hugs,
Gin

lindsay827 responded:
I guess eye problems are common with an IBD. I was on Remicade and I guess inflammation is common while on this drug as with many other drugs for cd or uc. I would experience times with bad blurred vision which was very scary. My dr. yanked me off of that medication thinking it was causing. It did seem to subsite but I still get it from time to time on my current meds (humira, methotrexate). I would definitely advise paying attention to the symptoms and it sounds like your're on the right track.. good luck!

NewTeamFirstLady responded:
I have had high eye pressure off and on since I was diagnosed. My ophthalmologist watches it ever closely and I usually get put on a steroid eye drop. It's painful and feels like pressure right behind the eye ball. Some times my optic nerve is also inflamed.

Another problem I have had was that my eyelids actually filled with edema and were so heavy I couldn't open my eyelids, This has only happened twice, thank goodness. It's pretty scary.

I am followed by a couple doctors that specialize on the eyes and optic nerve.

Laurafr responded:
I have had problems in my left eye since I was in my early 20s (I'm 39 now). I've been diagnosed with Iritis and within the last 6 years the iritis (or Uveitis) has been flaring up much more often - at least once per year. I kept pushing my doc to test me to see why the iritis kept coming back. He did a bunch of blood tests and all negative results. The opthamologist would give me the steriod drops (Pred-Forte) and wetting drops and it would eventually go away. The last flare up I had was pretty severe and eventually caused an infection for which I had to have surgery on my eye to remove the infected tissue because it wouldn't heal. Not long after that I began having severe nausea and was not able to keep any food down. The docs believed it was my gall bladder so they removed it. After that surgery, I began having diarrhea and again I could not keep any food in me. Finally my GP sent me to my GI. After colonoscopy and GI series and numerous blood tests, my GI said it's Crohn's.

The part that I find interesting is that I believe I had Crohn's back in my 20's when I first started having iritis. I've had different stomach problems all my life and I even had severe pain for a while when I was a kid, but it was never diagnosed.

I was just "officially" diagnosed last week after a very painful, unpleasant, frustrating and exhausting past two months. I'm just beginning on this journey, but I appreciate all your posts helping me figure this out.
Laura

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Barbara and I was born/raised in S. California, Since 1996, I have lived in Tucson, AZ working in reservations for a major airline. Bef...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.