Skip to content
Newly diagnosed - What to eat?!?!
Laurafr posted:
Hello all! I posted a while ago while I was in the midst of about a million tests. My GI finally diagnosed me with Crohn's on June 16th. (I'm 39) I began taking Entocort that day and I'm feeling slightly better. Still having symptoms, but I do see signs of hope that the Entocort might be working. I'm having terrible joint pain, but my GI doesn't want to send me to the rheumotologist yet because he doesn't want me on anything but the Entocort for now. (Does that sound right to anyone else?)

My biggest question is... What the heck should I eat? Ever since the diarrhea got really bad and I spent a night in the ER vomiting, (May 31) I've been on a basically liquid diet - gatorade, vitamin water and Ensure. I've added white rice and cream of wheat occassionally, but I'm a bit afraid to add anything else since I don't understand what is good and what is bad for Chron's.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone could give about learning how and what to eat again. I have been keeping a diary to monitor everything.

I want you all to know how important all of you are! I've followed and read many discussions here ever since I started going through this and all of your advice and sharing your stories and experiences has really helped me cope. This is definately very difficult - trying to figure out how Crohn's fits into my life and how my life fits into my Crohn's; figuring out how to live now with this disease... sometimes it is overwhelming!

Thanks you!
Laura

mindyj1971 responded:
Hi Laura! You will probably get a lot of different answers where food is concerned. Everyone tolerates different foods in different ways. I know for me, when I am having a particularly rough time, I always crave the carbs. Mashed potatoes, mac n cheese....things like that. You're smart to start with a food diary and unfortunately, it will just be trial and error from here on out. Another thing that sucks, is that something that you tolerated today, may not work out tomorrow:( It can be very frustrating, to say the very least. For now though, I would definitely stay away from the fresh fruits and veggies. Just take it slow and eat smaller meals throughout the day.
I watched a video on Web MD the other day and a doctor was talking about how she told Crohn's patients to eat exactly opposite of what she would normally tell her patients. For Crohn's patients, it should be the white bread, not the wheat or whole grain, white rice, low fiber, low residue foods etc. I basically live on BOOST nutritional drinks and Gatorade.
I'm sure this has just confused you even more....I'm sorry if it did. It's just that it is such an individual thing, and just when you think you have something figured out, your body decides that it doesn't want that anymore:(
Anyway, keep coming back....I'm sure others will have some great advice for you. I haven't eaten much in the past 18-20 months because of this disease, so I am, by no means an expert. I have lost 50 pounds, but recently had a temporary colostomy done and have been able to gain about 15 pounds back:)
Good luck...let us know what ends up working for you!
Hugs-Mindy

sheba_q responded:
I poked around and found a starter diet that I've posted on here before. Some of it you're bound to react to, some of it you might not, and there are likely foods not listed that you have trouble with. That's one of the fun things about dealing with something that doesn't have a set diet beyond "don't eat anything that aggravates your condition" - like that helps...

* eat smaller meals at more frequent intervals
* avoid eating many processed foods
* avoid citrus fruit and anything highly acidic
* reduce the amount of rich, greasy and fried foods
* limit consumption of milk and milk products
* restrict your intake of high-fibre foods
* avoid whole corn (inc popcorn)
* cut back on sugary foods
* avoid alcohol (esp beer)

If you're not taking any already, I'd suggest taking vitamins. Your system isn't happy and it's going to need all the coddling it can get. A multivitamin, cal/mag and Vit D would be a good start.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
If you click on resources on the left side of the page and choose "Create a Crohn's Disease Diet Plan" you should get some guidance on how to go about things.

I am sorry to learn you have Crohn's, but glad you have joined us.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 24 yr old who works full time and is finishing my Master's Degree in Mental Health Counseling. I also work part time at a local retailer...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.