Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
To Gin and all,
shy14 posted:
This is SHY.14, I had my ct scan of my abdomen done last Friday and had my colonoscopy on Tuesday. My doctor was very informative. My crohns is now in my large colon- I have many ulcers in the colon.. The doctor show me the pictures, she took several biopsies. I have to see her in 3 weeks. she put me on a new med-- Pentasa 500mg- 2 capsules== four times a day. thats 4,000mg a day--- to me that seems alot per day. I hope this works. Has any one else had this problem? SHY 14

hannahleigh89 responded:
I was also taking a huge amount of Pentasa. With a lot of those drugs, they sometimes start you out at a high dose to get you under control and then slowly lower it down to a smaller dose, depending on how well you maintain your condition as you lower it. Don't be alarmed by the large dosage; your doctor seems to know what she's doing.

mindyj1971 responded:
Hi shy14! I've been on 4000 mg of Pentasa since the day I was diagnosed...September 11, 2008. They have never adjusted it and they have added Remicade infusions to it. I am also currently taking a steroid. Hopefully, you will be able to go down to a smaller dose, but just wanted you to know that I have been on the same dose for almost 2 years now.

Hang in there.
Mindy

rednewbie replied to mindyj1971's response:
Shy,
I have been taking the same dosage of Pentasa that you are for 3 years now. It does seem like a lot, but its a standard dosage. I will tell you when you go to the bathroom you may see little white beads, do not freat that is completely normal. That is the Pentasa and its fine.

I pray it works for you.
Hugs,
Gin

Spotlight: Member Stories

Have had Crohn's since age 17 and since I am now 58 that's a long time. When I was first diagnoised there were no medications so when things g...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.