Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
UC flare up foods
Tiamatschosen posted:
Is there any food that people find are helpful in "subduing" an Ulcerative Colitis flare up. i really dislike dealing with predinzone. right now im taking apriso for preventive measures. but i wanna know what kinds of foods would also help in calming down and preventing flareups.

umekidevoneshannon replied to darkntall's response:
my daughter is 7 yrs old and has a loud smelling gas and loss of weight the doctors says its not diabetes what do you think it might be in your opinion

larsstarscanary replied to darkntall's response:
DNT, I don't know whether to laugh or to cry--I am so happy you tried LSSLUPF and that it works for you! I am ecstatic!!! Would you say that you are in remission? Thank you so much for telling me.

I love everything I've gotten from the swansonvitamins.com website.

May you continue to be in good or even fantastic health.

Lar

larsstarscanary replied to umekidevoneshannon's response:
What did the doctor say your daughter has? If s/he told you what s/he thinks it is, then you can develop a plan of action, saving your daughter from decades of misery. Perhaps after you have a diagnosis, the doctor can send you both to a Registered Dietitian who can tell you about food and how it might be reacting in your daughter's system, and what might possibly be better for her to eat.

I was always underweight until I was 35. In my second year of college, when I was a teenager, I managed to put on a little weight, but the colitis, which I and my first gastroenterologist believe I was born with, caused me to lose 20 pounds in a ridiculously short amount of time, landing me in intensive care for 2 weeks. I always suffered from IBD (I have moderately severe ulcerative colitis), and IBS.

More recently, I had diarrhea in 2006, 2007, 2008 and all of 2009 until just before Thanksgiving when I started taking Lee Swanson Signature Line Ultimate Probiotic Formula. I've been in remission since Thanksgiving of 2009--Almost a year now. (I do take medication for the colitis as well, but the probiotic formula made all the difference.)

I hope your daughter's problem is resolved shortly.

Lar

Grandacre responded:
Aloe Juice is a natural digestive enzyme. It will help the soresl

darkntall replied to larsstarscanary's response:
larsstarscanary ,

THANK YOU for introducing us to Lee Swanson Signature Line Ultimate Probiotic Formula! This stuff is the bomb! Ive been taking it with my Pentasa and its making the Pentasa work even better without all of the side affects. since it was so strong for me, I cut back to take one every other day and it was working for me. But since Ive started catching a cold here and a cold there, Ive went back to taking it every day and I can DEFINITELY notice the difference when I dont take it every day! Their products are so good that Ive started ordering all but one of my supplements from them! And thanks again for introducing us to the Lee Swanson Signature Line Ultimate Probiotic Formula because I WILL NOT EVER AGAIN be caught not taking them everyday for my general health and fight off these dang colds!

You are very welcome!

Sorry to hear you have a cold. I didn't know probiotics would help with that, but it stands to reason that they would.

I'm still in remission with the Lee Swanson Signature Line Ultimate Probiotic Formula, and it has been exactly one year! The "Ultimate" test will be when I go for a colonoscopy early next year: I'm hoping that I won't be sent back to continual or even constant diarrhea.

The temperature here is starting to drop. I'd better close the window.

Anyway, may we all continue in good health!

darkntall replied to larsstarscanary's response:
larsstarscanary

yes, this stuff helps fights colds too! I personally believe that Lee Swanson Signature Line Ultimate Probiotic Formula should be a part of everyone's daily supplements for good general health. This stuff has given me A LOT of benefits in other areas of my general health like eating diary with no problem, offsetting the side affects of this Pentasa, my stool looking like my pre-Crohns days. I believe that its helping to break down all the meds and foods that I eat on a daily basis better because I feel so much better since Ive went back to taking them everyday instead of every other day. Ive done some research on the cost of probiotics offering the same amount that Lee Swanson Signature Line Ultimate Probiotic Formula offers, and NONE OF THEM can beat the price/organism that swansons offer! If its one thing that I WILL NOT DO WITHOUT is the my Lee Swanson Signature Line Ultimate Probiotic Formula for sure! And I will DEFINITELY have my son take it as well as he gets older so that he wont have to deal with being sickly. I wish I had known about how important it is to take some good quality supplements and I probably wouldnt have to deal with this Crohns mess now. But I guess that you live and you learn and thats why I have my son on some kids probiotics now and will switch him to Lee Swanson Signature Line Ultimate Probiotic Formula as he gets older GUARANTEED!

Hi, DarnNTall,

I'm still in remission--It was a year the Monday before Thanksgiving. I still feel good.

I'm so glad that you are doing so well! And that your son will probably avoid all the suffering that we've been through. (I hope he escapes having IBD altogether.)

If only I could find something that works on kidney stones for my cat--He purrs all the time, but he is not well...If you hear anything, let me know. Thanks. (If you happen to have pets or know of someone who has a cat with kidney stones...)

4animals responded:
No, no real foods. You can sip vitamin water, nothing w/acid, orange,lemon,lime.
Orrington Farms has a Gluten Free Chicken & beef broth if you are feeling brave! Sometimes I add rice noodles.
Glutino has great cracker's!

larsstarscanary replied to Grandacre's response:
Grandacre,

Do you think aloe juice would help with scarring in the intestine?

mom2alll replied to arbob5's response:
I have tried the Frappe's and I love them, but the past three times I had one I got deathly ill with an attack. So needless to say I can't drink them. I use to drink them just fine and went a couple weeks without one and then it was a no go. I never know how things will affect me day to day.

arbob5 replied to mom2alll's response:
I do enjoy those caramel frappes. So far I haven't had a problem with them. Other than brain freeze if I drink them too fast. It's just that they're so good (and loaded with calories and fat!), it's kinda difficult to "sip" them. At least it is for me.

Give them a try again every one in awhile and maybe you'll get lucky and will be able to tolerate them again. It's interesting that they didn't originally bother you and now they do. Hmmm, I wonder why.

suggestaname replied to larsstarscanary's response:
Can you please tell me where you would get pfobiotics?? I have no idea what they are. But I am really having problems and need to get something that will help. I care for my daughter that has MS. And it is getting very hard to do when I am dealing with colitis. I have been to three different doctors and all they do is change medications. Right now I am on canasa and it is just making things worse. I don't know what to do next-if anyone has any ifromation that may help me please contact me at my e-mail address--rauangel@frontier.com

suggestaname replied to Gealache's response:
How do you know what type of probiotics to take? I have been dealing with colitis for only about 4 months-but nothing I do or don't eat this and that seems to make a difference.

arbob5 replied to suggestaname's response:
I tried a few brands of probiotics to help with my UC, and finally found Dr. Swanson's Ultimate Formula Probiotics. They absolutely did the trick for me. Within about a week, I could really tell the difference in my condition, ie, not as many trips to the john, and mainly, just feeling better all around. I've been on them for just about a year, and I will be taking them for the rest of my life, at least I plan to. They have helped where others failed. Now I am also on a low dose of prednisone, 5 mg., and have been tapering for 3 months, and hopefully will be off by the end of this month. Also I take 2 Lialda a day, and Lomotil, I started out with 4 Lomotil a day and am now down to 2. There have been days where I have forgotten one a day and it hasn't made much difference. But, I feel much better taking the 2. I'm quite comfortable and am in remission now.

You can get the probiotics from swansonsvitamins.com on line. They're $14.95 for a month's supply, and $4.95 shipping. I usually order two or three month's supply, and it's still $4.95 for shipping. Now the other good thing about Swanson's is if you are not satisfied and for some reason they don't help you, you can get your money back, no questions asked. So you really have nothing to lose. Give them a try. I really think they will help you.

Keep us posted.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 39 yrs old, was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2000, but suffered through " I don't know what it is, or it's just stress&q...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance for Medical Expenses
Many with a diagnosis of Crohn's or Colitis are unable to work or enjoy many social or physical activities. The burden of paying medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.