Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Colitis Medication/Treatment Recommendation
Ethancrane posted:
Dear friends,
I was recently prescribed TEVA Mesalamine Suspension Treatment (Enema) to treat potential colitis. (Note: I have had the condition for two years and a sigmoidoscopy suggests that I have colitis in my descending colon).
Initially, the doctor mentioned that I would not have any side-effects from the medication. However, after I took the enema dosage at night time, I developed "wetness"/moisture accumulation in my ears. I ignored the side-effect the first time, however, the second night I took the enema, I once again accumulated wetness/moisture in my ears and ALSO developed slight fever and was extremely lethargic.
I recovered at approximately 5 pm (following the night of treatment) and ceased taking the medication.
I promptly notified my doctor regarding my condition. He recommended that I take alternative medicine: 1) Steroid suppository (Proctosone/cortisone) OR 2) Asacol (pill).
I was wondering:
- if anyone else experience similar reactions using TEVA Mesalamine Enema
- if 1) Steroid suppository (Proctosone/cortisone) OR 2) Asacol (pill) is normally recommended to treat colitis
- at what point does a doctor recommend colonoscopy to rule out possibility of ulcerative colitis
Thanks,
Ethan

sheba_q responded:
Hello again

I haven't heard anyone having trouble with enemas, although that doesn't mean it never happens. Steroids (basically anything ending with 'sone') are a short term treatment to get things under control. The side effects from taking them for a long time can be really nasty. You need to take a long term maintenance drug, usually starting with the 5-asa drugs - Asacol being one of them.

I was initially diagnosed with probable ulcerative colitis/possible Crohn's by sigmoidoscopy. It wasn't until the 10 year mark that I started getting a colonoscopy. Why does your doctor say you "may have" colitis? Did he take biopsies? That should be able to say plenty, even if only the first part was scoped.

arbob2 replied to sheba_q's response:
I used the mesalamine enemas for a short time with not much success, simply because I couldn't retain the "stuff" for very long. It was a waste of money for me. I think I retained it only once for the entire night. Usually within one hour of inserting it, I would have to poop it out. So much for that treatment.

I would think a colonoscopy would be required to get a true diagnosis of your condition.

Keep us posted. We care.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi to everyone! My name is Donna and I just turned 61. I have very severe Crohn's, and nothing will give me relief. I have taken every medicine, t...More

Helpful Tips

Crohn's Cure - Fecal Transplants Saved My Life!!!
I was very ill with Crohn's for years and finally tried Sky Curtis's protocol for doing fecal transplants at home. After years of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.