Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Asacol Users!!! --> Cushing Syndrome &Side Effects
misskirk posted:
Hello fellow IBD patients. Was hoping you guys could help me out here.

22/F, diagnosed with UC early 2009. Have been on Asacol (mainly, but have had other meds to control flares) since. Dose is 12 pills a day.

I have put on about 30 pounds, abnormal and missing menstrual cycles, also have hypothyroidism, and just recently diagnosed with ovarian cysts.

In the last month to month and a half have been tested for all kinds of disorders and diseases. Most recently tests came back suggesting that I have Cushing Syndrome. Have NOOO idea about this syndrome. Have been doing a little bit of research myself. I have found possible side effects of Asacol being Cushing Syndrome.

Anyone have this as a result of the Asacol use?? Please share, I am hoping for any help out there!!

Thanks!!

sheba_q responded:
I looked around and didn't find anything about Asacol and Cushing's - however I did find: "The most common cause of Cushing's syndrome is exogenous administration of glucocorticoids prescribed by a health care practitioner to treat other diseases." I think pretty much everyone here has used prednisone at some point.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I know that Cushing's is commonly a side effect of prednisone, though the other causes could happen.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have always had diarrhea off and on for years. It would just hit suddenly and come out of no where and dissapear just as quickly. No pain, just diar...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.