Skip to content
Asacol Users!!! --> Cushing Syndrome &Side Effects
misskirk posted:
Hello fellow IBD patients. Was hoping you guys could help me out here.

22/F, diagnosed with UC early 2009. Have been on Asacol (mainly, but have had other meds to control flares) since. Dose is 12 pills a day.

I have put on about 30 pounds, abnormal and missing menstrual cycles, also have hypothyroidism, and just recently diagnosed with ovarian cysts.

In the last month to month and a half have been tested for all kinds of disorders and diseases. Most recently tests came back suggesting that I have Cushing Syndrome. Have NOOO idea about this syndrome. Have been doing a little bit of research myself. I have found possible side effects of Asacol being Cushing Syndrome.

Anyone have this as a result of the Asacol use?? Please share, I am hoping for any help out there!!

Thanks!!

sheba_q responded:
I looked around and didn't find anything about Asacol and Cushing's - however I did find: "The most common cause of Cushing's syndrome is exogenous administration of glucocorticoids prescribed by a health care practitioner to treat other diseases." I think pretty much everyone here has used prednisone at some point.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I know that Cushing's is commonly a side effect of prednisone, though the other causes could happen.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am about to turn 40 in July and was diagnosed with UC in February 2010 after a colonoscopy. I am currently on 20g of Prednisone and 12 Asacol pills ...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful