Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
So sweet
mindyj1971 posted:
I just had to share this....my husband found a pad of paper on the couch and written on a sheet of paper, in my daughter's awkward 7 y/o handwriting, was this...."When I grow up I be a docter to hlep my mom becuase she is sick".

Hugs to all-Mindy

hannahleigh89 responded:
That is so sweet. Sounds like you've got some good kids, Super Mom.

miserable_sob replied to hannahleigh89's response:
So where are all the other 7 year olds who grew up to be doctors and can't do squat for me?

arbob5 replied to miserable_sob's response:
Mindy, that's adorable. As they say....kids say the darndest things. And they certainly do. God love em all!

All I can say is TRY Dr. Swanson's Ultimate Formula Probiotics. I know you think it a scam, but take it from me...they have worked wonders for me, and I truly mean that. $14.99 for a month's supply...isn't it worth it to give them a try? There are so many positives about this product on this web site...please try them. They just might help you and you won't know until you try them.

miserable_sob replied to arbob5's response:
Arbob do you have a J Pouch? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on probiotics from J Pouch patients.

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to miserable_sob's response:
have you head they cause problems for the jpouch or just don't work?

It might be that some strains will work and some won't help much - I use Natren probiotics and their packaging says that Lactobacillus acidophilus is good for the small intestine while Bifidobacterium bifidum is good in the colon - so I'd imagine that the second one wouldn't help much but the acidophilus might. there is a 3rd strain, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, and it is suppose to be good for "transient flora" which I think means through out the entire system.

all in all though, I think these kinds of things work great for some people but not for everyone, so all you can do is try...

No I don't have a J Pouch. But try whatever you can...you never know what will help. Do you really want help or not? If you really truly do, try probiotics. They may help, and then again, they may not. We're only trying to give you some tips of what has helped some of us. That is exactly how I started on these probiotics. Thank God someone suggested I try them.

Today in Walmart I passed by some Kefir milk, which happens to be a probiotic. Since I'm Lactose intolerant though, I decided not to purchase it. What other probiotics are on the shelves that I can purchase without containing Lactose in them? I really can't eat fruit or vegetables either.

Yeah, Kefir is pretty strong - and I've found the plain is better at helping my gut - but is a dairy product. Some of the baby cereals now have probiotics and are dairy free (like the creamy rice cereal) but I expect it would be the equivalent of eating yogurt. The supplements out there are way more potent than you'd get from eating yogurt. If you're wary of ordering stuff, I'd try the vitamin shoppe if you have one around you. I don't know if they'd have the swanson's that everyone loves but mine has a variety of products. I'd still try the swanson's since everyone raves about them, but if that's not really an option, maybe you could find something that would work there.

miserable_sob replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
It's too bad they don't have any other probiotic products @ Walmart or do they? I was curious and searched and found this http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/11997236/spring-valley-multi-enzyme-probiotic-200-tablets-reviews/reviews.htm
I don't mind gambling with $7 So the next time I visit Wally World I'm going to see if I can find that stuff. At less than half the price of Swansons it's worth the risk.

sounds like its worth a try - I'm always so glad for online reviews. hope it helps!

arbob5 replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
Wally World has several probiotics. At least ours does. I don't believe any of them are really "reasonably" priced. And I don't think a "cheaper" one will work. As they say "you get what you pay for". I don't know tho...you might strike gold with a less expensive one. Align didn't work for me and it's twice the cost of Swanson's. I also tried FloraJen 3...didn't work, and about the same price as Swansons. So, keep trying until you find one that works for you. and don't expect overnight miracles. It may take a couple of weeks.

Ali there's not many reviews to be found about Spring Valley Probiotics. So they're still kind of a guessing game, especially when I've seen reviews on other products that were good. But when I tried them my opinion on the product wasn't so great. Sometimes the reviews are fake too, such as a review on a restaurant might just be written by the owner of the restaurant. For most part reviews can be helpful, especially when you can find lots of them. Although everybody's taste does differ or what I mean is you'd still have to put a gun to my head to go out and buy a Lady Gaga CD just because of some glowing reviews on it.

Arbob, maybe you're right about the whole idea of you get what you pay for. But I saw Amazon.com wanted a lot more for Spring Valley Probiotic than Wally World does. That's why when looking around for a lot of products I try to take Wally's into consideration too if I believe it's reasonable. I'm just sorry Wally doesn't sell Swansons too.

I agree with you completely. I purchase "stuff" from Amazon after checking pricing at other places. Sometimes they're better and sometimes they're not. But again, I do wish W.W. would sell Swanson's probiotics. They probably never will. They sell so well on line, or by phone, etc. that probably will continue. Of course, I wouldn't ever put anything past Wally World . They usually get what they want. I wonder if they were "bombarded" with requests for a certain product, if they would go out and try to get it. Hmmm, maybe. Also, I'm on Lomotil which, along with the probiotics, have worked well for me. Now with your particular situation, would Lomotil be an option? Or, have you already tried it? It does require a prescription.

Also, I sense that maybe you are becoming more open to suggestions from this site. That's great. Some darn good stuff coming out of here, that's for sure. We've all "been there, done that", and that's what is so good about the info we can give or get. Agree?

Spotlight: Member Stories

March 24th of 2009, I started undergoing immediate treatment for Crohn's Disease. My symptoms began 6 years ago. It hurt to eat food, I would rapi...More

Helpful Tips

Trips to ER
When I get out of the hospital this time, one of the first things I will do when I get home is to pack a small bag with toiletries for my ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 30 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.