Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hypoglycemia
shanna105 posted:
Hi there. I was diagnosed with Crohn's a little over 10 years ago. I am not currently on any medication, and had been controlling my symptoms fairly well with healthy diet. While flaring, I frequently experience hypoglycemia-type episodes, including nausea within an hour or two after eating, dizziness directly after eating, and irritability that goes away after eating easy sugar. I've not found any references that directly link crohn's-induced hypoglycemia (though hypoglycemia references alimentary hypoglycemia, caused when stomach contents empty into the intestines too rapidly), and just wondering if anyone else has this problem and any tips or advice for dealing with it. Thanks!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi shanna,

I am bumping this up to see if any of our other members are experiencing this.

Anyone else experiencing symptoms like hypoglycemia when flaring?

Elizabeth

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I sometimes have trouble when I haven't eaten in a while with shaking and crazy hunger, and it takes something like a snickers bar to get me back to good, but no problems after eating, and I haven't noticed if its better or worse in relation to the Crohn's.

are you on prednisone? I think it can mess with your blood sugar. When I first started, I was crazy thirsty and my GI had my GP test my sugar levels.

Ali

lahow replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I get lightheaded and dizzy at times with a flare. I can eat healthy meals (like oatmeal or eggs and toast), and my sugar still drops to the 30s a couple hours later. I've had paramedics make me eat something like a sandwich and retest an hour later. My sugar will sometimes still only be in the 50s.

Jmoroni78 responded:
Shanna105 I have the same symptoms for years, and since I started my cimzia treatments I don't have them nearly as often and nowhere near as bad. So I am certain my battle with hypoglycemia is related to my Crohn's. It would be my guess that it has something to with malabsorption caused by the inflammation, but my doctors won't confirm or deny.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Diag with UC in 2007... Thought I had a bacterial infection from drinking out of the same cup as a dog (I've done worse). One peek with the sig, ...More

Helpful Tips

Joint Pain
For those posting with arthritic problems and joint discomfort, I have lymes disease and fibromyalgia. Like everyone else, I'm hopeful for ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.