Skip to content
No Coke, doest it really make a difference?
miserable_sob posted:
Yesterday for the first time since I can't remember when, I went the whole day without drinking one Diet Coke. I started drinking it long ago when my gastrologist advised me to give up all foods containing sugar. I made the switch to Diet Coke then. Giving up sugar still wasn't enough of a sacrifice to co-exist with my Colitis though. When I had flare ups, I wouldn't touch Diet Coke then. But now that I have a J Pouch, I've continued to drink Diet Coke. I'd try to quit it if I thought it really made a difference. Although from what I experienced yesterday, it made no difference that I could notice. I was really hoping I could get more uninterrupted sleep. I noticed no difference though
FirstPrevious12NextLast

sheba_q responded:
Just like with food intolerances, giving something up for one day isn't likely to make much difference.

hannahleigh89 responded:
I don't drink much soda. But when I do drink one, if it has caffeine, I can't sleep. Not that I sleep well anyway. Maybe you should try caffeine free Coke. It's what I've been drinking when I do drink one. It isn't so bad.

miserable_sob replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Hannah I do drink the Caffeine Free Coke. Although I haven't noticed any difference when I drink the caffeinated Diet Coke. Since I don't see any difference though, I figure I might as well stick with the caffeine free Diet Coke. As far as I know, all my other drinks are caffeine free too, unless my chocolate soy milk has some in it.

arbob2 responded:
In all these weeks of responses to your posts here, it seems you have very little patience with things. Sometimes things just take more than a day or two, or a week or so in order to notice a difference.

The same with Wal Mart probiotics. If they don't work within a few days or a week, you seem to feel they just don't work for you. Maybe they would if you took them until they were gone. Who really knows, and everyone is different

And it also seems you don't think positively about taking the probiotics. Negative thinking sometimes can lead to negative results. I personally think the power of positive thinking is absolute marvelous. It has gotten me through many, many difficult times. And I also think a sense of humor about yourself and everything in general, goes a long way.

It may sound like I'm preaching, but we all just want to help you improve physically as well as mentally if we can. That's what we're all here for....to lean on each other, pass along helpful hints, suggestions, etc. You have had a very rough 20 years with your pouch. We realize that, and while I pesonally haven't been through what you have been through, I try to think how much worse off I could be, and that kinda shakes my core and I then realize I'm really OK.

Look forward to hearing from you.

miserable_sob replied to arbob2's response:
Arbob I posted my first impressions of the probiotics here. I'm still on them and still see very little difference. That depresses me deeply. I've been unhappy with this miserable life of mine for over 20 years now. That's just one more reason why I'd be willing to gamble with options such as a Colon Transplant. I'm actually more worried about the cost of it than what the outcome of it would be. I know the guarantees are slim.

I'm also back to drinking Diet Coke again, I might as well since I feel addicted to it. But still I don't smoke, drink or touch drugs, so can't I have one little pleasure in life? Yes, I'm frustrated and very upset about this whole ordeal as I should be. PMA doesn't work for me when what I'm going through is basically 1-2-3 strikes you're out! Have you ever seen anybody walk away from home plate with a smile on their face after they whiff? I think not, it's just another miserable slap in the face. I'm at that point now where I've failed so much, they might as well boot me out of Little League.

arbob5 replied to miserable_sob's response:
So you didn't make it to the majors...no reason to give up. I just wish you would TRY Swanson's probiotics, just once.....and if it doesn't work, you get your money back. If the ones you're on now aren't doing it for you, move on. As I said before, add up what you've spent on these less expensive probiotics and I'm sure it's more than a month's supply of Swanson's. We come to this exchange for help and suggestions, and we usually take them. With the diseases we are fighting, we have to be open to suggestions from others in the same or similar situations.

That's the way I feel about the whole thing. Tell me I'm wrong. OK, your opinion, but I know what DOES indeed work most of the time, IF YOU LET IT WORK FOR YOU! Open the door to people who have found something that works. And give it a try!

miserable_sob replied to arbob5's response:
Arbob, I'm very frustrated now. I still have plenty of other alternatives. As I said before if Swansons was available in a store or they could have confirmed it's what I need for my J Pouch, I would have gave it a shot by now. Otherwise I just view it as another probiotic. I can't even find anybody recommending it on the J Pouch board. At least the stuff @ Walmart only costs me five dollars. I'm too depressed now to deal with more possible failure.

hannahleigh89 replied to miserable_sob's response:
What probiotics from Walmart are you taking? I tried Align but I was only a week or so into it before they took my colon so I don't know what the results would have been, but Align was much more than $5. For a month's supply, it was about $30 I believe. So I'm very curious what you're getting for $5. I know you're frustrated, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

arbob5 replied to hannahleigh89's response:
I agree with Hannah...you get what you pay for, except that Swanson's is $15 for a month's supply. That's a good price but if you go on their web site, all of their products are quite reasonable. Again, Align was "some" help, not much, but Swanson's has turned the corner for me. And I know it probably doesn't help some people, but I have only heard positives about it. Hannah, web is swansonvitamins.com.

darkntall replied to arbob5's response:
arbob5

I concur with you concerning those Swansons Ultimate Probiotics! They are the REAL DEAL! Last Sunday, I came down with a very bad cold and at that time I was taking those swansons probiotics every other day and doing pretty good with it until that cold. Long story short, after 4 consecutive days of taking those Swansons Probiotics, that horrible cold was gone! I KID YOU NOT!

This is stuff is like a natural medicine! Since they helped me get over that cold, Im FAITHFULLY taking these REAL DEAL probiotics EVERYDAY along with swansons other high quality supplements! And to top it off, I didnt even have to take any OTC cold meds, besides some tylenol for the headaches from congestion, to get rid of it! ONLY THOSE SWANSONS UTLIMATE PROBIOTICS EVERY DAY!

I thought that I would share this exciting news with my fellow crohnie homies!

miserable_sob replied to darkntall's response:
Darkntall I'm happy to hear you ditched your Cold, I know how how annoying they can be. Maybe the Swansons helped, maybe it didn't though. I've had Colds that come and go without using probiotics. For some odd reason it must be around 10 years or so since I've even caught one, which is highly unusual for me. It use to be an annual thing for me. I don't know what's going on with my system and why that is? My only guess is I've been exercising more lately. My diet has changed too.

Hannah I bough the Multi Enzyme Probiotic made by Spring Valley at Walmart. I've felt it make a difference at times, although presently I'm not satisfied with my outcome, after using it for several weeks. What really upset me is my pouch still woke me up last night, and woke me up early again. I can only wonder now if I'll ever get 8 or more hours of straight sleep with no interruptions again? That hasn't happened to me in over 20 years. I believe it's screwing me up mentally now. I get use to this annoying routine of mine, while at the same time I don't. I do remember checking out Align probiotics too, and keeping away from them after I viewed the price. I still haven't heard of any sure fire probiotics to use, for people with J Pouches.

darkntall replied to miserable_sob's response:
SOB

It wasnt anything else but taking those probiotics everyday straight because I didnt take anything else for it. Well, Im definitely a FAITHFULL, EVERYDAY user of it now. Im only sharing my recent experience and sticking with what I KNOW DEFINITELY works for me but you just stick with what works for you.

miserable_sob replied to darkntall's response:
Darkntall, since I haven't noticed any real difference in my case, my strategy now is to take more. I figure I've got nothing to lose since I've just about given up on the Walmart stuff. None the less when I Google Probiotics and hit the news button, it's amazing how they're making such good news now. But this isn't the first time I've seen so much hype for what turns out to be a failure later.

miserable_sob replied to miserable_sob's response:
Geez last night was horrible for me. I lost count of how many wakeup calls I had. The only thing that helped me was taking 1 Benadryl before I went to sleep. That helps me return to sleep faster after I wakeup. None the less, since I've been doing that for year, I was very annoyed with what I went through last night.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Diagnosed with Crohns in June 2009. Had a resection in October 2009. In the process of healing and trying to learn how to not cause flare-ups. Am on R...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.