Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lost with Colitis
FrustratedFlora30 posted:
I was recently hospitalized after thinking I was better off dead. I was just released yesterday after 2 wks of being in hospital. They call it ulcerative colitis. Knew absolutely nothing about it so of course I had to get some info. I was given a list of different meds and dosages. The GI Dr's didn't give me much help verbally. I'm frustrated and need some kind of answers. I'm still waiting for the doc's offices to call me back... Which of these meds will I have to stay on and which are just when it gets bad? Cipro 500mg 2x daily, Asacol 800mg 3x daily, Xifaxan 200 (400mg 2x daily), Zofran 4 mg every 6 hrs. ??

Magsjeanea responded:
FrustratedFlora,
I have Crohn's and am on Asacol. This helps coat the intestines to ease the irritation and only dissolves in the intestines. Zofran is used for nausea as you need it. Cipro is an antibiotic to help with the infection and Xifaxan is an antibiotic that is also used to help eliminate the diarrhea. In this community we all know how devastating it is to live with this pain and disease. My brother just had a colon resection due to UC with strictures and he is feeling great. I hope you go into remission soon and if you need to vent to anyone just vent with us. We all need someone who is going through the same thing as yourself. Welcome to the community!
Hope all goes well,
Cheli
Love goes there Cheli

FrustratedFlora30 replied to Magsjeanea's response:
Thank you so much! After countless yrs of having these issues I can finally put my finger on it! It's relieving to know. I have been going out of my mind after getting out of hospital. I had the pleasure of picking a few brains today, research and more research about the meds and condition.
At the end of today (which is so close I can feel it considering I'm still up doing research at 4am) I'm thankful for many websites, pharmacist, nurses, fellow UC and Crohn's patients and free samples! I have no insurance so everything is pricey! I may need to remortgage the farm just to pay for 2 wk supply of Xifaxan! I'm glad to know that it won't be a long term med. Asacol will be long term from what I understand. I'm still trying to figure out the diet out... right now it's steamed white rice, bananas, fish and chicken breasts. I'm staying away from spices for sure. There's just certain things I'm gonna cry about giving up eating aka chocolate and peanut butter and possibly milk! I'll be talking to my doc about which probiotics should be started as well.
Thank you for the welcome into the community It's wonderful to know I have a place to go and relate now! So what's remission like? It sounds a heck of a lot better than what I'm still going thru after a 12 day stay in the hospital.
I'm very happy to hear your brother is feeling better! Big hugs to him... not too tight that it'd hurt him!

larsstarscanary replied to FrustratedFlora30's response:
I gave up fried stuff, milk, ice cream, cream, butter, coffee, spices, black pepper, red pepper, soda, whole wheat, wheat bran, bran, salad, etc,

My doctor told me to take a probiotic called AlignGI, but it did nothing for me.

What worked for me is the Lee Swanson Signature Line Ultimate Probiotic Formula.

If I had had the LSSLUPF when I was a baby, I'm sure I would have been saved decades of suffering.

Anyway, best wishes for a speedy recovery and remission!

sheba_q replied to larsstarscanary's response:
Here's an IBD starter diet. Yet another one of the fun things we get to deal with is that there isn't a set diet, other than "don't eat what bothers you".

* eat smaller meals at more frequent intervals
* avoid eating many processed foods
* avoid citrus fruit and anything highly acidic
* reduce the amount of rich, greasy and fried foods
* limit consumption of milk and milk products
* restrict your intake of high-fibre foods
* avoid whole corn (inc popcorn)
* cut back on sugary foods
* avoid alcohol (esp beer)

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to sheba_q's response:
also, I've found that taking plenty of vitamins helps me stick to my safe food bc it keep the cravings down. it seems that when I'm missing vitamins and mineral I want to eat all tons of stuff - much of which angers my gut.

oh, and the safe foods for me that I've found (I'm still trying stuff):
  • chicken
  • rice
  • milk (yeah - odd)
  • aged cheese (haven't tried anything else)
  • fructose
  • fish
  • turkey
but everyone is different

and yeah - I'd avoid popcorn - I ate it one day and the pain was so bad I didn't think I'd be able to drive home

larsstarscanary replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
You're making me hungry!

larsstarscanary replied to sheba_q's response:
I agree with your list. Ruby red grapefruit really tore through me, as did other citrus fruits. I couldn't eat seeds, including popcorn and corn...

I'm getting so hungry!

darkntall replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
I agree taking my cocktail of vitamins has REALLY made the difference in the way I eat and feel too! And they have made taking Pentasa much more tolerable too!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 24 yr old who works full time and is finishing my Master's Degree in Mental Health Counseling. I also work part time at a local retailer...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance for Medical Expenses
Many with a diagnosis of Crohn's or Colitis are unable to work or enjoy many social or physical activities. The burden of paying medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.