Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Darkntall
kaj2313 posted:
Question on the Swansons we have a store here as it is where they are from. My question is what do you take to keep colds like sinus at bay? I have crohns and am in remission 10 months don't want to take something that will put a spin on it. But I've been so sick with sinus problems. I walked in to the store and didn't even know what to look for! Help me out if you can please!! Being sick in the head isn't as bad as sick from the crohns but it's getting where I have to call in sick and spend about as many $$$ on Dr and drugs! Anything you got will be helpfull Thanks,

arbob5 responded:
Swansonvitamins.com is where I order my Swanson's Ultimate Formula Probiotics. They have worked wonders for me and right now my UC is very much under control, and I have to say it is because of these wonderful probiotics. I tried others, with no luck at all.

I believe Darkntall has had luck with these as far as colds go too. I haven't noticed that, but then again, I haven't had a cold for quite awhile. But, I do feel much better overall.

They are $14.00 for 30 capsules, $4.99 shipping. If you order 1, 2, 3 or whatever bottles, it is $4.99 shipping. Also, they have a money back guarantee, so if they don't work, you will get your money back.

There are many others on this site who have good luck with these, but then again, they don't work for everyone. I would say they help more than not. Give them try. You can't lose because of the moneyback guarantee.

larsstarscanary responded:
What does your pcp say about your sinus trouble? As much as I swear by the Swanson probiotics, I think you should see your doctor, if you haven't already.

I'm not big on medications/drugs either, but it's good to know what the doctor says the problem is in the first place.

I had a couple of head and chest colds that were beyond me--I didn't think I could get rid of them. The doctor prescribed medication that really did the trick and quickly--No Guesswork!

darkntall responded:
I take swanons ultimate probiotic, Swanson Probiotics NutraFlora
cinnamon, COQ10, Longevital multivitamin, calcium and magnesium glycinate, MegaNatural-BP Grapeseed Extract ,Swanson Premium Natural Dry E ,Swanson Ultra Methylcobalamin (B-12) , Swanson Premium High Potency Vitamin D-3 .

I cant tell you what to take for your sinus problems. But as far as me, I wanted to try something natural before I finally tried any kinds of meds, otc or presciptions. All I know is that i all ready take a gang load of Pentasa pills for my Crohns and I didnt feel like take any more meds so I decided to give some good quality supplements a try..And thats what I found in the Swansons supplements. It took a while for them to completely get into my system, but I can honestly say that overall I feel much better since they have.

My PCP knows everything that I am taking and she told me to keep taking them if they arent giving me any problem. I also watch what I eat and exercise a couple of days a week. I am not naive to think that Ill get all the nutrients that my body needs by food and thats one reason why I chose some good quality supplements---to give me the nutrients that I dont get from food.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Kaj2313,

I thought I'd pipe in to give a suggestion on sinus remedies.

When I get even a slight cold, it blossoms into sinus infection, bronchitis and asthma. I was taking prednisone and using 2 different inhalers 3 - 4 times a year.

Over the summer it started again, I asked my doctor for other suggestions and tried a Neti Pot . I was amazed at how quickly it cleared things up for me, and used it again in the Fall when getting cold/sinus symptoms.

Check with your doctor and ask if your symptoms may benefit from a Neti Pot. BTW, I bought a cheap store brand one.

Hope you feel better soon,
Elizabeth

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
not that its natural - but I have to take both a nasal steroid and an rx antihistamine to keep my sinuses clear. I go the natural way when I can but I keep getting ear infections if I don't do this, so I do. There are times during the year that I can take only one (the antihistamine or the nasal steroid) and sometimes even every other day but right now I'm taking both every day

kaj2313 replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
Question what's the difference in probiotic and regular vitiams? I'm on vit D, Cal, Vit C and a mutlti vit. along withe the predisone and Methotrxate ( which is the sorce of the sinus stuuf and ear problems.

I will try the Neti Pot as the Dr also told me to try it. thanks everyone for the help and advice!!!

Julie

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi there. It feels like I've been dealing with intestinal issues my whole life. I was first diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis when I was 17; I'...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.