Skip to content
YAY!!!! Humira was approved!!
JavaMamma27 posted:
Delivery is set for next Thursday!! I am getting a 3 month supply. I am approved for a year at no charge!!! WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephanie
FirstPrevious12NextLast

hannahleigh89 responded:
Congrats. I started Humira and methotrexate yesterday.

JavaMamma27 replied to hannahleigh89's response:
It took 3 weeks to get approved. I don't have insurance to cover it. I am uninsured. So, I had to apply for patient assistance from the drug company.

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to JavaMamma27's response:
congrats, I know it can be crazy expensive!

Hannah, how is humira compared to remicade?

hannahleigh89 replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
I'm not sure how well it's going to work yet, but it's the last in the line of biologics so I didn't really have a choice. The physical differences, in case that's what you meant, is that Remicade is infused and Humira is in a pen that you inject. I think the Humira will be better, if it works, because I don't have to get poked multiple times to get an IV started... Just one jab and I'll be done with it, lol.

I have to do one pen every two weeks after I get my loading dose done. The loading does is four pens, then two weeks later, two pens. Then the regular dosing starts. (The four pens in one day is difficult Stephanie, but you'll get through it. I did, my legs are just covered in bruises, lol.)

Methotrexate comes in a vial and you use a regular syringe and needle to draw it out, and then inject it into the muscle. I have to do that once a week now.

I have had to give myself injections before. Did it for months at a time. And I didn't have an outomatic pen! I had to inject the med!

hannahleigh89 replied to JavaMamma27's response:
The pen hurts a little worse than regular injections, I think. It stabs in real hard, and the medicine burns when it goes in. But it's still not too bad. The four in a day was just a little overwhelming for me, so I wanted to warn you.

When I was pregnant with my kids I had to have steroids to mature their lungs since they were early. Those were the MOST painful injections ever. Even the Nurse and Dr said so. I have never cursed at a nurse like that. And then 24 hours later you had to get another injection. Ha ha ha. My leg burned for days after.

hannahleigh89 replied to JavaMamma27's response:
Yikes. Like I said, I'm sure you'll be able to get through it.

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to hannahleigh89's response:
yeah, thanks - I was curious if it'll knock you on your butt for 2 days. I'm still working and the idea of taking off the day for the remicade injection and then the next day bc it makes you feel so bad would use most of my PTO for the year... I was hoping that bc you dose every 2 weeks the effects wouldn't be quite so strong.... that 4 in a day sounds rough! You are such a trouper

I'm still doing pretty good, although I'm in a bit of pain today - it appears that tapioca is bad for me - which totally stinks bc its one of the few low fiber gluten free grains, and gluten is DEF bad for me.

Steph, I'll be interested to know if you can handle gluten w the humira. You don't have celiac's right? I didn't get tested before going GF but my GI says he'd still see effects even though I've been GF for 5 years now and it doesn't look like I do, its just irritating the crap out of my crohn's...

Good luck to both of you, I hope it does wonders
~Ali

hannahleigh89 replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
So far, it hasn't seemed to be nearly as crazy next day as Remicade was. It can still cause flu-like symptoms and headaches, but the nurse that showed me how to do it recommended taking Tylenol and doing the shots right before you go to bed so that you can sleep through it.

I definitely don't feel as worn down after Humira as I did after Remicade, even with doing the four shots at a time.

MartPQ replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Hi Hannah....how is the Methotrexate working for you? I just started yesterday and really hoping it works. My GI was also considering Humira, but not sure when.

jaimem92 replied to hannahleigh89's response:
From what I understand, Humira is less likely to react too. Remicade is made out of mouse protein and Humira is made from synthesized proteins in a lab. So we are far less likely to have a reaction or as bad of side- effects... That is what I have researched anyway. I haven't heard if Humira is as successful in abscess and fistula healing- that's the big plus to Remicade supposedly.

hannahleigh89 replied to MartPQ's response:
I've only done two shots so far. I don't know how quickly it's supposed to work, but I can't tell a difference yet. With things like this, I don't generally expect any kind of result for at least a month or so.

kaj2313 replied to hannahleigh89's response:
I was on Humiria, but had side effects and was switch to Methotrexate. I haven't had any side effects from it. Was put on it before I had resection and I am still on it. I do like the cost and it's easy to use!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm in my early-mid 30s & just got a firm dx of Crohn's this year (April 2010) but have been feeling ill since the end of college. I use t...More

Helpful Tips

Crohn's Cure - Fecal Transplants Saved My Life!!!
I was very ill with Crohn's for years and finally tried Sky Curtis's protocol for doing fecal transplants at home. After years of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.