Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Colon Removal
Chattie1955 posted:
I have had left sided colitis for 15 years. I do not have many flare ups, but am constantly constipated. My father had colitis for many years with constant flare ups. He died in the 70's with colon cancer at my age. My doctor has advised me that maybe I should talk to a surgeon and get information about having my colon removed because of family history. I was totally caught off guard. I thought I would just have my colonoscopies every year to keep an eye on things. He informed me that things can be missed in colonoscopies and if I was to get cancer it could be quite aggressive. Any opinions??

miserable_sob responded:
Sounds to me like you're between a rock and a hard place. I hate the whole idea of living without a colon or as in my case an amputated colon. I'm not recommending this to you but if I was in your shoes and my colon didn't bother me that much I'd keep it and just go through the colonoscipies process. A friend of mine did get cancer of the colon. They removed part of her colon after that and made a J Pouch out of the rest. She never liked her pouch but had no other real alternatives, unless she wanted to live with a bag.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in January 2010. When I was 16 my mother was diagnosed with Colon Cancer and passed away a few months later. She was ...More

Helpful Tips

Trips to ER
When I get out of the hospital this time, one of the first things I will do when I get home is to pack a small bag with toiletries for my ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 30 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.