Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Gluten-Free
jaimem92 posted:
Curious, does anyone here do a gluten-free diet? Since having my flare up last week, I decided to give it a try. I've been feeling really well since probably Friday, but it could be the steroid I just got off too. I've been completely gluten-free since Wednesday. So just curious as to how many other Crohn's people have tried this.

OyWithThePoodlesAlready responded:
I've been gf for about 6 years. it actually put me into full drug free remission for about 3 years. It makes such a difference for me I thought my issue might be celiac (at the time I'd gotten a "maybe/probably" crohn's explanation). I started it bc it made my upper GI stuff pretty much go away but the lower abdomen pain went away after a few months too. Unfortunately it didn't last forever and my crohn's has gotten worse since, but I'm still GF. I'd love to see if I could tolerate it but I don't want to make things worse. I really miss good bread but feeling better is worth pretty much anything. My friend w UC said GF worked just as well as scd and is easier. He was actually able to tolerate some spelt. It does seem that the diets are just a stop gap but that's not the end of the world in my book if I can delay some of the harsher stuff.

everydayizagift replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
That's awesome, being in remission for that long. I miss those days. I can't seem to reach remission and it's been a few struggling years with complications and hitting road blocks. If Gluten free works... hey, it's soooo worth it to stick to the diet religiously. There are so many options and substitutes in replace of food with gluten that sometimes you can't even tell the difference. The down side is that gf food is pricey.

Join my community that I just created - That Girl's Support Lounge - Intestinal Disorders and Diseases
Don't forget that Everyday is a Blessing! Keep looking up and remember you are never alone. Sincerely, That Girl

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to everydayizagift's response:
yeah, I have to say GF isn't bad - except the bread. Its not great in even the best situations - plus I can't tolerate too much tapioca which is what is usually used to make it kinda chewy and not so crumbly - so I basically don't eat bread.

It has taught me to cook more from scratch - a lot of foods have just a bit of flour in them so making them gf from scratch is easy (ie, cheese cake - mmmm)

JavaMamma27 replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
ooooohhhh!!!! I make my own bread and it is EASY and FABULOUS.

For the flour I use: I make BATCHES of this up and use it in everything from pancakes, to cookies, pie crusts, cakes, bread, soup thickeners etc....

1 cup rice flour
1 cup glutenous rice flour
2 cup Bob's red mill gluten-free flour mix.

Then I mix: (this can be mixed up ahead and frozen)
3 1/2 cup flour mix
1/2 cup powered milk
1/4 brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp Xanthan gum

Combine dry ingrediants in mixer, mix WELL.

1 1/2 cups water ~115 degrees
3 tsp yeast
3 eggs
3 TBSP canola oil

1. Combine yeast and water. Wait 5-10 min until foamy.
2. Add all wet ingrediants into dry. Mix on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
3. Batter will resemble muffin batter. This is perfect.
4. Spoon into greased loaf pan.
5. Place in warm oven (I set mine to 200 for 1 minute, then turn it off)
6. Let rise for about 35-40 minutes.
7. Turn oven on to 400 and bake 40 minutes.

Cool and slice!

Bread only needs to rise once. DO NOT beat it down. IT WILL NOT RISE 2X.

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to JavaMamma27's response:
oh wow, you make it by hand - I'm impressed I've only made it in the bread maker and the only bread I really enjoyed was altering mixes to make pumpernickel - mm that was good and was pretty comparable to a gluten based pumpernickel - but def didn't compare to a good sour dough. I think that's my problem - sour dough was my FAVORITE thing and I can't even imagine replicating the texture of that.

Also, I think part of my dissatisfaction was gf bread was still making me sick - I'm hoping it was just the tappiocca and I might find a bread that hits the spot

Thanks for the recipe! I'll have to play with it once I can eat solids wo getting sick again. (Bob's has tappiocca flour in it but I'll play around to see if I can mimic it w something else)

the one exception to my original statement is these cinnamon rolls - I've had gluten eating friends tell me they're just like cinnabon! only thing I do different is a cream cheese frosting and use an egg substitute so they're more dense - like cinnabon

http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/2007/03/cinammon-roll-of-your-dreams.html

mmm - cinnamon rolls

(have I mentioned I haven't had anything but juice, broth, and protein shakes for 2 weeks? I'm going to dream about these tonight )

JavaMamma27 replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
I don't have the discipline to stick to liquids. Even though solids make me sick, what do I do?? I still eat.

This bread recipie is JUST as easy as a bread maker, and I think it is easier.

hannahleigh89 replied to JavaMamma27's response:
I understand what you mean. I lack discipline most of the time now when it comes to anything dietary. I've been so sick and everything makes me feel ill anyway that I've developed a terrible habit lately of just eating whatever I want.

The thing I've noticed though is that if it gets bad enough, I can stick to the liquids. If I'm sick enough that my body really needs me to stop eating completely, I can do it. I seem to lose my appetite when it gets to that point anyway.

Is that how it is for you? Or are you at that point where you absolutely should not be eating? Because there have been many times when I probably shouldn't be eating solids but I do anyway, and there's a difference between the two. I think you understand what I mean though, lol.

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Oh, don't give me too much credit - I loose my appetite at the drop of a hat. I might be able to talk myself into a little meatloaf or chicken right now - but very little. Its just easier to drink shakes when I'm like this - bc they keep the cravings down and fill me up. Oddly enough, I enjoy thinking about food - just couldn't get myself to eat it. I think I make my healthy friends feel bad trying to live vicariously through them - I'm constantly asking "ooo - is that good" or suggesting things they should eat

Spotlight: Member Stories

All I have now are body aches. Colonoscopy found pan UC 11/2008. I had reoccurring iritis before starting Apriso.

Helpful Tips

Assistance for Medical Expenses
Many with a diagnosis of Crohn's or Colitis are unable to work or enjoy many social or physical activities. The burden of paying medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.