my 3 year old has abdominal pain
mommy811 posted:
Someone suggested that I post my discussion in this community.
My 3 year old daughter has been having abdominal pain for almost 10 months now. She hurts off and on all day, every day. The pain only last for seconds to a few minutes at a time usually. When she urinates and has a bowel movement it hurts her a lot..she screams/ cries and tries to hold it in. Her bowel movements are mushy not normal. She wakes up at least once a night screaming with pain. When she hurts real bad she screams/cries uncontrollably and tries to scratch at her stomach so I just have to hold her till the pain stops.
We have been back and forth to the pcp, emergency rooms, Gi doctor numerous times. She has had 3 xrays, allergy testing, blood work, stool samples, been on miralax, fiber. And is having a colonscopy and endoscopy done on march 8th.
Anyone that has an advice or has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated!!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jaimem92 responded:
Welll, I don't have a lot of answers for you. Hopefully the colonoscopy and endoscopy will show some answers.. I mean it defnitely sounds like stuff I've gone through with Crohn's- but everyone is different too.. I'm not sure how a 3 years old would show something like Crohn's or UC. Good luck though! I will be praying that you find answers so they can help her.

OyWithThePoodlesAlready responded:
that has to be so hard to see your daughter in so much distress. Hopefully the scoping will give you some answers. What prep are they having her do?

mommy811 replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
She can't have any solid foods the day before and nothing after 3am. We have to do a enema and a cap full of miralax every hour for 4 hours. That is going to be a rough day at my house! especially since I have a 2 yr old and 9 yr old at home that like to have snacks as well. I guess everyone is going to be on a jello/popsicle/juice diet for that day. lol
Yes, it is very physically and mentally draining for me. I just want my healthy, energetic 3 year old back!! It breaks my heart to see her in pain. I have been trying to research as much as I can and have been to 4 different emergency rooms/different doctors etc. Hoping that someone would have a clue. Just praying they see the problem and it will be an easy fix when she goes in for surgery.
Thanks for your concern!

mommy811 replied to jaimem92's response:
Thank you for the prayers!! We definitely need them.

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to mommy811's response:
Wow, I can't imagine what it must be like for a 3yo, preps make me grumpy even when I understand!

a few thoughts that might be helpful:
- the miralax makes me nauseous, but I find if I drink a gingerale after it each dose makes it not so bad for me.
- I can not have enough jello - it feels like you're eating even if you're not
- Last time I bought a new video game for prep day and that made the day not so bad, though its never fun whatever you do.
- as you can imagine with so much laxative, things can become pretty urgent, my friend's mom pretty much moves into the bathroom for the day instead of making a run for it
- I've done the prep when I was behind on my calories and that was so much more miserable than last time when I had more of an appetite and was able to eat a large dinner the night before the fast

I know it'll be hard to watch her go under anesthesia but things should be relatively simple after the prep.

I really do hope you can get some answers, let us know how things go!

mommy811 replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
Def gonna get some gingerale since u suggested it. Already got 10 boxes of jello so she can pick her flavors and we can make jello shapes..and a big box of banana popsicles. I figured we would be camping in the bathroom for awhile.
As far as the anesthesia goes, they will be putting her to sleep before they do the iv so I'm thankful for that. Will keep you posted.

Thank you for the advice:)

JavaMamma27 replied to mommy811's response:
When my daughter had surgery last year, after she woke up she was HYSTERICAL for about an hour. The nurses said that was normal for that age. She had just turned 4 a couple of days before. Just a heads up.

Have they done a blood panel for Celiac's? It is VERY common. Also, have you tried an elimiation diet? We did that with my son when he was 2. He was having TERRIBLE abdominal pain several times a day and would scream for hours. Turns out he can't have any soy products. When we discovered that, and took out the soy, we had a MUCH better child.

Hope you can get some answers soon.

Steph

mommy811 replied to JavaMamma27's response:
Yes they have tested for celiac and it was negative and they also did a test for allergies.We took her off milk for a month and did a journal of her pain/bowel movements/what she ate for 2 months and gave a copy to her gi doctor to review.

Thanks for the heads up!!

JavaMamma27 replied to mommy811's response:
allergies and intolerances are different. My son does not have a soy allergy- it is an intolerance. An allergy causes a varying degree of a life threatning reaction. An intolerance causes pain/discomfort. I have a non-celiac gluten intolerance. I am not allergic to gluten, but I can't tolerate it.

My grandfather also gets VERY ill with abdominal pain if he eats fruits with any seeds in it- strawberreis, sesamae seeds, etc. They get "caught" in the lining of his small intestine and cause inflamation and pain. And I have heard of others who get ill from eating seeds.

I hope it is food related. I am still pissed my issues are not. Food related is a MUCH easier fix than the meds and treatments for UC and Crohns.

larsstarscanary responded:
I'm so sorry your 3-year-old has to go through a colonoscopy! I'm so sorry she's suffering and that you are suffering too.

I have ulcerative colitis and had 4 years ('06, '07, '08, and '09) of diarrhea, until I took probiotics which stopped the diarrhea that the maintenance medication didn't stop. (AlignGI, probiotics, didn't work for me.) What worked for me is Lee Swanson Signature Line Ultimate Probiotic Formula--I've been in remission since Thanksgiving Day, 2009.

I, too, had suffered horribly especially from infancy through my teen and young adult years. (No one knew what was wrong when I was little.) I was given a negative prognosis by my gastroenterologist--I would have been dead 14 years ago, if I had listened to him decades ago. I've outlived this disease by many decades!

I accomplished all the things the gastroenterologist said I never would do.

I hope all goes well.

mommy811 replied to JavaMamma27's response:
wow I feel silly for not knowing there was a difference! Thank you for sharing.
So when your son was having pain and you were trying to find out what the cause was how did you pin point it was soy? Did you just take away certain things until you figured out it was soy? Or is there some sort of test? Did your son have severe pain when he urinated or had bowel movements before you realized it was the soy causing him abdominal pain?
Sorry for all the questions I'm just completely overwhelmed here!!
Thank you so much

mommy811 replied to larsstarscanary's response:
My goodness it sounds like you have had a rough time and I am glad you finally got a diagnosis so you can get some relief!

Having my daughter undiagnosed is one of my biggest fears. I have a 15 year old nephew that is special needs and undiagnosed. Seeing my sister struggle with him breaks my heart.

My daughter's gi doctor did put her on probiotics for 2 weeks when she was having straight diarrhea and she was on a antibiotic for being sick.. it made her bowel movements from liquid like to mushy. Sorry to be so graphic. But her pain did not decrease on the probiotics. He took her off of it. And said the next step would be a colonoscopy/endoscopy.

Thank you for the well wishes and take care!

larsstarscanary replied to mommy811's response:
How did the colonoscopy and the endoscopy go?

sisterdidit responded:
OMG I have gone through the same thing and nothen since she was born. We have done all the tests and still she lays on the floor and grunt and get real stiff and crys. She has had all the medical stuff done without any results. I do not know what to do she is on miralax, fiber, gripe water, gas pills and everything else I can do to help her. I was hoping you got some result because our story sounds the same and I am at the end of my rope with these GI doctors that wont help...