Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Colonoscopy Countdown...
larsstarscanary posted:
I go for a colonoscopy in a few days. I am not a happy camper! I'd really like to make this my last colonoscopy--I'm tired of taking that prep stuff that always seems to be taken off the market after a while. I refused to take a gallon of Golightly again. I took Golightly at least twice. But heck, I'm just sick and tired of colonoscopies. I've been taking them since I was a teenager--That was decades ago.

I'm going to have to talk to my doctor again--I probably wouldn't mind taking citrate of magnesia the way they used to do in the old days without all the horrid side effects. I don't need my innards blasted out of me.

If the doctors had to go through this yearly themselves, they would not prescribe this stuff. I doubt if many of them would even have colonoscopies. I'm tired of what I believe is experimentation with this prep stuff from these "cutting edge" doctors.

I'm going to talk to him about either citrate of magnesia next time or nothing at all. I haven't had polyps, I haven't had enduration, I haven't had cancer....This is ridiculous.

And there was a nurse once who was giving one of my previous doctors a hard time--The nurse set up the used colonoscopy tools for me and was quite resistant about getting rid of them and getting fresh tools. Unbelievable--and this was at a major metropolitan hospital. Thank goodness my doctor was a young-but-tough thing! She was fabulous.

sheba_q responded:
I wonder if you could smuggle the prep I take (it's still not available in the US). My GI suggests it as it's "less gross". It tastes like ground up orange chewable Vit C. I liked it better before they 'improved' the taste, as it was bland and I could mix it with fresh juices. When it's time from my scope I worship my juicer.

http://www.pico-salax.ca/eng_home.html

JavaMamma27 replied to sheba_q's response:
My prep was 4 Ducolax followed by a 64 oz bottle of gatorade mixed with 1/2 a 14 oz bottle of Miralax. Then floowed by another bottle of gatorade and the remaining miralax. It really wasn't too bad. I would do that again. Whatever my mom did 2 years ago was different and hers was NASTY.

My GI wants to do another Colonoscopy just for "curiosity". I told him "Hell No." I need a better reason!

hannahleigh89 responded:
I've had 7 or 8 of the things myself. I've used the Golightly and the pills that you take a whole bottle of in a few hours. Neither of those preps are pleasant. By the time you're half way done with the bottle of either one, you feel like you're going to throw up anything you've eaten for a week. But if you throw it up, enough of the prep doesn't go through so you have to try to hold it down.

The Gatorade sounds like it might not be too bad, but that's still a whole lot of fluid. I think that's one of my main problems. I'm not used to drinking that much that quickly. But at least it wouldn't taste too bad.

arbob5 replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Well, I say while the prep is nasty, nasty, nasty, it's gotta be done, so like it or not, we've gotta do it, with whatever options we're given. If the uncomfortable 24 hours or so is what needs to be done so a dx can be made, I just go with the "flow" (bad choice of words or what?) and get it over with.

My opinion only, I know, but that's just me.

JavaMamma27 replied to hannahleigh89's response:
The gatorade was at least palatable. I was able to SLAM it fast and it did not drag out. Keep it really cold and it was doable. At least with gatorade you feel like you are drinking something "normal".

mindyj1971 responded:
So sorry, Lars, that you have to continue having this awful test! Now that my colon has been removed that is the one good thing that I try to focus on! No more of that nastiness! After I had my colon removed and developed the abdominal infection, I did have to drink some of that Citrate of Magnesia. It is nasty, too, but it is a small bottle compared to the gallons of junk that we normally have to drink:) When I had my last colonoscopy, I ended up only drinking some of it because the "return" was clear before I finished the entire prep. I've never had any problems with the prep not being good enough. Maybe you could get away with just drinking some of it....I don't know how fast your systems clears itself out:) Good luck to you and know that we are thinking of you:)

HUGS
Mindy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in August of 2008 after several months of bouncing around to different doctors trying to find answers. For mon...More

Helpful Tips

Trips to ER
When I get out of the hospital this time, one of the first things I will do when I get home is to pack a small bag with toiletries for my ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.