Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Colonoscopy Countdown...
larsstarscanary posted:
I go for a colonoscopy in a few days. I am not a happy camper! I'd really like to make this my last colonoscopy--I'm tired of taking that prep stuff that always seems to be taken off the market after a while. I refused to take a gallon of Golightly again. I took Golightly at least twice. But heck, I'm just sick and tired of colonoscopies. I've been taking them since I was a teenager--That was decades ago.

I'm going to have to talk to my doctor again--I probably wouldn't mind taking citrate of magnesia the way they used to do in the old days without all the horrid side effects. I don't need my innards blasted out of me.

If the doctors had to go through this yearly themselves, they would not prescribe this stuff. I doubt if many of them would even have colonoscopies. I'm tired of what I believe is experimentation with this prep stuff from these "cutting edge" doctors.

I'm going to talk to him about either citrate of magnesia next time or nothing at all. I haven't had polyps, I haven't had enduration, I haven't had cancer....This is ridiculous.

And there was a nurse once who was giving one of my previous doctors a hard time--The nurse set up the used colonoscopy tools for me and was quite resistant about getting rid of them and getting fresh tools. Unbelievable--and this was at a major metropolitan hospital. Thank goodness my doctor was a young-but-tough thing! She was fabulous.

Magsjeanea responded:
Lars, my GI gave me the Osmo prep. It was wonderful. You take several pills every 15 minutes and then some Miralax. It worked really well and didn't get me sick. Then another doctor gave me a Miralax prep which was Miralax capful every 15 minutes for an hour or so and then some Dulcolax tablets. That was an easy one too. I am sorry that you have to go through this so often. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2007 and went into remission 7 months later and they have never even said they wanted another colonoscopy, but I don't relish the thought of going through that again. Good luck, hope all goes well.
Take good care,
Love Goes There, Mag's Jeaneau

larsstarscanary replied to Magsjeanea's response:
Thank you, Magsjeanea. I will ask my gastro about Osmo Prep.

(I had the generic form of Miralax the last time--I began to puke it up after a while. I had never thrown up before, no matter how distasteful, but that stuff was my limit...)

I am very happy for you in remission. I hope you never have to deal with Crohn's again.

I, too, am in remission, but there's the possibility that this prep stuff will knock me out of my year and a quarter remission. Time will tell...

Thanks for wishing me luck.

Magsjeanea replied to larsstarscanary's response:
lars, when I took my Miralax I put it in Sprite and it has no taste at all, what got me was just the thought of it. I was a nurse for years and am still a chicken about certain things and a prep is one of them..lol. Hope this doesn't put you in a flare, I will be praying against flare.
Take good care,

Jeaneau (Mag's is my granddaughter, that's what she calls me) we are French from New Orleans...lol...gotta sound French

Bon Jour! J'ai oublie beaucoup des mots et je ne peux parler plus, maintenant. Un jour, je voudrais etudier autre fois.

C'est une bonne idee, le Sprite. J'ai besoin d'une boteille.

Demain je vais faire des achetes pour la soude. Merci pour prier y pour la soude.

Je suis tellement content que vous en r?mission aussi et je ne pense pas que la pr?paration vous mettra dans une fus?e ? nouveau. Bonne chance avec la proc?dure!

Magsjeanea replied to Magsjeanea's response:
PS; Vous ?tes les bienvenus pour l'astuce Sprite. Prenez bien soin et nous dire quels sont les r?sultats quand vous les obtenez. Les ?treintes! Michele

The gastroenterologist told me that I have scarring. I understand from people on this site that scarring occurs with colitis, and that it can cause blockage, and that it can be removed surgically, but that the surgery can cause scars as well.

I am still not a happy camper.

Lars, sorry to hear about the scarring they found. Anytime you have inflammation with ulcerations of mucosal tissue you can have scarring. Usually having the surgery will remove the scarred area but you could possibly get adhesions from the surgery, it's a catch 22. I am glad that the prep did not put you in flare again. That is what always worries me about having to have another colonoscopy. I was originally diagnosed with Crohn's colitis with no activity in my terminal ileum.
Lately I have been trying to get rid of constipation and now not sure if it is the magnesium I added to my medications or if I am coming out of remission. I guess I will know soon enough. Glad they didn't find anything more than scarring. Good luck with staying in remission.
Take good care,

I can't take magnesium because it always makes me start running to the bathroom too many times.

I hope you are not coming out of remission. What does the doctor say about magnesium and a flare?

Bon courage!

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to larsstarscanary's response:
I think magnesium works like a gentle laxative - obviously not what you want if you're already running - but useful if you have the opposite problem

Thank goodness I am not coming out of remission. I just have to tweak my magnesium and stool softeners. It shouldn't take too, too long. My system is extremely sensitive GI tract like everyone else. My doctor is not treating me like I have IBS constipation and wanted me to take large doses of Miralax. I much prefer to adjust stool softeners and magnesium to get better results, that was I know I won't have the runs just a tad bit of urgency for several minutes.
@Hannah, I am so sorry that you have to have more testing done. I know you won't be comfortable, wish we could do something to ease your pain and discomfort. Hope results are positive and you can get some relief.
Take good care,

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 34 year old woman living with Crohn's disease. In 2005 I had to receive a permanent Ostomy. I really thought my social life was over, it to...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance for Medical Expenses
Many with a diagnosis of Crohn's or Colitis are unable to work or enjoy many social or physical activities. The burden of paying medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.