Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How do I pay for surgery w/o insurance?
JavaMamma27 posted:
Does anyone know of any resources to help pay for surgery and a surgeon? I am VERY underinsured ($500 mx benifit/year). We make too much for Medicaid. I have a strong possibility of needing surgery soon, but no way to afford it. Thanks in advance for any help!

jaimem92 responded:
I use the Patient Advocate Foundation.. search them online. I'm not sure if they do surgeries.. but they pay for all my medications

shanna_02 responded:
Depending on your hospital or doctors office, many offer self pay discounts of a set percent. In addition some will go beyond that depending on your income levels. The hospital that I work at will write off up to 95%. Call and talk with some one there and they can give you the infomation and forms to complete to help you. Good luck!

darkntall responded:
JavaMamma27 , Have you ever thought about going to a University-based hospital? I did and it paid for all of my surgery back in '97 and gave me quite a few samples too.

JavaMamma27 replied to darkntall's response:
We have University of Colorado here, but to access their teaching hospital in Denver for assistance, you have to be a Denver resident. I miss the border by 5 miles.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
This info may be helpful, Assistance for Medical Expenses .

Check to see if Colorado has the Medically Needy program.

Elizabeth

JavaMamma27 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I turned in a 1" pile of medical bill with my medicaid application, and was still denied. We make $300/ month too much to qualify. I was LIVID. I was hoping to get the "Medically Needy" to help with all my bills. I am now over 30K that I owe with no end in sight. I also need 36K in meds/ year IF my Humira is not doubled- then it goes up to 60K. Those are covered my the drug companies- THANKFULLY.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi my name is Aaron Wu. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis on December 2, 2011. My symptoms appeared late September, as mild abdominal cramping a...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.