Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Looking for a little hope...
AmyOneDay posted:
I am a single 28 year old female and I have been sick almost a month now. It started, I thought as a case of food poisoning or the flu. After a half of box of Immodium, my symptoms were getting worse. I was out of town on business at a conference in Las Vegas when I almost passed out. I landed myself in a Vegas ER for dehydration and then admitted to the hospital for 4 days. They put me on two different antibiotics, blood tests every day, stool samples, I could not eat or drink anything due to the intense nausea and no definitive answers. The CT scan showed thickening of my Colon. The ER doc said UC, the hospital doc said gastroenteritis and to just get back home and "feel better".

I have not had a fever or bloody stool, which I understand is typical of UC, but am in almost constant cramping and pain. I went from 11 days of diarrhea when this all started to constipation and now back to diarrhea from my docs recommendation of taking Myolax. My primary care physician gave me a slew of meds, Hydrocone for the pain and a few days ago put me on a 6 day run of Prednisone. Neither have really helped.

I have on short term leave from work while I wait for an available GI to see me...I only have a consultation April 19. I'm frustrated and don't know what is really wrong with me. I have spent hours of reading about UC, probiotics, low residue diets, flare-ups, remission, stress and of course, the worst case scenarios. I just feel really alone in this and don't know where to even begin getting a grasp of all of this. If you have any recommendations, please write.

Thanks,
Amy

Magsjeanea responded:
Amy, I am so sorry that you are feeling so poorly. Digestive disorders are extremely difficult to diagnose, seems like every doctor has a different diagnosis. The biggest problem is that different medications work for different people. Some people have good outcomes with 40mg or more of Prednisone, I, myself had success with Asacol, Prednisone, and then later Entocort. Dehydration is a really big problem along with malabsorption of food in UC or Crohn's. Diverticulitis is extremely painful also. Please understand that you can come here and ask any question you need answered except asking for a possible diagnosis. It is against WebMD policy for us to try to diagnose you since we are not physicians. We can give you our experiences and what we are being treated with but that is about it. You can go to each of our avatars and read our stories about our illnesses. Some of us are in remission from Crohn's like myself and some have had the extreme surgery of having their colons and rectums removed, colostomies, ileostomies and bowel resections. Some have fissures and fistulas and some of us are just lucky by the grace of God not to have them. I hope you feel better and you get the answers you need from your consult. Hope all goes well.
Take good care,
Love Goes There, Mag's Jeaneau

JavaMamma27 responded:
I don't have much to offer except to tell you that you are not alone. I feel like Crohn's has stolen my life. I have been unable to work for 6 months, and most days are a struggle. I am in the hospital for the 2nd time in less than 30 days. The last stay was 4 days, don't know how long it will be this time.

Feel free to vent here. I am SO THANKFUL for everyone here. Most days I don't know what I would do without my fellow IBD sufferers.

stephanie

mindyj1971 responded:
Hi Amy...Welcome to our group....sorry for the circumstances that bring you to us, but you have reached a wonderful, compassionate group of people.

I signed up on this board in September 08 after being diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. (I also thought I had a stomach bug....my kids had it for a couple of days....mine just never went away.) My journey with this has been an awful struggle from day one...as it is with so many of us. I have had 5 surgeries...the most recent being to have my colon and rectum removed. I now have an ileostomy. I have had fissures, fistulas, abscesses; I've lost count of the trips to the ER for dehydration. I've been blessed in the sense that my disability through Social Security was approved on my first application with no lawyers involved. I've been off of work now for a little over 2 years.

I know all of that does not sound like much "hope" ....but I really just want you to know that you are not alone in your struggles with this. I have a wonderful support system in my family and friends....but no one gets it quite the way the friends on this board get it. Continue to vent and ask questions....about anything....we have seen, heard or lived through it all! Do not be embarrassed about anything. (OH, the stories we could all tell:)

Big hugs to you....
Mindy

norcal1mom responded:
Hi, my name is mary on march 6th I got major cramps passed a huge blood clot went to er was admitted told i had a major colitic attac went throw the iv attatibiotic and everthing under the sun spent 10 days in the hospital sent home with little info about my problem cant eat sleep or crap right now was up all night with cramps my dr. on leave for new baby please help i gave in and took some phillips is this o.k. dont even know what to eat.. my other name is norcal1mom help me if anyone can.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm in my early-mid 30s & just got a firm dx of Crohn's this year (April 2010) but have been feeling ill since the end of college. I use t...More

Helpful Tips

Pamper your Bum... As often as Possible
Most of you have heard this, but for you Newbies.. Trust me on this tip. Pamper your Bum, to keep your bum from getting raw and sore use ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 47 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.